Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Perchlorate compositions

Pages:  1  

Marsh - 28-7-2006 at 18:00

Greetings everyone...

I would like to discuss perchlorate mixtures with those who have experimented with them.

I recently tried detonating two perchlorate mixtures...both turned out to be failures using about 1.2g PETN. I believe I may have obtained partial detonation with one cheddite.

The goal I am after, is mainly an ammonium, or possibly potassium perchlorate mixture with a high (>5000m/s) Vod whilst having a decent sensitivity to smaller det charges - if this is obtainable, not a must. I have heard it discussed that there are very powerful (>6000m/s Vod) NHCLO4 mixtures which exist but I cannot find specifics on some of these as to the various formulas brisance. Thus I haven't really settled on one to experiment with due to lack of knowledge about sensitivity, vod's, etc.

A gel/slightly aqueaus solution is ok in this scenario as well.

I first tried a variation of the good old KCLO3 + petrolium jelly mixture with perchlorate instead. I used KCLO4 at a ratio of 90/10 with the petrolium jelly. This is where I believe I may have achieved partial detonation. I still am unsure truthfully though.

I know the more sensitive and common KCLO3 mixtures only used about 5-8% petrolium for fuel, and more than that would substantially lower sensitivity.

Being that the perchlorate contributes more oxygen, and being that the comp it is already oxygen rich, I increased petrolium to the 10% in hopes this would satisfy for fuel. It may have decreased sensitivity too much for detonation.

Has anyone experimented with a KCLO4 mixture instead or the more common chlorate mixtures with petrolium fuel? What about NHCLO4/petrolium jelly? Is there disadvantages to the perchlorates in the reaction? I assumed Vod may be higher in the perchlorate reaction, but sensitivity may be the bigger factor which is reduced.

The second mix I tried was ammonium perchlorate with about 5% vaseline binder, and 10% Al powder added. I assumed the fuel/oxidizer in this reaction would be much more favored under conditions (also being more dense), but I did not achieve detonation. Does this sound like a detonatable comp if possibly used with more PETN, or did I miss by a longshot?

I have also heard about NHCLO4 with hexamine mixed dry as a powerful composition. Could this be improved by a ethyl glycol solution into which the ammonium perchlorate/hexamine is desolved and bound with guar gum to form a gel HE? Or would it make more sense to leave the hexamine out of this reaction?

Another thing I would like to mention, I realize that nitromethane would appear to be a good fuel for an APNM mixture, but I have heard rumors of very low sensitivity in this mix, due to the NHCLO4 being less hygroscopic, and thus less fuel is absorbed by it. So I am avoiding NM in this instance.

Any info on these perchlorate compositions as well as other possible high Vod formula would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

DeAdFX - 28-7-2006 at 18:16

Quote:
Originally posted by Marsh
Greetings everyone...
Another thing I would like to mention, I realize that nitromethane would appear to be a good fuel for an APNM mixture, but I have heard rumors of very low sensitivity in this mix, due to the NHCLO4 being less hygroscopic, and thus less fuel is absorbed by it. So I am avoiding NM in this instance.

Hygroscopicness has to do with a compound sucking up water from its surroundings... I don't believe hygroscopicness would have anything to do with AP asorbing nitromethane.

Marsh - 28-7-2006 at 18:32

True, I'm sorry...

But, I do believe the NM mixtures which have been experiemented with take very large booster charges to achieve complete detonation, due to the non-complete incorporation of the fuel into the binder (I compaired this to being non-hygroscopic).

I believe the APNM mixtures have lower Vod's as well.

[Edited on 29-7-2006 by Marsh]

DeAdFX - 28-7-2006 at 18:34

Quote:
True, I'm sorry...

But, I do believe the NM mixtures which have been experiemented with take very large booster charges to achieve complete detonation, due to the non-complete incorporation of the fuel into the binder (I compaired this to being hygroscopic).

How long did you let the Nitromethane soak into the Ammonium Perchlorate? Prehaps you need to let the fuel soak in for longer.

Marsh - 28-7-2006 at 18:57

Quote:
Originally posted by DeAdFX
Quote:
True, I'm sorry...

But, I do believe the NM mixtures which have been experiemented with take very large booster charges to achieve complete detonation, due to the non-complete incorporation of the fuel into the binder (I compaired this to being hygroscopic).

How long did you let the Nitromethane soak into the Ammonium Perchlorate? Prehaps you need to let the fuel soak in for longer.

I have not tried the NM mixture myself. I have followed a few on their experiments and it seemed to be a less desireable mixture from what it appeared, as I said with incomplete detonations. I know a smaller amount (1/2kilo) was detonated with over 20g RDX.

Are there any predicted Vod's on APNM?

Do you have any comments on the formulas which I tried specifically which failed?

I'm mainly discussing KCLO4 and NHCLO4 because I have them both in hand and would like to see what I can come up with from them.

Edit: I have found available NM (I originally thought it was very expensive; but still moderately)...

What about AP/NM/AL 50/25/25? This seems like a more sensitive mixture but again I do not know if Vod's would be favorable against other compositions.

Would there be another method to sensitize this formula a bit more?

It seems that something which dissolves the AP would produce the favorable high-Vod's. Again, like diethylene glycol/AP with possibly some Al added.

