Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mercury Naphthalene Sulfonate
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 20-3-2011 at 01:11
Mercury Naphthalene Sulfonate

I decide to produce mercury naphthalene sulfonate from sodium naphthalene sulfonate
I want to react mercury nitrate with sodium 1-naphthalene sulfonate(this is good way for produce it?)
I need solubility of sodium 1-naphthalene sulfonate and mercury-naphthalene sulfonate in water
Someone can help me?

I want to produce sodium 1-naphthalene sulfonate by below method:

Quote:

sodium 1-naphthalene sulfonate

A 1000 mL 3-necked flask was placed in a Buchi rotovapor water bath. A mechanical stirrer was attached to the flask and a thermometer placed in one of the necks. 50g of powdered naphthalene was placed into the flask through the open neck using a powder funnel. A addition funnel was then placed in neck of the flask. The stirrer was started and 50 mL of 92% sulfuric acid was poured into the flask. Water was placed in the water bath and the water bath was heated to about 45 celsius. The naphthalene slowly dissolved, forming a light purple colored solution. The temperature was regulated to keep the reaction mixture from going above 60 celsius. After the naphthalene had dissolved, 4 hours, the mixture was poured into 400 mL of waterin a 1L beaker. The flask was then washed with water and the washings added to the solution in the beaker. The solution was then filtered to remove a small amount of unreacted naphthalene. 20 g of sodium bicarbonate was then added in small portions to the mixture which was rapidly stirred by hand. The mixture was then heated to boiling and about 35g of finely powdered sodium chloride was added to the mixture with rapid stirring. The sodium 1-naphthalene sulfonate crystallizes out of the solution at the boiling point. The mixture was then allowed to crystallize for several hours in a ice bath. The mixture than consists of a thick mass of crystals that fills the solution. The crystals are then filtered off using vacuum filtration to speed the process. The product can be recrystallized from a sodium chloride solution using the same salting out process with a much smaller amount of sodium chloride. I did not recrystallize my product to save time. The product was then broken out of the filter and allowed to air dry for about a day. Then it was dried in a drying oven set at 100 celsius for several hours or until the product was bone dry. The product was than ground up and placed in a tared bottle. In my experiment the product weighed over the theoretical (90g) because of occluded salts in the product from not recrystallizing.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=11663

Go To Top