Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rotovapor-R vapor ducts
prisscot
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-6-2024 at 11:43
Rotovapor-R vapor ducts

Hello,

I have an old Rotovapor-R unit and I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to still get the vapor ducts for them somewhere.

Also, does anyone know if they just made the one length, or if they made shorter ones for vertical condensers?

Thanks for any info.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-6-2024 at 17:49

They have made about 20 different ones, many lengths and versions. if you can provide a photo or detailed length and layout, I can look for them in my collection or Buchi Parts.
If you can put a ruler next to the duct, it will help to try to find a match. What condenser do you have?
prisscot
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-6-2024 at 10:26

Hi Dr. Bob, and thank you for replying.

I don't have a manual or any kind of parts list for the older R unit nor was I able to find much on it (aside from this amazing forum), so I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

I've attached a few pictures of what I'm asking about. I'm not able to get a measurement on the duct I currently have as I had to put it into use with a diagonal cooling coil for right now (first picture).

That said, the original idea was to put our vertical cold trap (second picture) on this, but the original duct looks like it will push into the sidewall if I were to tighten it on since it's so long.

I've attached a picture of 2 ducts from some R-210s we have to give an idea of what I had in mind (third picture). The shorter one is for use with the cold trap since it's vertical.
As far as I can tell these aren't compatible with the older model since they look like they're a different size diameter, but I don't know for sure. Either way, something similar designed for the older R unit would be what I'm looking for.

Hopefully that makes sense.

R with diagonal cooling coil-min.jpg - 998kB cold trap-min.jpg - 1.4MB R-210 ducts-min.jpg - 1.2MB

[Edited on 17-6-2024 by prisscot]
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 17-6-2024 at 11:05

I think they actually are inter-compatible. I have both models and can verify that later. I may have some extra ducts available too. I haven’t taken inventory of my rotovap equipment yet.

Edit: and as far as I can tell, to remove the vapor duct from the old “R” model, you just have to yank on it really hard- it’s a bit scary.

[Edited on 6-17-2024 by Texium]

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
prisscot
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-6-2024 at 13:18

Removing the old one was indeed a bit scary. We had to use a block of wood and a mallet to get it free. I found that technique on this forum as a matter of fact :D. It seems fine now that it's been popped out and cleaned up a bit.

The diameter of the ground joint on the R-210 versions look bigger/thicker than the old one so I didn't try inserting one, but if that's true then it would solve the problem of needing to find a new(ish) one.
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 17-6-2024 at 19:20

I also have a model R with a missing vapor duct... and an R110 where the duct is rather stuck. I have tried gently persuading it with a plank buy maybe I'll just have to try harder.

But more than anything I'm interested in an adapter to use standard 29/32 flasks on my EL130, those seem to be unobtainable...

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-6-2024 at 18:42

I have a bunch of the shorter ducts, if you want more, let me know. There are one or two variations, but most are similar. I think the R shares parts with the R-111 and R-114. I also have a few various ducts with 29/42 joints on them, if anyone wants to use larger jointed flasks. I think I have short and long ones.

I have a bunch of various Buchi parts, and will soon have yet more condensers and other parts.

prisscot
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-6-2024 at 08:06

I have couple 114 units around here somewhere so I should be able to see if those are compatible and go from there. If not I'll let you know if I need one.

I really appreciate your help Dr. Bob!

Go To Top