[Edited on 29-7-2006 by Marsh]

Rosco Bodine - 28-7-2006 at 20:14

What should be worth experimentation is the matter of whether and ammonium perchlorate reaction with
formaldehyde and urea would occur similarly as the
reaction of ammonium nitrate in this regard , the product being principally the methylamine salt , along with lesser amounts of the di and tri methylamine salts as minor further reaction products . If the parallel reaction occurs
as I suspect it does , for the formation of methylamine
perchlorate , then a powerful mixture would be the result , having a power and velocity as good as TNT or better , and higher sensitivity to detonation .

There are patents for the Ammonium nitrate reaction with formaldehyde , and the molar equivalent of ammonium perchlorate could simply be substituted as a starting point
for experimenting .

The two " formite " ( formaldehyde / AN reaction mixture ) patents that I know about are

EP0037862

GB1548827

Patent related to such mixtures value in cast melts

US1968158

[Edited on 29-7-2006 by Rosco Bodine]

Marsh - 28-7-2006 at 20:30

Rosco, this is quite interesting...

I believe an experiment may be in store.

I'm going to see what I can come up with and I will reply back.

Thanks.

Rosco Bodine - 28-7-2006 at 21:02

Glycine perchlorate is another possibility that has occured to me . Depending on the solubility , and I suspect this would work ....you could make a strong solution of glycine nitrate which is highly soluble and mix this with a saturated hot solution of ammonium perchlorate , and
hopefully:D ( possibly ) a precipitate of glycine perchlorate would result by double decomposition .
Of course if the glycine perchlorate is like urea perchlorate
which is extremely soluble this may not happen .

An alternate approach which may be better is to make a paste of glycine with a little water , add with stirring sufficient d1.4 nitric acid to neutralize the slurry and while still hot add solid ammonium perchlorate to the still hot paste , keeping it hot if necessary while continuing to stir the mixture until reaction is complete . This should force the reaction if the solubility of the glycine perchlorate is
high enough to cause problems with the first method .

The reaction should hopefully proceed by one of these methods , and the glycine perchlorate should be a
powerful explosive somewhere between picric acid and tetryl , probably more sensitive , and the hygroscopic
properties are unknown . I couldn't find any references to
glycine perchlorate , but the nitrate has been reported here in this group .

A similar reaction might proceed for hexamine dinitrate
and ammonium perchlorate , although the temperature
and time of reaction would be of consequence due to
the thermal instability of hexamine salts .

Double salts or sensitive mixtures could result from any of these reactions even if a precipitate does not occur ,
so drying to a residue and testing the residue mixture
should be part of the plan even if no obvious precipitate
appears .

Also a paste of urea nitrate and ammonium perchlorate
would likely result in a powerful mixture but this one is known to be hygroscopic . However it would form a powerful
slurry or perhaps a binary component of a melt having other
ingredients . It would be hard to get it dry and keep it dry
but of course it would be detonable that way too and it would be more powerful than the mixtures using only nitrates .

And then there is the possibility of Betaine Perchlorate
from the nitrate of Betaine ....:D lots of possibilities .

DeAdFX - 29-7-2006 at 09:10

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosco Bodine
Shortened....

I have some Trioxane which is the trimer of formaldhyde. The creation of formit requires a 37% solution of formaldhyde and ammonium nitrate. I wonder if the usage of water could be avoided and instead molten Trioxane could be subsituted in? Trioxane is the only OTC source of formaldhyde I have. :(

@ the glycine idea. If all else fails you could find a eutetic mixture of Ammonium Nitrate/Perchlorate and glycine that melts at a lower temperature than 65C unless Ammonium Perchlorate eutectic mixtures are unaffected by the decompisition point of 65C.

@ marsh....
I hear that Amines and Ammonium compounds sensitize explosive mixtures of nitromethane. I can't personaly comment on this because I haven't made Nitromethane explosives before...

Ammonium Perchlorate has the lowest solubility of any Ammonium compounds in water that I am aware of. Your better off with Nitromethane, the suggested perchlorate compounds by Rosco, or possible Ammonium perchlorate eutectics. If you had Ammonium Nitrate or Sodium Perchlorate slurry based explosives would probably be a better choice.

[Edited on 29-7-2006 by DeAdFX]

Rosco Bodine - 29-7-2006 at 10:33

Quote:
I have some Trioxane which is the trimer of formaldhyde. The creation of formit requires a 37% solution of formaldhyde and ammonium nitrate. I wonder if the usage of water could be avoided and instead molten Trioxane could be subsituted in? Trioxane is the only OTC source of formaldhyde I have. :(

It would be my guess that trioxane would possibly work even better than formalin or para in the methylamine salt formation reaction with ammonium salts , but I think some water will be required and the mixture will need to be stirred
and may need to catalyzed at the start with a bit of hydrochloric or sulfuric , possibly phosphoric or acid .
Enough formic acid should be produced as the reaction proceeds to maintain the depolymerization of the trioxane .
It would be prudent to test this with a small batch at first , since this depolymerization and methylation reaction has potential for becoming autocatalytic and self-accelerating rapidly depending on the exotherm possibly resulting in a sudden boiling and even explosive decomposition if too little water is present to control the temperature by boiling away .
This potential needs to be surveyed before scaleup to any large batch .

