Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Has anyone tried making money by auctioning chemicals on ebay?

Cou - 12-9-2015 at 14:08

Can't get a living income on it, but I believe it's a way to get some extra cash to make up for the cost of this hobby. I've seen people auctioning elements on ebay to be picked up in person or delivered personally, such as bromine.

Anyone tried doing this? The best way would be to sell stuff that can be made from OTC ingredients. Also I think ebay might have gotten stricter about their policy on hazardous chemicals.

[Edited on 12-9-2015 by Cou]

aga - 12-9-2015 at 14:17

I would reference my most recent post about Making Money yet somehow fail to summon the energy to do so.

Battling the Lizard Alien has left me drunk and somehwhat depleted.

Little_Ghost_again - 12-9-2015 at 14:30

Ebay Uk has changed policy for sure, conc nitric acid used to be listed but you had to sign a form etc and fax it off. Now the company that sells it dosnt even list on ebay but are still active with lesser chemicals, I am pretty sure they do sell it on Amazon though which seems a bit odd

j_sum1 - 12-9-2015 at 15:26

Cou. You're back again. :)
I suspect the answer to your question is that no one makes very much money on ebay unless they put in a significant amount of time, effort, marketing nous and a bit of money. In which case you are talking a proper business.

As for raising a bit of spare change... only one way to find out.

The Volatile Chemist - 13-9-2015 at 16:22

It is interesting. There's a difference between auctioning and selling. If there's enough people interested in a certain compound, you could put its minimum at the even amount, then profit from the bartering that occurs.