Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Chemglass products - what are the thoughts on the quality of their products?

RogueRose - 6-3-2017 at 07:16

I'm considering making some bids on a lot of chemglass products from a bankrutpcy sale. It seems that about 90% of the company's glassware is of the Chemglass brand and I want to know how this ranks up with top of the line manufacturers like corning, Schott Duran, PYREX, etc.

Lillica - 6-3-2017 at 09:08

I can only speak from personal experience, but all of their products I have owned have always been very high quality with very few issues. I would definitely rank them fairly highly among the various glass brands that I have owned. This is just my personal experience.

Someone who is more involved in the professional chemistry world may be able to offer a different perspective.

Ozone - 6-3-2017 at 09:12

In my experience, Chemglass is very nice stuff. They are also an accommodating company to work with for custom glass.

O3

gdflp - 6-3-2017 at 09:25

I second what everyone else has said. I've got quite a bit of Chemglass stuff in my lab and I have no complaints about it. Nice thick glass, no bubbles, and good quality joints. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their glassware(the MSRP for new glassware is a bit painful for amateurs though since it's an American company).

PirateDocBrown - 6-3-2017 at 10:28

Professional quality stuff. Sure, there's problems with any company, but inside the US, they are in the top tier.

You pay for the quality, though.

Dr.Bob - 6-3-2017 at 13:03

Great stuff, if you can buy it cheap do so. Even if you get too much, you can sell 24/40 stuff on here easily, people are always looking for it. You can see their prices on their website, I would not pay more than 1/3 to 1/2 for used stuff, you may get lucky and find some for as little as 10% of what it is worth.

Fleaker - 6-3-2017 at 13:17

I like Chemglass.

They hook up glassblowers so go through distributor if you can.

RogueRose - 6-3-2017 at 20:02

Ok, well I'm going to be bidding on a number of lots of Chemglass in a day or two. there are probably 50+ auctions with some REALLY nice equipment and the minimum bids seem low. I'm goig to make a list of what is available.

The problem is that some of the auctions are "drawer of laboratory items" and it shows a drawer (48"w x 18"d x 12"h) with maybe 40-100 pieces of glassware with like 4 short path condensors, 8 cold traps, 10 200-300mm vigurex colums, 5-7 10-12" liebig condensors, tons of adapters, 4-5 soxhelt (sp) thingies, vacum manifolds, and probably 30-60 smaller adapter like pieces and also other pieces I've forgotten the names.

The thing is the pics are taken but there is NO description but I called and had them read what was written on the glassware as far as joint size, all are 24/40.

One lot is 3 drawers just like this with no descrition other than "3 drawers lab glass" but just pics

Then these things like 24 NIB 200mm Vigurex colums - one lot

another was about 40 "flasks" which were a huge range of 100ml to 12L 3 neck round bottom flasks (lots of 2,3 5L flasks included). the description is just "chemistry flasks".

All this is being sold out of 4000 lots where 90 % are office supplies (computers, software, printers, janitorial etc). So finding this stuff was really tough b/c searches yielded nothing - had to go through each picture individually.

This auction is why I asked if anyone lived near Boston.

[Edited on 7-3-2017 by RogueRose]

[Edited on 7-3-2017 by RogueRose]

Eyeborg - 6-5-2017 at 09:30

Chemglass definitely produces some of the highest quality glassware. You won't see any complaints about them. However, it is very expensive compared to other brands, and I find them one of the most expensive sources of glassware. If you are willing to pay the price though, you can rest assured that it is a high quality product.

LD5050 - 6-5-2017 at 11:03

I live near boston are you looking for someone to go in with you on the bid? I'm very interested I have heard only good things of chemglass

Texium - 6-5-2017 at 14:38

Unfortunately the auction is long since over. If you look at the post dates you'll see that Eyeborg inexplicably decided to revive a two-month old thread with a comment that didn't add anything particularly useful.