Possibly urea may have to be omitted for this reaction to go properly using formaldehyde in the form of trioxane .....or maybe not , I am not sure . But the basic reaction should proceed . It might work as a melt phase reaction , but it
could detonate .....this might be a good test for a small
quantity in an expendable beaker on an expendable hotplate , melted together and observed remotely from
behind some protective blast shield .

Marsh - 29-7-2006 at 18:33

Quote:
I hear that Amines and Ammonium compounds sensitize explosive mixtures of nitromethane. I can't personaly comment on this because I haven't made Nitromethane explosives before...

Ammonium Perchlorate has the lowest solubility of any Ammonium compounds in water that I am aware of. Your better off with Nitromethane, the suggested perchlorate compounds by Rosco, or possible Ammonium perchlorate eutectics. If you had Ammonium Nitrate or Sodium Perchlorate slurry based explosives would probably be a better choice.

I have heard of them sensitizing ANNM, but used in low quantities I believe; thus being of limited use here it would seem.

I would like to try an experiment with urea nitrate reacted with ammonium perchlorate.

I am not familiar with these eutectics which you speak of either.

And when you say AN/SP slurrys, are you referring to a slurry containing both of these in a water mix?

DeAdFX - 3-8-2006 at 16:04

Quote:
SNIP

I have some time to do some experimenting. I will try melting Ammonium Nitrate 70%(.7) and Trioxane 30%(.3g) in a test tube. Nitrates seem to be very forgiving oxidizers. If I feel comfortable with AN/Trioxane then I will try AP/Trioxane. The test tube will be in a 400mL beaker containing water(I think 50-150mL sounds good enough). I will provide pictures too...

Marsh - 6-8-2006 at 09:34

Quote:

I have some time to do some experimenting. I will try melting Ammonium Nitrate 70%(.7) and Trioxane 30%(.3g) in a test tube. Nitrates seem to be very forgiving oxidizers. If I feel comfortable with AN/Trioxane then I will try AP/Trioxane. The test tube will be in a 400mL beaker containing water(I think 50-150mL sounds good enough). I will provide pictures too...

Did you ever get to try this idea?

Anyways, on another note, can anyone comment on the possibility to detonate NH4ClO4 bound with HTPB or PBAN without booster?

I realize this is rocket propellant, but I was thinking with the right amount of binder it may be possible. Or is this simply much too insensitive a mixture? Personally I don't think it is possible, but if anyone else thinks otherwise I will try it.

I have both and I could test this tomorrow if there is possibility.

[Edited on 6-8-2006 by Marsh]

APCP - 6-8-2006 at 11:03

Quote:

Did you ever get to try this idea?

Anyways, on another note, can anyone comment on the possibility to detonate NH4ClO4 bound with HTPB or PBAN without booster?

I realize this is rocket propellant, but I was thinking with the right amount of binder it may be possible. Or is this simply much too insensitive a mixture? Personally I don't think it is possible, but if anyone else thinks otherwise I will try it.

I have both and I could test this tomorrow if there is possibility.

[Edited on 6-8-2006 by Marsh]

Hmm, it *may* be possible to detonate if only a minute amout of binder is used. This would be similar to ANFO compositions, except, ofcourse, AP being used.

In actual APCP propellants used in HPR, the propellant can't be detonated (atleast in how I believe a detonation occurs.) Possibly a minute amout does detonate, but the majority does not. I have tested this using the grain from an Aerotech G80. It should have AP, HTPB, CuO, and possibly an anti-oxidizing adjent. To attemp to detonate, I used a cap containing half a gram of acetone peroxide, the 1 gram of ETN pressed to .8 g/in^3. The cap fired, and ripped the propellant into "chunks."

I will attempt this again at the next rocket launch (late August) to try to back up this data.

I'm not sure if anyone here knows, but the BATFE is trying to greatly restrict APCP motors by defining them as an explosive. The rocketry organizations are fighting this ruling and are, so far, winning. The final ruling by the courts has been pushed back to mid October.

Marsh - 6-8-2006 at 14:06

Quote:
Originally posted by APCPHmm, it *may* be possible to detonate if only a minute amout of binder is used. This would be similar to ANFO compositions, except, ofcourse, AP being used.

In actual APCP propellants used in HPR, the propellant can't be detonated (atleast in how I believe a detonation occurs.) Possibly a minute amout does detonate, but the majority does not. I have tested this using the grain from an Aerotech G80. It should have AP, HTPB, CuO, and possibly an anti-oxidizing adjent. To attemp to detonate, I used a cap containing half a gram of acetone peroxide, the 1 gram of ETN pressed to .8 g/in^3. The cap fired, and ripped the propellant into "chunks."

I will attempt this again at the next rocket launch (late August) to try to back up this data.

I'm not sure if anyone here knows, but the BATFE is trying to greatly restrict APCP motors by defining them as an explosive. The rocketry organizations are fighting this ruling and are, so far, winning. The final ruling by the courts has been pushed back to mid October.

I have CuO, and 200 mic NH4ClO4. I will mix up some batches (with detonator holes cast) to be attempted tomorrow.

