Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Urea

Rhodanide - 4-5-2017 at 08:46

Hey, all.

I'd like to know where I can find Urea. The area I'm in only has NH4NO3 cold packs, and not Urea ones. I would buy it online but im a lazy piece of **** ahem-- if there's any good source of pure Urea in any North American products, then please let me know.

TheNerdyFarmer - 4-5-2017 at 09:55

If you are in the U.S., "Food Lion" brand cold packs have urea in them. Or you could try to find a urea based fertilizer and extract the urea from it.

JJay - 4-5-2017 at 10:36

I couldn't find it on shelves either and had to buy it online. Funny thing is, I bought 10 pounds of urea a year ago, and I haven't even taken it out of the package yet! I remember having a purpose for it when I bought it....

violet sin - 4-5-2017 at 11:32

I got a 40# bag for under 40$ at the garden store. So far most of it has gone to the lawn n garden, but I set some aside for projects too. Trees LOVE the stuff

unionised - 4-5-2017 at 11:40

Quote: Originally posted by Tetra  
Hey, all.

I'd like to know where I can find Urea.

Are you taking the piss?

Brom - 4-5-2017 at 11:40

I believe diesel exhaust fluid is nothing but a solution of urea.

Corrosive Joeseph - 4-5-2017 at 12:39

If you do find some you might find this interesting............

"Recrystallation of Fertilizer Grade Urea" - http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=63013

/CJ

PirateDocBrown - 4-5-2017 at 21:17

greenwaybiotech.com

Rhodanide - 5-5-2017 at 05:43

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
Hey, all.

I'd like to know where I can find Urea.

Are you taking the piss?

m8, please

Rhodanide - 5-5-2017 at 05:46

Quote: Originally posted by TheNerdyFarmer  
If you are in the U.S., "Food Lion" brand cold packs have urea in them. Or you could try to find a urea based fertilizer and extract the urea from it.

No, the only Food Lion I've ever seen was in N. Carolina.
I'm in ME. We have Hannaford and Shaws food, but not Food Lion.

Geocachmaster - 5-5-2017 at 12:27

One time I got a cold pack with urea from the Walmart in Scarborough. I'm not sure if there still are any, but you could check next time you're in the area. Other than that I'm not sure, it seems the usual stores (Home Depot, lowes, most hardware stores) don't sell strait urea. There's a couple of gardening/hydroponics stores in Portland, I've never been in but maybe you could look for urea fertilizer there?

Online might be the way to go, although I understand wanting to get it locally (I'm lazy too).

Texium - 5-5-2017 at 14:27

Well, if you change your mind and decide to buy it online, here you go: https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=urea

More expensive than fertilizer grade, but also a lot more pure. It's fine to use right out of the package. I've used it for making my own ammonia and phthalimide.

symboom - 5-5-2017 at 14:29

Cheap dollar store ones are urea and the expensive ones are ammonium nitrate from my experience

XeonTheMGPony - 5-5-2017 at 18:08

DEF (Diesel exhaust fluid)

Just urea and distilled water.

Remove water you get Urea as crystal.

Rhodanide - 4-6-2017 at 18:07

Quote: Originally posted by Geocachmaster  
One time I got a cold pack with urea from the Walmart in Scarborough. I'm not sure if there still are any, but you could check next time you're in the area. Other than that I'm not sure, it seems the usual stores (Home Depot, lowes, most hardware stores) don't sell strait urea. There's a couple of gardening/hydroponics stores in Portland, I've never been in but maybe you could look for urea fertilizer there?

Online might be the way to go, although I understand wanting to get it locally (I'm lazy too).

Sweet, thanks for the info. I'm positioned a bit above N. Yarmouth so it shouldn't be a terribly long trip.

TheNerdyFarmer - 4-6-2017 at 18:34

Doesn't driving a good distance kind of defeat the whole purpose of finding it locally:P
At this point I would probably just go with purchasing it online. That way you could probably get it a lot purer and it would only take a couple days to arrive at your door.

Rhodanide - 9-6-2017 at 09:37

Quote: Originally posted by TheNerdyFarmer  
Doesn't driving a good distance kind of defeat the whole purpose of finding it locally:P
At this point I would probably just go with purchasing it online. That way you could probably get it a lot purer and it would only take a couple days to arrive at your door.

I already do to a Shooting range which is within a mile or two of the Wal-Mart that Geo was talking about, so I'll probably stop in next time I go :P

ave369 - 10-6-2017 at 12:59

you can also get urea peroxide, decompose it with MnO2, filter and recrystallize.

UC235 - 10-6-2017 at 20:48

A little late to the party, but over the winter, Morton sells SAFE-T-PET ice melter. It's more or less pure urea with a blue dye added. For crude purposes, it's quite sufficient as pure urea, but if you need it clean and white, the dye is totally intractable. I even tried a slow recrystallization from aqueous alcohol and thorough washing of the crystals with same, which seemed to remove some of the color, but left more than enough to make them blue and was risking costing more than the ice melt did in the first place.

I gave up, ordered 10lbs from Duda Diesel and have been set ever since.

Radium212 - 27-6-2017 at 04:51

Hey, all.

I'd like to know where I can find Urea. The area I'm in only has NH4NO3 cold packs, and not Urea ones. I would buy it online but im a lazy piece of **** ahem-- if there's any good source of pure Urea in any North American products, then please let me know.

Most instant coldpacks.

Aqua-regia - 28-6-2017 at 02:42

Whats a pity your request is not in Europe. Here can you buying it everywhere free for 3EUR /kg in 25 kg bag or 500 kg big bag.

PirateDocBrown - 28-6-2017 at 12:47

Did find some in a Food Lion on a visit to the Deep South. The ones in the Walmart near me are CAN.

Rhodanide - 1-7-2017 at 07:50

Quote: Originally posted by Radium212  
Hey, all.

Most instant coldpacks.

Did you not understand?

Mixe - 19-7-2017 at 12:30

AdBlue fuel additive for diesel engines. Urea and water. Simple as that. If you're in Europe. There's probably something identical under another name in the US.

getting urea

BILLBUILDS - 19-7-2017 at 21:09

i dont know about england but i found a 4kg bag in the hardware store in the gardening section for 11 AUD$

[Edited on 20-7-2017 by BILLBUILDS]