Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: urea and hydrogen peroxide dissolving silver?
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

shocked.gif posted on 16-12-2010 at 17:01
urea and hydrogen peroxide dissolving silver?

i made the cyanide synthesis fusing charcoal,urea and sodium carbonate following the thread on preparation of cyanides, although i'm sure i failed because i ran out of charcoal fuel. but anyway i filtered the salts and tried to dissolve gold and silver with it.i read that cyanide reactions are sped up using oxygen or peroxides so i added store bought peroxide and it is just eating away my silver. i now have a milky solution but can clearly see bits of sponge looking silver bits.i took a seperate piece of silver i use for plating which is covered with an oxide coating and put it in pure urea and some hydrogen peroxide and the oxide was attacked immediately.does urea and hydrogen peroxide dissolve silver?i also have a piece of gold i use as plating anode and has a black coating and the coating is being attacked for about three hours now by the salt/peroxide solution
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2010 at 17:40

Not to my knowledge. Cyanide forms soluble complexes with silver, gold, and a number of other metals. Tthe H2O2 just speeds up the oxidation of the metal to the ion which gets complexed, that's why the oxide coating went so fast.

cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2010 at 18:43

if i am indeed making a silver sponge then i must have a silvercyanide compound in solution.boy if i do i will be one happy plating fool.cyanide is king for plating.even the cyanates! i'm just being surprised more and more by hydrogen peroxide.the black coating on the piece of gold comes from potassium cyanate solution using a gold anode. i got no idea what it is. it builds up when i use it to deposit gold into my solution.i guess it's carbon.if it ain't the coveted compound then i got one hell of a cleaner.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-12-2010 at 13:09

correction the piece of gold is used as cathode.

Go To Top