I am into HPR myself; I never have understood the "banning" of AP as I personally have never once seen it used as explosive. Well whatever the gov't *tries* to do, I can assure they will never impede on my ability to continue experimental AP motors (the bastards can try, I'm stocked for life :P). I have donated to this legal fund, and from what I have heard the BATF has so far poorly backed their side of the arguement in the courtroom. I'm really not too concerned as I don't think we'll lose.

Anyways to the point...I don't think there is anyway you could have det'd that G80 grain...being that it is probably >18% binder.

I don't have any PETN ready at the moment, but I will try 2.5g acetone peroxide on the following plastic mixture:

3% HTPB
1% CuO
7% Al
89% NH4ClO4

Then, same proportions of solids with 5% and 10% binder amounts in exchange for perchlorate (which will almost surely be too insensitive at this point).

I will post results as they cure, hopefully by tomorrow night.

[Edited on 8-8-2006 by Marsh]

Marsh - 7-8-2006 at 17:03

Ok, grains have been cast but they cannot fire tonight unfortunately.

It was very hard to be precise at these amounts with curative on my scale, and is still quite soft; I may have used slightly too little isocyanate (but that's ok).

On the topic of perchlorates, I'm thinking about sensitizing NH4ClO4 with MEKP for a gel explosive. I do not know if the MEKP will absorb properly, though. I guess I will find out once I try it.

I don't know the exact molar weights for MEKP, but judging by an AN/MEKP ratio of 9:1 I found, I would believe something on the order of 6-8% by weight MEKP should be appropriate to do the trick, bound by xanthum gum.

APCP - 7-8-2006 at 17:45

Yes, that should be fine.

When you do fire the charges, please video tape them, and record as much data as you can. More than just the members here will be curious on the results.

As for MEKP with NH4ClO4, it will work, I'm doubtful if it will form a gell. It will most likely have the texture of MEKPAN, but should give better results.

Marsh - 7-8-2006 at 21:05

Reverting to my last post, I have been thinking...if MEKP/NH4ClO4 isn't quite sensitive enough for non-boosted detonation, there also exists the possibility of a three way MEKP/TCAP/NH4ClO4 mixture. This would allow higher solids content through addition of the TCAP and thus increased density of coarse, while allowing an obtainable desired density available by the MEKP/TCAP ratio, while also remaining less sensitive than a dry NH4ClO4/TCAP mixture alone.

Does this sound too good to be true, crazy, or probable to anyone?

NH4ClO4/TCAP/MEKP Success...

Marsh - 10-8-2006 at 12:46

Well, the above mentioned combination sure as heck worked alright.

I started by the dual synthesis of TCAP in MEKP, with there being more MEKP product (should have been approximately 2:3 TCAP:MEKP). Of coarse you could simply add the TCAP to the MEKP, but I did it this way to kill two birds with one stone.

My MEKP this morning was very clear with just a slight white haze, and all MEK had evaporated out after getting it to about 95% last night.

I used a NH4ClO4:TCAP/MEKP ratio of 80:20, which I now believe could have been possibly 85:15 for more brisance. I arrived at this assuming a -150% oxygen balance from MEKP, so a correction may be in store if I'm off.

Cap used was about 2.5g TCAP (det in the photo is partially stuffed with kleanex, not full), and full-detonation occurred, with a very nice boom (but heck what doesn't have a nice boom...).

The total charge weight was 250g. As you can see I placed it into a cup, and set this inside the corner of a very heavy steel mining bucket. The steel in the very corner was a combination of layers up to 1" total thickness which it bent out. I really need to aquire some flat steel plate from somewhere, to test this against ANFO etc without confining the charge in the bucket. It would seem this stuff would nearly have to be much more powerful than ANFO, with the available fuel/oxygen content. I guess the main competitor would be ANNMSA or ANNM/Xylol. By the way, I only gave this about 10 minutes to sit after mixing as more rain was coming.

I will make more MEKP tonight, and test some other batches over the next few days, I'll try the other bucket corner next with 85:15.

Video: <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TnB0F1Wk1lk"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TnB0F1Wk1lk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed></object>

85:15

Marsh - 10-8-2006 at 21:58

Alright, for some reason I thought that the little dent the charge made earlier was high and mighty...

I decided I had to go back out tonight once the rain let up and test another charge, this time using a more correct 84:16 ratio for higher brisance.

This was a night and day difference. The charge completely mangled the steel surrounding it. The 1/4" thick base it sat on was easily penetrated and is gone.

I hate to make assumptions so quickly, but this stuff seems pretty darned powerful...possibly more than ANNMSA (the support bars this bent were 3/4" steel). I really need to do a plate test between them at this point.

The charge was slightly larger this time, at 285g (I decided to throw in the remaining bit left), but as you can see, the extra 35g was little in the whole perspective here.

It was again mixed and packed into a plastic cup, detonated with 2.5g TCAP.

[Edited on 11-8-2006 by Marsh]

Marsh - 11-8-2006 at 18:40

Thought this powerful composition would have generated more interest, but I guess not...

I have thought about using Al in this composition to further increase power, but if I recall the MEKP may react with the Al in a negative way to do so.

At this point it is realized that the TCAP can be left out of the mixture, assuming sensitivity is still going to be moderate. It would help brisance just a bit to use the TCAP, and it remains in the liquid MEKP, but I do not know if it is worth the added trouble for anyone. I realize these primaries typically strike fear in large quantity, but with the MEKP in the mixture I feel this is a generally safe explosive when precaution is taken during the mixing/handling of it.

