Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Bubbles in boiling water?

Tr7733 - 7-3-2016 at 00:13

Hi everyone,
I don't study chemical science, however in my primary teaching degree that i am currently completing, i need to take science units. As part of one assignment i need to answer four science questions related to biological science, chemical science, earth and space science and physical science. The only problem is the science questions are incorrect and i need to explain what is incorrect about the science question by describing the acceptable science understanding...if that makes sense? I have managed to complete majority of the science questions except for the chemical science question. I cannot wrap my head around it nor find the correct information on it. Its hard to research information when i don't exactly know what is wrong with the question.I will post the question bellow. If any one is able to help me out and link me to any great written work, explain it to me on here or even suggest a great video you know of. I would be for ever great full as i feel like i am slowly going insane from research that is leading no where.
Chemical science question/incorrect statement : "Bubbles in boiling water are made up of heat and air"

ave369 - 7-3-2016 at 03:38

1. Bubbles cannot be made of heat, because heat is not a material or substance.
2. Bubbles do not consist of air. They consist of steam, or water vapor.

Sulaiman - 7-3-2016 at 03:43

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-solubility-water-d_639...

Initially atmospheric oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide gasses will be dissolved in the water, which when heated will release the dissolved gasses,
Hot atmospheric gasses.

At 100C 1 ATM. Water boils, bubbles of water vapour form and escape as steam.

ave369 - 7-3-2016 at 04:08

The OP said about boiling water, not merely hot. Dissolved air escapes from hot water before it boils. When it boils, steam escapes only.