Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Buying glassware in England

Flip Flop - 9-11-2015 at 11:22

I broke the post argghh.... basically I asked if anyone knows where I can buy high quality glassware in the UK? Does anyone sell Pyrex/Quickfit to private individuals? Sick of waiting ages for shoddy stuff coming from china!.

Hope someone can help!

[Edited on 10-11-2015 by Flip Flop]

hissingnoise - 9-11-2015 at 13:51

Timstar mainly supplies schools and they're not cheap but I've gotten several pieces there using my "arty" cover story!

aga - 9-11-2015 at 14:08

Stuff from China is not All shoddy.

Stuff from UK sellers (made in China) is not all Perfect.

Get real.

Edit:

The vast pile of glass i got from ben015 on Ebay is all good, apart from this bits i smashed being stupid/careless.

The few bits i got from CarterScientific (US) were unuseable, and the seller was rather unhelpful, saying "we sell second rate stuff cheap. what did you expect ?" (or words to that effect)

[Edited on 9-11-2015 by aga]

Flip Flop - 9-11-2015 at 14:49

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Stuff from China is not All shoddy.

Stuff from UK sellers (made in China) is not all Perfect.

Get real.

Edit:

The vast pile of glass i got from ben015 on Ebay is all good, apart from this bits i smashed being stupid/careless.

The few bits i got from CarterScientific (US) were unuseable, and the seller was rather unhelpful, saying "we sell second rate stuff cheap. what did you expect ?" (or words to that effect)

[Edited on 9-11-2015 by aga]

There just seems to be quality control issues in my experience. I've waited a month for a separatory funnel only for it to be defective when it arrived. Other pieces have been uneven and not straight - stuff that would be tossed in the bin in a decent factory. That was all from eBay though, I haven't ordered from Ben015.

Maybe I have just been unlucky though as other people seem happy enough. All of the Quickfit stuff I've got is perfect, and even when you do drop it, it doesnt break, and I just feel safer using it. Not waiting weeks for stuff when I could get it next day is worth the extra money for me anyway :D

Thanks

gdflp - 9-11-2015 at 14:53

Quote: Originally posted by Flip Flop  

Other pieces have been uneven and not straight.

I've had this happen with glassware from China on eBay as well. I had a bent vacuum adapter that was supposed to be the standard 105°, but was off by about 15°. Thus, I only buy name brand glassware or glassware from Chinese sellers whom I trust.

One of which is Laboy Glass, I've found them to ship reasonably quickly, have good prices, and I've never had any issue with bubbles in the glassware or glassware not being straight. They ship to the UK as well.

Flip Flop - 9-11-2015 at 15:03

I don't really need huge amounts, or very large equipment, so cost isn't really a problem, although 100 quid for a quickfit condenser is taking the piss a bit!

I need a new sep. funnel, so will order one from Ben015 first to see what the quality is like, his prices seem good if the stuff is good quality.

hissingnoise - 10-11-2015 at 06:35

Timstar:

Quickfit liebig condenser

14/23 14/23 160 mm ------- £28.83

24/29 24/29 400 mm ------- £34.62