I will be testing some more of this tomorrow, hopefully I can locate a large plate to dent test this time.

I assume Vod's may be too low, but I would also like to try this in a few shaped charges to see if it is capable of anything good.

[Edited on 12-8-2006 by Marsh]

Eclectic - 12-8-2006 at 16:18

Here is a link to a short discussion about a LiClO4/epoxy homogenous propellant formulation:
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/5361/chlorate/...

There was a concern expressed that it might be detonatable. Anyone want to test it?

Marsh - 12-8-2006 at 18:23

Quote:
Originally posted by Marsh I assume Vod's may be too low, but I would also like to try this in a few shaped charges to see if it is capable of anything good.

I managed to try this composition in a shaped charge tonight.

This charge had almost no confinement (plastic cup), and used a very mediocre means of a liner cone...a plastic rocket nose.

I can not get ahold of any copper cones, so I figured all I could do would be to try a design which more than likely wouldn't produce results, but just might.

Well needless to say, the results look promising. I used 200g total ammonium perchlorate/MEKP, at 85:15. It achieved almost 7mm of crater depth, at around 27mm max diameter. The plastic cone used was about this diameter, and about 35mm tall. Standoff was 30mm. There wasn't much overhead above the cone tip, so the wave may not have leveled.

Regardless, from a charge which in my opinion would have done nothing with an AN mixture, this achieved penetration. I believe with the use of a copper liner, this should easily be a composition suitable for shaped charges.

Since I cannot produce any copper cones myself, would someone out there be willing to test this composition who does have them? I have reason to believe vod's may be quite high, and I have interests in finding out if this is indeed true.

chemoleo - 13-8-2006 at 15:33

I think partly the reason that people do not comment is because not many have access to ammonium perchlorate. If you did the same thing with NH4NO3, it might be of more direct use to people. However I think this's been discussed a lot elsewhere.
But don't fret, we all read it with interest!

BTW, for 200 g, do you really think this is impressive? It is quite a large amount.... and SC's have been made with smaller amounts. Did you try the same wiht proper HEs?

PS I also don't think you'll get much appreciation for mixing x with AP - I think it has been established that this is a risky thing to do.
I do like the MEKP idea though!
PS2 I can't imagine that a 5 % difference in AP supposedly makes such a big difference! ARe you sure there weren't other factors involved? This would be most surprising.

[Edited on 13-8-2006 by chemoleo]

Rosco Bodine - 13-8-2006 at 15:58

Clearly you got some jet formation to erode that crater
in the steel .

You are on the right track to use the coprecipitated
50/50 AP/MEKP as it is more dense and intense than
either peroxide alone . Some suggested mixture ranges
for this with NH4NO3 should be adaptable in the same way for NH4ClO4 oxidizer which you are using . Even though the mixture is sensitive enough to be set off
by an AP cap , it may not be producing its maximum velocity with that lazy sort of initiating impulse . To
really see what may be the maximum velocity you
should use a stronger detonator with a conventional
HE base charge like PETN or picric acid . It is also unknown what could be the practical minimum diameter
and charge mass for the composition to be useful as a shaped charge . For example at 50mm the composition may show no clue what it may be capable at 88mm ....it just depends on what the tests show about this sort of parameter .

I definitely would not mix anything else with such a mixture of organic peroxides and oxidizer , and avoid
contact with plastics other than polyethylene , maybe PET , or polypropylene or flourocarbons ....no vinyl , styrene , ect . and no metals either due to the reactivity of the MEKP .

Marsh - 13-8-2006 at 18:36

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
I think partly the reason that people do not comment is because not many have access to ammonium perchlorate. If you did the same thing with NH4NO3, it might be of more direct use to people. However I think this's been discussed a lot elsewhere.
But don't fret, we all read it with interest!

BTW, for 200 g, do you really think this is impressive? It is quite a large amount.... and SC's have been made with smaller amounts. Did you try the same wiht proper HEs?

PS I also don't think you'll get much appreciation for mixing x with AP - I think it has been established that this is a risky thing to do.
I do like the MEKP idea though!
PS2 I can't imagine that a 5 % difference in AP supposedly makes such a big difference! ARe you sure there weren't other factors involved? This would be most surprising.

[Edited on 13-8-2006 by chemoleo]

I thought ammonium perc was fairly easy to come by, I guess not (it is for me).

At 200g it is a huge charge for a crater that small indeed, but this wasn't effectively the harnessed amount used for the actual cut...the surrounding amount around the cone was less.

The only reason I tried this shaped charge is simply because I was curious if a small jet would form, from the much improper setup (plastic liner).

I have seen people use larger charges, and get not even as much as a dent on the target from a half-proper liner. So I was surprised to see penetration from plastic and a mixture such as this.

As far as mixing TCAP being frowned upon, well as you said, the mix always involves MEKP which is seemingly much safer. There isn't a scary dry mixture on hand.

After I posted that the TCAP really isn't needed, I really wanted to take that back. After firing a few more charges, and like Rosco is talking about, I really feel brisance is much greater with a TCAP/MEKP mixture (it's simple to figure out as density rises a bit).

