Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Boron Anyone?

careysub - 22-10-2015 at 09:57

Shopping aorund for some amorphous boron, for an element collection, and for some exotic thermite and intermetallic reactions I found the following sources:

SkyLighter 1 oz $47.50 ($1.67/g)
eBay vendors:
50 g $38.20 ($0.76/g)
85.5 g $59.44 ($0.70/g)
and stuff at sky high prices.

I was considering shelling out the $60 for the 3 oz on eBay when I found this:
Firefox-FX 1 lb $109 ($0.24/g)
five times as much at somewhat less than twice the cost (in addition the site says "while it lasts", suggesting a limited supply at this price). Firefox-FX, btw, has very reasonable shipping charges.

But cheap as that is, comparatively, 16 oz of boron is a lot of boron, and I don't really want to sink that much into a boron supply, far more than I expect to ever use.

So: I am sounding people out here to see if I can defray the cost of acquiring a pound of Firefox-FX boron.

I have three suggested pricing models:
a) If someone wants 8 oz of boron, I will split all costs for buying, tax, shipping and reshipping in half and provide them with half the boron (thus cutting my cost back to what I was considering);
2) Element collectors special: $10 for 10 g in a plastic vial, shipping included (this is still cheaper than the Skylighter cost per gram);
3) $5 shipping fee, plus $0.50/g, 30 gram minimum. Thus 30 g is $20 ($0.67/g, better than the eBay prices) and any additional grams are $0.50 each (I will weigh out any arbitrary amount).

If I get enough interest I will make the purchase. Please respond U2U with the subject line "Boron" indicating your preference. I will post a follow-up based on responses received.

[Edited on 22-10-2015 by careysub]

Bert - 22-10-2015 at 11:18

I have been amazed at the spread as well- We use it in hot igniters with Potassium nitrate, rather than the good old fashioned (heavy metal, shock sensitive) Lead tetroxide/Silicon.

Got all we need for now, but that's a good price.

careysub - 28-10-2015 at 14:58

So far I have had only one person express interest (at the $20 level), but to make this work I need to get another $40 or so into the game.

So I have a new proposal: split it at cost any number of ways. That is - the boron is the same price I paid per gram plus actual shipping charges only.

So $10 would get you something like 30 grams, $20 would get ~70 grams (I assume same shipping as 30 grams), and so on. I would ship as cheaply as possible.

Things to do with boron: element display, extremely high temperature solid phase reaction with titanium (and other intermetallic reactions), exotic boron thermites, making boron tribromide:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k347939/f88.image
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron_tribromide

Bert - 29-10-2015 at 03:55

This link:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/m/ark:/12148/bpt6k347939/f88.image

Is not working for me? If it's an image, perhaps upload it...

careysub - 29-10-2015 at 04:56

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
This link:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/m/ark:/12148/bpt6k347939/f88.image

Is not working for me? If it's an image, perhaps upload it...

I can open it on Linux and OS X with Firefox and Chrome.

No, it cannot be uploaded - it is not a file. It is a view provided by an online app of Annales de chimie et de physique, V. 52, 1858, p. 89. It is provided by Gallica, the Bibliothèque nationale de France on-line digital collection.

Try this:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k347939/f62.table
and page to p. 89 with the navigation keys.

careysub - 31-10-2015 at 08:55

Consulting Fieser's 12 volumes, it appears that boron tribromide is an effective reagent for ether cleavage.

careysub - 31-10-2015 at 15:28

I now have four participants at the $20 level, so the deal is going forward. I estimate the total cost, when all shipping is done, each participant gets 65 g.

I can still take a couple of element collectors ($10), which would be for 26 g (since shipping is a higher proportion of the amount).

I have placed the order, and so should be able to ship out after Nov. 8.

aga - 31-10-2015 at 15:31

Careful careysub !

That sounds a bit like "Order Now for delivery before Christmas !"

Who would even want Boron for Christmas ?

violet sin - 31-10-2015 at 18:14

I would, and WILL :)

j_sum1 - 31-10-2015 at 19:14

I have boron, isolated for an element collection. I intend to do some more: I want a better-looking sample and I wouldn't mind crystallising it too. Which means that I have a little surplus at the moment. I might try out some of those exotic thermites or reactions with Ti. Or, if any aussies want a 10g sample in an ampoule for their element collection, send me a U2U.

Bert - 31-10-2015 at 19:48

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Careful careysub !

That sounds a bit like "Order Now for delivery before Christmas !"

Who would even want Boron for Christmas ?

It's got a lovely green flame, very Christmas-ey!

careysub - 14-11-2015 at 07:14

The boron has arrived, and I am packing and shipping this weekend (if you have paid, or once payment is received). I will be U2U-ing as needed.

violet sin - 14-11-2015 at 09:51

20$ sent by paypal :)

violet sin - 3-12-2015 at 16:00

the boron arrived the other day. looks great thank you. super easy transaction and the package was very well secured. yet another great transaction here on SM

careysub - 3-12-2015 at 18:00

I have seen it noted on amateur astronomy forums where astro goods are sold/traded that invariably people are extraordinarily careful to describe every little defect in the stuff they are offering, and that rip-offs are unknown (though there are some commercial vendors that have proven iffy).

I think the same thing operates here - anyone who as any significant longevity on this site values their hobby, and their credibility in the (very small) community highly, and are quite reliable on following through on their commitments when making a trade of any kind.