Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Recent Actual Physical SM Chemistry

aga - 30-3-2016 at 14:44

Thread devoted to listing of recent and actual physical chemistry done by a member, so we can skip all the crap and read about Chemistry and how it's done by a fellow Amateur Chemist.

Simply an Announcement Board for the latest actual chemistry experiment you did, as in Actually did, hopefully with photos (although not mandatory).

Rules:-

1. Posts may only contain a link to to an actual SM thread where a member is demonstrating chemistry they themselves have recently physically performed (no theories), plus a very brief description.

2. No external links to other sites, at all.

3. No discussion. None At All. That can be done in the thread linked to.

Violation of these Very Simple rules will result in immediate erasure of the post, possibly the poster.

Texium - 30-3-2016 at 14:48

This seems absolutely, utterly useless.

Texium - 31-3-2016 at 05:38

Alright, I admit it was rather premature to detritus this thread. It's back, and if it works it'll stay afloat, if not it will be buried. I still don't really see the point of it, but there certainly wasn't any point in killing it immediately.

aga - 31-3-2016 at 08:13

Thank you for reconsidering - if it's of no value, it will fade away on it's own.

The idea is simply an index of threads containing actual experiments that others can do.

karlos³ - 1-4-2016 at 12:33

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
an index of threads containing actual experiments

I think this description could be applied to the prepublications as well.
Maybe it would be better to encourage members to post something they´ve done in a quality that fits in there, even if it is a trivial synthesis?

aga - 1-4-2016 at 12:45

This thread is Fubar'd anyways, so what the hell.

It would be nice to :-

a) See any actual chemistry, as in reactions people have actually done (prefferably with pictures).

b) Be able to Find them,so they can be repeated/checked/done just for the fun of it.

As it is, finding a random Actual bit of physicalChemistry on SM is like wading through treacle, despite Google's amazing indexing kung-Fu.

arkoma - 1-4-2016 at 12:57

it'd be nice if you did something BESIDES complain about ScienceMadness

crystal grower - 1-4-2016 at 12:59

Maybe you should accept external links, as many of us have described our synthesis on our websites.

aga - 1-4-2016 at 13:12

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

Great call Arkoma.

So our next posts will be Actual Chemistry right ?

The Drought has gone on for ages, so i guess even really simple stuff will be good enough.

arkoma - 1-4-2016 at 18:42

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  

Great call Arkoma.

So our next posts will be Actual Chemistry right ?

The Drought has gone on for ages, so i guess even really simple stuff will be good enough.

I performed a Maillard reaction this morning when I made biscuits. Quit being such a troll, it doesn't become someone of your intellect.

j_sum1 - 1-4-2016 at 19:16

Great stuff arkoma. I just performed a crude caffeine extraction. Maybe we should get together for some qualitative analysis.

aga, if it's an index you are after then why not build one that covers past experiments not just ones that are performed from this point forward. That will also assist with increasing the profile of "actual chemistry". But actually, I am with zts here. I see little point. I do have prepchem and other similar sites to look up synths. This is the place where I get to read, learn and understand from other chemists. The dialogue and occasional off-topic stuff is part of it. As also are the thread spin-offs and excursions into tangential areas. If I am after something specific then a search usually suffices. If I don't find it, I ask a question. (The short questions thread is one of the most important places here IMO.) If I am launching out into a procedure that is completely new to me then I expect to have to do some research or have a few failed experiments.

Prepublication is underused. I like it that a high standard is expected of posts there. I will consider it something of a personal triumph when I get to post a new thread there myself. If someone was to prepare an index to that whole forum that would be a real asset.

aga - 1-4-2016 at 21:49

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
... if it's an index you are after then why not build one that covers past experiments not just ones that are performed from this point forward ...

Brilliant suggestion jsum_1 - this thread was worth it just for that.

Much better to have a searchable index of practical experiments.

One thing i've wished for since starting in chemistry is an easy way to find experiments that can be performed with the reagents that i actually have at the time.

I'll get started.

j_sum1 - 1-4-2016 at 22:03

Do you have the skills to create a bot to search prepub?
I suspect it will be a big job manually. But if you do manage it, it will be worth a sticky and something to really set prepub apart. I know I would use it more if there was a sticky index at the top. Alternatively the index could be put in the wiki.

Like I said, I believe prepublication is under-used and that includes me. Many hours of browsing await.

Eddygp - 2-4-2016 at 03:09

Do threads like this qualify?
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=64337

aga - 2-4-2016 at 11:21

This thread basically died after post #2.

What i'm in the process of doing is building a searchable index of syntheses, as per j_sum1's suggestion.

Interesting as crystal formations are, it's not actually converting reagents a and b into new substance c (ok, that's arguable).

I guess it should be indexed, however i'm not sure what search terms i'd use to find it.