By the way, that 5% change made an extreme difference. I cannot over emphasize this. The 80:20 seemingly made a longer lasting fireball in the video. The 85:15 (actually only 4% difference because it was closer to 84:16) made a much sharper crack (by this I mean noise, which echoed more), and obviously did a lot more damage to the steel. I have that video, but it is at night so all that can be seen is the flash. But, the mixes using the TCAP do seem to leave a cleaner residue after detonation I noticed, I do not know why this is exactly...must simply be a more complete det.

I haven't ventured below the 85:15 ratio, but possibly more brisance can be gained, I do not know for sure.

I really think the test for this stuff would be with shaped charges and various TCAP/MEKP ratios, as well as various ammonium perc/MEKP ratios.

I simply do not have thin steel to try any other tests on now, unless I find some plate.

I do not have NM, but I really would like to see an ANNMSA comparison.

About the TCAP det's, I know it's kewlish and weak to use, but it is the best I can do until my pent arrives anyday. Also on this note, I will try to test an equivalent PETN plastic charge (with plastic liner) on this steel for result comparison.

And also about the various minimum SC diameters which aren't yet determined, I do realize this as well.

There is really a lot of testing I would like to do with this mixture. I just simply do not have the materials I need at the moment. If I can figure out how to cut these lightbulbs properly I can use them as liners for a test.

Mainly what's keeping me going on this mixture, is the fact that it seems relatively powerful so far for its simplicity. Although it uses the peroxides, in this scenario it isn't exactly a bad thing. I know it will never cut steel like a true high-Vod explosive, but if it can manage to be perfected to deliver good results, you really cannot limit something like this out completely. I know it isn't as "exotic" etc, but of coarse a lot of us do seek something as simple as this.

So whatever I can find out through experimenting, I will and post. In the end it may not be a "wonder explosive" like I may seemingly make it out to be at the moment, but it has just come off as an appealing mix to me so far, and definitely not expensive.

[Edited on 14-8-2006 by Marsh]

Boomer - 14-8-2006 at 02:29

Two points:

1. That big a difference is *impossible* to be reached by just 4% ratio change. Compare 80/20, 60/40 and 50/50 amatol, quite a linear change. 4% would make less difference than random things like packing density/cap placement/container shape etc.
What I strongly suspect is that the drier mix went high order, the 80/20 mix went below max potential. Read the kinepack patent to see why they add xylene to the NM, it is done to keep OB while preventing the stuff from getting saturated with liquid, which would happen if they tried to get zero OB with just NM.

2. The dent is clearly *no* jet hole, but the result of munroe forces alone. They are under-estimated by most. Try an identical charge with just a paper cone (or remove the cone before placement) and you'll see.

On a side note: Why not use some (inert) solid fuel, with less peroxide in exchange? Would be safer, cheaper and not too much weaker. You'll never get a good SC explosive from an ammonium salt plus fuel anyway, unless the fuel is TNT or HMX, or the mix is cast and highly dense. What you *can* get from this is something similar in performance to kinepack (ANNM) and straight dynamites.

nitro-genes - 14-8-2006 at 03:25

Well, the munroe forces alone decrease rapidly with standoff, and he did use almost 1 CD space between cone and target. I was surprised to see the crater at all and I don't think kinepack would have had the same effect with such a standoff. Then again, maybe the plastic did contribute in tranferring some more energy to the target than with no liner. Looking at the crater it looks like there has been a good focus of the liner, but the low mass (density) of the plastic would make any possible jet rather low in energy, thus not penetrating very deep.
Since it is obvious though that plastic does not make for a good liner, try one of your charges without any standoff. 10 mm charges pressed with 2 grams of PETN made this way (no liner, zero standoff) bang through 6 mm steel plate easily. For larger charges, high brisance explosives can do almost 1 CD of penetration. I don't think it will perform like that though since the VoD of your mixture will be alot lower, it would however be a good indication of brisance. I think that addition of the 5% of MEKP may not boost the brisance by higher density or energy content, but more by reducing critical diameter for a high VoD a bit.

Some more people were asking how to cut the lightbulbs properly since the flame engulfes almost the whole lighbulb. The solution however is very simple, turn the lightbulb upside down so that the flames only touch the downside, which you will dispose anyway. :)

[Edited on 14-8-2006 by nitro-genes]

Marsh - 14-8-2006 at 08:46

I'll have to disagree as well, I feel this in no way was caused by munroe forces at 30mm standoff.

The crater seems clearly the result of a jet formation.

And again I know some are thinking, "why mess with shaped charges?". Well it simply seems that more can be learned about the explosive through use of a shaped charge, that's all (even though performance may not be up to par).

I don't think the munroe forces can really be tested with this composition, other than with thin plate/larger charge diameters. Certainly no tests which could be directly compaired to PETN (well at least not at 10mm CD).

Right this moment I will go and attempt to crack the lightbulbs I have to try another shaped charge. These 40w lightbulbs just seem much too thin to transfer much energy, I guess I will find out.

As far as the 80:20 vs 85:15, this is sort of unexplained to me also, although it is probably correct that the 85:15 simply went high-order. The main difference was that much more black residue was left after the burn of the 80:20.

