Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Through the looking glass.

M0rphivm - 23-3-2016 at 14:13

Hello folks, I am an honest man and I'd like to ask what is the deal with Borosilicate glass? There are simply so many manufactures! BOMEX, KIMAX, Kimble Cole and not to mention the denumerable number of local blowers that I have managed to find.

I know quite a bit about chemistry, but until now the pursuit has been entirely theoretical, books smarts and a lot of studying mathematics with some dabbling. I want to know know what makes our modern world tick, but I am really lost as to where to get any boro from. I've had some bad experiences... and I am not an imbecile.

I know enough about chemistry to know that I really want nothing but glassware; I simply do not trust plastic for anything terribly serious and wish to employ it as infrequently as possible.

Any biases or suggestions? I am personally done with anything that comes from China. No offense to those that are Chinese... it's why I have come here.

:(

aga - 23-3-2016 at 14:51

Quote: Originally posted by M0rphivm  
I know quite a bit about chemistry

Yes, you do.

Not so much about Acting though.

Same character, again.
Same M.O.
Same shit we've had here for years.

If you were Koji, at least your spores (that infect this forum) would be Useful, in that we could rub damp rice on you and make Saki (rice wine).

Of much more interest (to me at least) Saki is one of the very few parallel fermentation processes known.

The 'koji' fungus converts the rice starch to simpler sugars, then the yeast converts those to ethanol.

Got a pack of some white stuff with chinese markings off ebay : Hopefully it's Koji.

M0rphivm - 23-3-2016 at 17:49

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Quote: Originally posted by M0rphivm  
I know quite a bit about chemistry

Yes, you do.

Not so much about Acting though.

Same character, again.
Same M.O.
Same shit we've had here for years.

If you were Koji, at least your spores (that infect this forum) would be Useful, in that we could rub damp rice on you and make Saki (rice wine).

Of much more interest (to me at least) Saki is one of the very few parallel fermentation processes known.

The 'koji' fungus converts the rice starch to simpler sugars, then the yeast converts those to ethanol.

Got a pack of some white stuff with chinese markings off ebay : Hopefully it's Koji.

So helpful!. I get it you see a brand new user and think you know everything about them, how original. If this is the modus operandi here, I am not even going to waste my time. Get half your fucking hand melted off in an accident involving fraudulent equipment and perhaps you will change your tune... petulant jackass. I run over ego's like yours all the time, they aren't helpful, I just move past them.

So, anybody else actually interested in conversation on the matter, or all you all just here to shit on the "new" (LOL) guy?

Let me be clear, this is a discussion regarding the composition of glassware, not suppliers per se.

[Edited on 24-3-2016 by M0rphivm]

chemrox - 23-3-2016 at 19:07

Oh my! I dislike hostile communication on the forum or anywhere else unless it's Trump bashing. If you don't know what borosillicate glass is you should focus on chemistry rather than apparatus. Borosillicate is the standard glass. The other kind is "soft glass" which doesn't tolerate sudden temperature changes. sudden temperature changes are routine in chemistry. Also you can't bend and manipulate soft glass as easily. You evidently know enough to wonder who makes decent glass. Ask around as you did but keep the questions simple. Is "bomo" a decent manufacturer for example. Are they consistent? I bought a box of beakers. The 100 ml ones were fine but the 1000 ml beakers broke with the slightest bump. Buy used glass when you cn get a decent price. I have a bunch of glassware that are high quality but have been etched by fungus (I need more information about this). These would sell cheaply but are very serviceable. Look for deals on ebay and avoid Asian made glass. Chemglass is Asian made but generally very good. Ace and Kontes are re-packaged high quality glass products. Read up on cleaning techniques and don't be worried about perfect cleaning. What I mean is if you're mixing rocket fuel cleaning to 4 9's might not be necessary if the next experiment is with the same or similar reagents. (this is heresy to some). Be well and good luck! Please don't attack (back) the assholes here. They are hopelessly narcissistic.

M0rphivm - 24-3-2016 at 04:19

Thank you chemrox! And apologies for the late edit, life happened.

I do understand precisely what boro is... it's just that I have had some instances where it's not what the seller has given me. Throwing a brand new 3-neck on a heating mantle just to have the damn thing shatter when it's filled with solvent is... absolutely terrifying. Thank you very much for your reply.

