Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Kicks when boiling solutions
Conure
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-7-2024 at 07:45

I had a bump yesterday when trying to evaporate my first solution of NH4NO3! I got scared! :o

Fire is good. Fire is life.
fx-991ex
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-7-2024 at 08:10

For NH4NO3 i drive most water out on hotplate with stirring then when almost all the water is out(usually temp start rising), i just set the hotplate to keep the sln at around 90-95C with a fan blowing on it.
It take a few hours but i get a very dry product this way.(i usually do that in the cold canadian winter, when humidity is very low.)

Its best to manually mix it once in a while on the last stage, dont want a solid cake at the bottom of beaker that you cant take out and have to redissolve.
Or use evaporating dish.

[Edited on 26-7-2024 by fx-991ex]
Deathunter88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-7-2024 at 21:56

Lots of terrible advice being thrown around this thread, I must say. You should never intentionally scratch your glassware just to avoid bumping, you are just asking for your glassware to break (ever looked into how glass is "cut", you score the glass and then it breaks like crackers). In fact, my lab throws away any beaker or flask that is scratched.

No matter if a measuing cup is made of borosilicate or soda lime, it should never be heated on the stove because the shape is not made to handle the thermal stress and the glass itself is too thick to expand evenly.

Finally, using any old broken ceramic or glass for boiling chips is also not recommended, since they themselves can scratch the bottom of your glassware leading to the same issues as mentioned before.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top