It was my assumption that by default this mixture should outperform kinepak explosives when mixed correctly. The fuel/oxidizer potential just seems to be greater than an AN mixture...obviously with the much higher oxygen content in the NH4ClO4.

Marsh - 15-8-2006 at 07:36

So I did a quick web search to come up with some Vod's on AP compostions, there seems to be some info about this in the Rogue forum. Well gee what do you know, I have a user name there, and have not attempted even 1 post, I get there and am greeted with a message: BANNED. Reason: :)

Wow this is a great forum, you get banned for posting or not posting...does anyone know how that large of an object got up NBK's ass?

Oh well, cookies cleared and I'm in...got some info saying that pure NH4ClO4 detonates at around 3677m/s, although actual without voids should be near 4000m/s.

While at the same time a 65:25:10 AP/Al/Acetic acid will give 6900m/s.

Lactic acid replacing acetic will det at over 7000m/s.

These results look promising for AP compositions. I do have quite a few pounds of Al powder, maybe I could try something a bit different, possibly using this (AP/MEKP) mixture as a booster.

[Edited on 15-8-2006 by Marsh]

Boomer - 15-8-2006 at 23:47

Those AP comps are highly dense, with the acetic filling the voids? I was surprised myself of the brisance a *melt/cast* AN mix showed compared to the usual ANxx. See the pic of a 5mm steel plate on which was placed a 22mm cylinder of AN/HDN/UN/NaN. It is not so much that it *did* penetrate, but the cleanly punched hole with no bending of the edges.

Unfortunately you cannot melt AP, at least there is no eutectic I know of melting as low as AN/GN/NQ or the above mentioned mix which is castable even from a water bath.

And sorry, my munroe-assumption was probably wrong, overlooking the 30mm stand-off. The dent was then likely caused by the plastic eroding the metal. Still, it is very different from a typical jet hole, which is not that rounded but rather looks like drilled, with a clean edge.

Cast-AN-Punch.JPG - 77kB

Rosco Bodine - 16-8-2006 at 00:23

@Boomer

What exactly was the proportions on the melt cast

AN/HDN/UN/NaN ( NaNO3 ) ?

It seems like the HDN should decompose in that mix
when melted , but could additionally form a bit of methylamine nitrate in the melt .
There is also potential for a urea-formaldehyde
polymer / sensitizer to form in the melt . Did you notice any foaming in the melt or did it become opaque from microbubbles ? Any color shift in the melt observed ?

I have speculated about melts of this sort being
possible to be close equivalent to TNT in velocity ,
and it looks like you have something there which
gives confirmation on this . There have been a few
clues in the patent literature but very few specific
melt cast multiple eutectic compositions mentioned .

Also what sort of sensitivity to initiation did it have ?

[Edited on 16-8-2006 by Rosco Bodine]

quicksilver - 16-8-2006 at 06:28

Quote:
. Well gee what do you know, I have a user name there, and have not attempted even 1 post, I get there and am greeted with a message: BANNED. Reason: :)

Wow this is a great forum, you get banned for posting or not posting...does anyone know how that large of an object got up NBK's ass?

There is really nothing anyone can say about that whole issue: it happens so damn much that it's just expected. - I really don't know what that object is however.

nitro-genes - 16-8-2006 at 07:07

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
See the pic of a 5mm steel plate on which was placed a 22mm cylinder of AN/HDN/UN/NaN. It is not so much that it *did* penetrate, but the cleanly punched hole with no bending of the edges.

Impressive performance, escpecially considering the small diameter of the explosive cylinder! Did you use a booster of some kind, or add few % microballoons to sensitise?

Using a waterbath to meltcast this eutectic is very conveniant, it also means that the melting temperature is less less than 100 deg. C. This makes it ideal for making meltcasts with other explosives like PETN or RDX, analogous to pentolite or cyclotol...

Hoepfully you wouldn't mind sharing some more information about the exact composition of this mixture? :)

[Edited on 16-8-2006 by nitro-genes]

Marsh - 16-8-2006 at 09:10

Quote:
Those AP comps are highly dense, with the acetic filling the voids? I was surprised myself of the brisance a *melt/cast* AN mix showed compared to the usual ANxx. See the pic of a 5mm steel plate on which was placed a 22mm cylinder of AN/HDN/UN/NaN. It is not so much that it *did* penetrate, but the cleanly punched hole with no bending of the edges.

Unfortunately you cannot melt AP, at least there is no eutectic I know of melting as low as AN/GN/NQ or the above mentioned mix which is castable even from a water bath.

And sorry, my munroe-assumption was probably wrong, overlooking the 30mm stand-off. The dent was then likely caused by the plastic eroding the metal. Still, it is very different from a typical jet hole, which is not that rounded but rather looks like drilled, with a clean edge.

I too am very impressed by that photo. Cleanly punched right through.

It would be highly desired to have an AP melt, but as said, it melts at temps a bit too high to be workable.

On a second note, a PBX explosive using AP should result in good performance as well, any thoughts on possible mixes?

I was thinking AP/Al/PETN, or AP/PETN.

My pent arrived yesterday. :)

Edit: I tried detonating 42g AP/Al/SP 60:20:20 mixed with acetone and pressed into a film cannister today with a 2g TCAP det. I did not get any bit of detonation.

