Sciencemadness Discussion Board

A stupid question about PbCl2

MeshPL - 12-5-2016 at 06:01

I've been messing with dissolving lead-tin solder, and have a question: does the NaCl solution redissolve lead? Or is it only NaCl? And will PbCl2 dissolve in ~30% AcOH?

Thanks!

blogfast25 - 12-5-2016 at 06:47

Quote: Originally posted by MeshPL  
I've been messing with dissolving lead-tin solder, and have a question: does the NaCl solution redissolve lead? Or is it only NaCl? And will PbCl2 dissolve in ~30% AcOH?

Thanks!

Your question isn't very clear to me but I can say this. PbCl2 solubility goes up somewhat when there's free chloride in the solution. This is mainly due to the formation of a complex:

PbCl2 + 2 Cl- < === > PbCl42-

I don't believe it will dissolve in 30% HOAc though...

MeshPL - 12-5-2016 at 07:44

Ok, I'll formulate this question more clearly (I must have had a brain eclipse while writing the last post):
Will PbCl2 dissolve well in a concentrated NaCl solution?
Is efficient complexation of PbCl2 possible using only HCl or NaCl will also work?

blogfast25 - 12-5-2016 at 07:51

Quote: Originally posted by MeshPL  
Ok, I'll formulate this question more clearly (I must have had a brain eclipse while writing the last post):
Will PbCl2 dissolve well in a concentrated NaCl solution?
Is efficient complexation of PbCl2 possible using only HCl or NaCl will also work?

Both NaCl and HCl will work but it depends on your definition of 'well'. Solubility will remain fairly low, even at high [Cl-], IIRW.

There are data on the solubility of PbCl2 in chloride bearing solutions: I've seen graphs of solubility v. [Cl-]. I believe there are also data on the complexation constant (Kf) of the mentioned complex. That should even allow to compute a rough estimate of solubility v. [Cl-].

MeshPL - 12-5-2016 at 08:14

Oh yes! There is such a graph on wikipedia! It indeed seems that at high Cl- concentrations Pb 2+ is somewhat soluble, but not too much. Thanks!