Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Ethyl Acetate + K/NaOH - will either work

RogueRose - 14-11-2015 at 12:06

I am wondering if KOH will work the same as NaOH when mixing with ethyl acetate. I have a use for potassium acetate but not so much sodium acetate, currently.

I was looking through some google searches and found a lot references to NaOh working with EthAct but little about KOH.

gdflp - 14-11-2015 at 12:07

Do you mean a base hydrolysis of ethyl acetate? If so, then yes both sodium and potassium hydroxide will work just fine. Just make sure to adjust the masses accordingly.

aga - 14-11-2015 at 15:41

On behalf of RogueRose : Thanks very much gdflp.

If RogueRose does not know how to calculate the difference in the stoichimetry, i expect we'd all chip and help, if such a question were asked.

[Edited on 14-11-2015 by aga]

RogueRose - 14-11-2015 at 16:51

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
Do you mean a base hydrolysis of ethyl acetate? If so, then yes both sodium and potassium hydroxide will work just fine. Just make sure to adjust the masses accordingly.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I figured that it would work but found it odd how few search results were yeilded when specifically searching for KOH and most referenced pharmaceutical briefs, many of which were only abstracts (had to purchase entire paper...). My thanks again.