Sciencemadness Discussion Board

PETE Bottle Chemical Resistance Chart

ScopeGuy2 - 2-1-2016 at 00:54

I am looking for a good PETE Bottle Chemical Resistance Chart.

I was reading some older posts here and read one about Ammonia being shipped in a PETE bottle and the bad results when the bottle failed. It would be nice to have a good chart to reference online somewhere. I was given 30 small PETE bottles that I would like to use for something safe. I thought Ferrous sulfate solution may be one thing that would be safe in it but could not find a chart listing it. I would be nice to know which things can and cant be safely put in them.

byko3y - 2-1-2016 at 01:14

You can actually google it General Chemical Resistance of PET - Products
Ammonia, being a small molecule, easily goes into PET and performs a usual amidation of esters, leading to some kinds of terephthlamide. However, stuff like dillute H2SO4 does not hydrolyse the PET at room temperature, because it can't easily peneterate it.

Deathunter88 - 2-1-2016 at 09:34

Here is a more general guide to plastic chemical resistance:

Chemical_Reference_Summary-small.gif - 73kBScreen Shot 2015-01-31 at 6.50.18 PM.png - 74kB

PETE chemical resistance

CharlieA - 2-1-2016 at 18:39

Quote: Originally posted by byko3y  
You can actually google it General Chemical Resistance of PET - Products

Thank you very much for this link. I wanted to do this myself but just haven't gotten around to it. My wife drinks Diet Mountain Dew in 12 oz. PETE bottles, and I can have all that I want. Mainly my interest is using them for ca. 1M aqueous solutions of various inorganic salts.

Edit: Fixed quote formatting

[Edited on 1-3-2016 by zts16]

CharlieA - 2-1-2016 at 18:41

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  

Thanks for this great chart. Do you have a reference for the source of it? (Happy New Year)-Charlie

ScopeGuy2 - 2-1-2016 at 23:34

The thanks for the chart. I am thinking that Ferrous sulfate is a week acid so it should not be put into PET bottles. My wife gave me a few HDPE bottles that should work fine

solo - 2-1-2016 at 23:52

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  

Thanks for this great chart. Do you have a reference for the source of it? (Happy New Year)-Charlie

,,,,,,see this,

http://www.calpaclab.com/chemical-compatibility-charts/

CharlieA - 3-1-2016 at 14:33

solo: Thanks for the link. That is a great site!-Charlie