Sciencemadness Discussion Board

What is reaction between Ammonium Bifluoride with water (PLEASE HELP ME)

rizaltracon - 11-10-2015 at 20:00

Dear All,
Please Help me.

do you know what is reaction between ammonium Bifluoride (NH4HF2) with water? is there any forming of Hydrogen fluoride ? let me know wthat is the complete reaction ? is there any hydrolisis occur ?
if any, please somebody tell me about the conversion percentage or yield for producing HF from ammonium bifluoride reaction with water. what is the maximum conversion or yield possibly occur? I am very happy if can get some journal. Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Rizal

Praxichys - 12-10-2015 at 04:24

Ammonium bifluoride acts like a 1:1 mixture of NH4F and HF in solution.

You can make more HF if you add an acid:

NH4F·HF + HCl -> NH4Cl + 2HF

Since HF is the weaker acid, the equilibrium strongly favors the right. For maximum yield it would ideally be distilled from that solution. However, HF attacks glass, so special stills made of exotic alloys are used for this.

Be careful. HF is a deadly poison. It forms invisible skin burns that don't hurt until much later, when it's too late. Google "HF Burn."

Upsilon - 12-10-2015 at 05:10

Hasn't been mentioned yet and I hope that it doesn't need to be, but these substances can and will dissolve glassware. Your apparatus must be made of a plastic like HDPE or PTFE if you plan on doing this for real.