Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Isoprpyl alcohol (propan 2 ol) from propene??

bluamine - 29-3-2016 at 11:49

Hi everyone!!
How can i make isoprpyl alcohol (propan 2 ol) from propene?

[Edited on 29-3-2016 by bluamine]

[Edited on 29-3-2016 by bluamine]

Cou - 29-3-2016 at 11:54

You can't.

bluamine - 29-3-2016 at 13:27

Sorry i made a mistake i was talking about indirect hydartion of propene

Texium - 29-3-2016 at 14:45

Where the heck do you live where you can't buy isopropanol, yet have a supply of propene? (or is this just meant to be theoretical?)

bluamine - 29-3-2016 at 16:20

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Where the heck do you live where you can't buy isopropanol, yet have a supply of propene? (or is this just meant to be theoretical?)

Well if i could buy it i simplly wouldn't write this post. I don't have yet some propene.
I just asked because it's the only process i found on the web. I would like to know about simpler & easier processes though. If that was the the easiest one, in which conditions should it be done? does it need a catalyst (like mercury in methane hydration) & finally i need some équations (i am comfused because according to propanol 2 formula, it would be prepared from propane instead!!)

CharlieA - 29-3-2016 at 17:16

I think the acid-catalyzed addition of water would yield isopropanol. The electrophilic addition would follow Markovnikov's (sp?) rule to give the secondary carbocation, followed by nucleophilic addition of water to the carbocation and loss of a proton to give isopropyl alcohol.

bluamine - 30-3-2016 at 19:30

I know we should use sulfuric acid but i would like to know more