Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: gas apparatus - inspirations for reactions
Fery
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2020 at 23:41
gas apparatus - inspirations for reactions

Do you have some inspiration which reactions could be performed in this gas apparatus?

gas_apparatus.jpg - 1.7MB

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 16-12-2020 at 00:23

That's a very nice piece of glassware. A nice reaction (not for practical purposes, but it makes a beautiful demo) would be to have one half of the apparatus filled with NO gas, and the other half with pure O2, which is attached to an O2-generator. If you then open up the center connection and assure that the oxygen pressure is slightly positive, then you get a flow of O2 into the NO, forming a dark brown cloud of NO2 in the NO.

Another interesting reaction may be to mix NO and Cl2, forming orange/brown ONCl.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Fery
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2020 at 05:13

Thank you very much woelen ! When at least one of the gases has a color would demonstrate nice reaction. So I'll try to win such apparatus in an auction where I found it today.

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 16-12-2020 at 05:34

If you do the NO + O2 reaction, then the gases must be somewhat humid. The water vapor is necessary, otherwise the reaction is very slow. When you produce the O2 from aqueous solution (e.g. from 10% H2O2), then there is more than enough water vapor in the gas. In that case, the reaction is very fast and impressive. You also get formation of underpressure (2NO + O2 --> 2NO2, 3 molecules of gas produce two molecules), which leads to sucking oxygen into the NO, once the reaction has converted part of the gas already. I think that you could make a very nice demo from this.

For synthetic purposes, it may also be useful. You have two gas flow path, which can be regulated independently, if you close the center path. If you have two kipp-generators, you could make two different gases and regulate the flow of these gases independently. This could be used to make e.g. SO2Cl2 from SO2 and Cl2 with carbon as catalyst. You can alternately lead Cl2 and SO2 into the mix and observe the reaction going and based on this allow one gas or the other gas to flow into the reaction chamber. In this case, however, you need meticulously dried gases, otherwise you get HCl and H2SO4 instead of SO2Cl2. I myself have wanted to do this reaction, but I never managed to do so, because I do not have the equipment to regulate the gas flows in a decent way.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
RustyShackleford
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-12-2020 at 07:55

Very cute. do you have a reflux condenser that could work with the left part? if so i have an idea
Fery
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2020 at 12:52

Hi RustyShackleford, I do not yet have the apparatus. But no problem adding reflux condenser, at worst made from stopper + condenser without ground glass joints when the size of the aperture of the left part unusual...
Which idea do you have?

Go To Top