Sciencemadness Discussion Board

BaCO3 from BaSO4 + C (1000 [Celsuis])

chief - 1-10-2007 at 11:12

I want to try the BaCO3 - making from BaSO4 and charcoal. My furnace gives 1050 [Celsius]. Is that enough?
I would powder the charcoal, mix it 2:1 (stoechiometric) with the BaSO4-powder and heat it a while; but there are reports of BaSO4 as an oxidizer for metal-powders: Is it safe with C ?
The BaS then I might as well directly react with some acid, instead of making BaCO3 first ? How to capture and dispose off the H2S? Soda ?

12AX7 - 1-10-2007 at 12:58

Carbon reductions are much calmer than with reactive metals. Be more concerned about the fluidized bed sort of reaction you'll get. Something fluffy plugging the crucible (*cough* kaowool) would help in that regard.

H2S can be absorbed effectively in NaOH/KOH solution. I would imagine suckback prevention and all that is a good idea. Then whatever gasses remain, run through a flame so it's at least somewhat less poisonous SO2.

Tim

chloric1 - 1-10-2007 at 17:16

I think I read the classic book Inorganic preparations that the temperature necessary was closer to 1300 C. If it helps this is yellow heat transitioning to white heat. A well engineered gas flame would be better. I would recommend you take your sulfate with charcoal and add some organic binder and make "biscuits" that can be dried with low heat. Then use a really hot gas flame or oxyacetylene torch and heat the biscuits until they disintigrate into a gray powder this will be your sulfide. In industry, yields are 70% so don't expect complete conversion.