Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: aquarium/hydroponic chiller
bromosapien
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-6-2024 at 14:01
aquarium/hydroponic chiller

Anyone have experience repurposing such products for amateur laboratory use, like for condenser or cooling bath water? i found a good deal on a “1/4HP, 280w” model - active aqua AACH25 specifically.

i think the lowest temperature setting is 50F but it should be easy enough to override the temp probe connection for manual control, or perhaps splice in a PID to the compressor for custom control. it’s rated to maintain that temperature in a larger volume of water, so with a much lower volume of water and keeping the compressor on i expect i could get lower temps.

basically i’m tired of freezing a bunch of ice ahead of time and having to go back and forth to my freezer a bunch during long distillations, especially those which require keeping the receiving flask cold also.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-6-2024 at 01:31

Had a quick look at a manual for your model:
2300 BTU/h, which is 674W of cooling power - plenty.
How low a temperature can be reached will mostly be determined by the refrigerant,
which I did not notice mention of.

Looks very useful - I'm jealous ;)

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 20-6-2024 at 05:49

My main concern with that device is whether it’s possible to reduce the flow rate to a reasonable level for a condenser. The pump is undoubtably way overpowered for what you want to do with it. Even at the slowest setting it may still be trying to move too much water.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Jenks
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-6-2024 at 11:30

I thought I remembered an alternative that is designed for lab use, but this one apparently requires adding ice, and the selling point is that it provides low vacuum:

VEVOR Circulating Water Vacuum Pump Air 60L/min Stainless 180W Lab Equipment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185530193645

[Edited on 20-6-2024 by Jenks]
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 20-6-2024 at 11:31

Another concern is compressor cycle time which varys by compressor type. For a completely unknown system, a minimum off period of 3-5 minutes between starts should be used.

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
bromosapien
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-6-2024 at 14:26

Apparently the refrigerant used is R134a. I don’t know enough about compressors or refrigerant to calculate any temperature minimim from that though.

Also as far as I can tell it does not have a built-in pump. I have an aquarium/foundain pump that is only slightly overpowered for a condenser, so I think I could just splice the chiller in line.

i’ve also thought it may be more worthwhile to just pick up an AC unit - found an “8000BTU” unit for even cheaper - and disassemble it, submerge the cold side heatsink or whatever it is into my condenser tub…

Go To Top