Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Preparation of Samarium Salicylate and Other Experiments

VSEPR_VOID - 12-10-2018 at 20:15

Samarium salicylate was prepared by the reaction of solutions of sodium salicylate with samarium chloride. Upon the addition of the sodium salicylate to the samarium solution, a white precipitate formed. This gel like material was observed to be lighter in color to the corresponding oxide. When this wet precipitate was heated, it left behind a black residue.

Further heating of a suspension of samarium salicylate, in dilute hydrochloric acid, yielded a light yellow-green solution which when cooled gave a white precipitate.

When the precipitate was added to 10% ammonia solution, it dissolved giving a light orange color.

Samarium salicylate has been prepared by simular methods in the past and using aminosalicylate.

------

Samarium chloride was added to a solution of phenol in dry ISPA. A precipitate formed which was confirmed by a control to be phenol.

-----

Samarium oxide was stirred in a weak solution of salicylic acid. No reaction was observed.

----

Samarium oxide was heated with wet picric acid. No detonation was observed, however the picric acid did burn.

Any other recommendations for samarium chemistry?

Tomorrow I may try reacting a solution of picrate with samarium chloride.

j_sum1 - 12-10-2018 at 21:37

Sounds like fun.
IIRC, Sm has a nice flame test.

[edit] Gah! I don't usually make errors like that. Thanks, unionised.

[Edited on 14-10-2018 by j_sum1]

unionised - 13-10-2018 at 03:12

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Sounds like fun.
IIRC, Sa has a nice flame test.

Who or what is Sa?

I'm fairly sure that Samarium (Sm) doesn't give much of a flame test.
https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https...

VSEPR_VOID - 13-10-2018 at 07:52

When placed into a flame it game an orange color

unionised - 13-10-2018 at 08:09

Everything gives an orange colour- it's due to sodium.

Texium - 13-10-2018 at 08:32

Samarium should give a bright red flame color, approximately the intermediate of lithium's and strontium's. I've witnessed it personally.

VSEPR_VOID - 13-10-2018 at 13:49

Its probably being overwhelmed by the sodium.

Still no luck making samarium picrate. I can not get a precipitate when mixing sodium picrate with samarium chloride.