I am a reasonable person and when I am met with unwarranted hostility from a stranger I have no problem calling them out on their rude behavior, especially when I am just asking for some opinions. Good stories, Horror stories. I personally am lucky to have a functioning dominant hand; this is unrelated to the 3-neck incident. That incident has completely turned me off of Asian and particularly Chinese manufactures.

I thought I was quite careful with my phrasing, but I guess not. I shall be much more mindful in the future. Apologies!

...and for the record, I fear the coming of God Emperor Trump. :o

Dr.Bob - 24-3-2016 at 05:22

If you want useful answers on where to get good glassware, you need to say where you are, the answers are different in each country. If in the US, there are several good vendors, Chemglass, Ace, Kontes (owned by Kimble), and a few smaller ones. Bomex is a chinese version of Pyrex. Even Pyrex makes it's glass in Europe now, due to US regs, but it is still well made.

And what you want matters also, for some items, like beakers and erlenmeyers, they are so cheap, even from Pyrex, that it is easy to find them at a good price, new or used, you can look through this section of the forum for several links to companies and people selling them for good prices. For jointed organic and distillation glassware, you can find cheap, new Chinese, or used US made stuff for reasonable prices. The brand does not matter much for US made items, I have rarely seen a poorly made older item from a good vendor, like Ace, Chemglass, Kimble, Kontes, Pyrex, Labglass, and several old NJ companies.

The more specific you are on what you are looking for, the more help people can give you, if you just say vague things, people cannot help you much. So what type of chemistry are you doing (inorganic, organic, pyro, analytical, biochem, etc) and what type of glassware do you want? Otherwise it is like going on a car forum and saying "what is the best car to buy?", which will provide no useful answers.

hissingnoise - 24-3-2016 at 05:59

Glassware for 'mad science' ─ Wilmad, an old NJ company?

Dr.Bob - 24-3-2016 at 07:01

Wilmad is now merged with Labglass, who is now owned by Scientific Products... There are only about 10 big conglomerates left now, and they are quickly buying each other. Same for chemical companies, only a handful of large ones left, and a few very small ones.

M0rphivm - 24-3-2016 at 07:32

Quote: Originally posted by Dr.Bob  
If you want useful answers on where to get good glassware, you need to say where you are, the answers are different in each country. If in the US, there are several good vendors, Chemglass, Ace, Kontes (owned by Kimble), and a few smaller ones. Bomex is a chinese version of Pyrex. Even Pyrex makes it's glass in Europe now, due to US REGS but it is still well made.

And what you want matters also, for some items, like beakers and erlenmeyers, they are so cheap, even from Pyrex, that it is easy to find them at a good price, new or used, you can look through this section of the forum for several links to companies and people selling them for good prices. For jointed organic and distillation glassware, you can find cheap, new Chinese, or used US made stuff for reasonable prices. The brand does not matter much for US made items, I have rarely seen a poorly made older item from a good vendor, like Ace, Chemglass, Kimble, Kontes, Pyrex, Labglass, and several old NJ companies.

The more specific you are on what you are looking for, the more help people can give you, if you just say vague things, people cannot help you much. So what type of chemistry are you doing (inorganic, organic, pyro, analytical, biochem, etc) and what type of glassware do you want? Otherwise it is like going on a car forum and saying "what is the best car to buy?", which will provide no useful answers.

I understand, and I apologies again for my being vague. My interest in chemistry is quite vast, but I am quite fascinated by O-Chem. As a young man I was quite interested in energetic materials but that is frowned upon this day and age and I certainly don't wish to scare anybody. The Good ol' USA really seems to get irritated with amateur pyrotechnics.

I have a some older books on chemistry with experiments I would like to complete. I also have a copy of Clayden's. I find the entire subject to be immensely poetic. Perhaps even rivaling mathematics (HERESY).

I got interested in the subject after I read through General Chemistry by Pauling, awesome book.

I'd like to get into flavors and scents, but I could easily see myself getting into radiochemistry eventually... oh how my mind wanders. This stuff is awesome.

I am sorely tempted to try and make the heinous sulfur bearing compound mentioned very early in claydens, 4-sulfanylpentan-2-one... simply to test the voracity of it's stench. XD

Regarding my highlight, I have done some research and I have not found any indication as to say that there's some regulation in the US regarding simple BSG? Am I wrong? Is my google-fu weak?

chemrox - 24-3-2016 at 12:33

While you're thinking about buying glass..check with Dr. Bob. He's a good guy and will cut you a good deal if he has what you want. @Dr. Bob: what about those little shops in Vineland? Aren't those guys still around?