I know I know, I need a better det design, but this shows this mix is not easily initiated.

[Edited on 16-8-2006 by Marsh]

quicksilver - 19-8-2006 at 06:22

ETN / AP melt exceedingly well. Initiation is not too difficult with less than perfect detonation devices. On the other hand AP / NM leaves Kinepac behind albiet the cost difference is such that it was never favoured by industry. I saw a test of the above and it is impressive in small weights/diamiters.
A very interesting item is the re-crystalization of ETN -=with=- PETN 50/50 and that used as a melt cast base for AP or what have you. ETN lowers the temp needed for same.
Why not use ETN exclusivly? When compaired in an impact test one finds ETN to be MUCH too sensitive (extra care is really needed with a well made product) - - on the level of NG. The PETN appears to alter the level of sensitivity to a more comfortable one.

Boomer - 21-8-2006 at 01:15

Sorry I did not come back with ratios on the melt/cast comp, will do so soon.

Where is the sense in mixing ETN with AP, it is already OB positive. All you can do is lower power and brisance. You might boost power by adding Al to use up the oxygen from the AP, but these would have to be hot pressed instead of cast due to low ETN content. It would be binder and sensitizer in one. Compare 80/20 amatol.

On a side note, not only is it possible to replace AN with AP in kinekack. Jerry (the inventor of kinepack and also astrolite) wrote on a.e.e. about it. An excerpt:

"...Beware of Astrolite in cylindrical tubes of high shock impedance. It
loves a good LVD (low velocity detonation) under such conditions and
most anything is liable to set it off. (this just for info - B.)

BTW, Astrolites A and G were pussycats compared to some of the other
letters that nobody ever wrote about in public.

(...) Both of these mixtures are known as Astrolites, a trade name. Astrolite is
a binary explosive, consisting of hydrazin perchlorate and nitrate,
when mixed. Some astrolites are made of only the perchlorate (the most
powerful ones)...."

quicksilver - 21-8-2006 at 07:02

Yes, from the standpoint of OB there would be no doubt that it is not appropriate but from a strictly utilitiarian standpoint there may be some unique things it could do. ETN melts fast and is very viscous. The interesting issue would be what ratio is used. 50/50 would not be apprioriate but there may be other ratios that yield a very fluid cast, filling spaces well and solid. The example of alumitised Amatol is a sound one on certain levels. [It was economicly justified, I believe] From reading patent literature I found that many well made SC models funtioned only if the energetic material behind them had little or no air pockets. Pressed material seems frought with difficulties but cast material seemed to make even poor designs funtion well. OB being secondary to a good cast. Would any perchlorate have as much brisance as a well made nitric ester? I doubt it - but it would stretch the available castable ester material. My only real point in that matter being that ETN is such a good candidate for same.

Marsh - 21-8-2006 at 19:09

I was able to test the AP/TCAP/MEKP in another shaped charge today, 85:7:8 ratio.

What may be useful here is to note the munroe forces demonstrated from this mixture.

The cylindrical lined charges previously tested by Axt (in the Unconventional shaped charge thread) had me interested. It appeared to me by the photos in that thread that the exits were roughly the result of a combination of transferred munroe force/minimal (or very low mass) jet formation.

It just really didn't look like an efficient jet was formed by the cylindrical-lined charges. This was also mentioned, stating it may have been a hole-punch effect.

My experiment compared to the previous one by Axt in the respect that I used 16mm diameter copper liner tubing (vs aluminum), and that my liner tube length was just slightly shorter; 57mm vs 65mm. The base of the charge was 60mm diameter, tapering back from over 70mm.

I felt that the minimal tube length I gave up (8mm compared to Axt's) was acceptable as it helped achieve more head-height above the tube for a flatter shock wave in my charge, and my cup container was less than optimal for mass conservation.

I felt that the L/D ratio of the tube should have still permitted a decent jet to form (if one was going to do so), so I too used zero-standoff. I also did this to give an idea of close munroe forces generated from the AP/TCAP/MEKP mixture.

Like always, I used a plastic drink cup you see at the grocery store in bulk packs. The copper tube was glued to the base, and the cup was packed 3/4 of the way.

This time around, I really wanted decent head height above the liner, and a whole 465g total was used to fill the cup mostly to allow this. I could have used much less had I used PVC pipe as the container. This is a large amount of explosive, but of coarse the amount which contributed to the jet should have roughly been in the 270-300g range. It was again initiated by one of my weak TCAP dets.

The charge was detonated and the results achieved were not particulary impressive of the design to me, although it did confirm my assumption that cylindrical-lined charges are not effective at sufficient penetration through thick targets.

Munroe forces bent the total 2.25" of steel all the way through, but unfortunately cylindrical liners do appear to give limited jet formation, and allowed a maximum of about 17mm jet penetration.

However by munroe force comparison, it is seemingly apparent that the mixture rivals ANNMSA.

On the back of the first plate, I could actually see a pinpoint (actually about 2mm) of copper which penetrated completely, only to be stopped by the second plate. Thus it is shown jet formation was minimal and/or low-mass.

I have pictured todays crater viewable against the other crater made by using a plastic cone. What I see is interesting, the jet formation (or cavity shape) seems to play a big role in penetrated material displaced, almost of equal value to that of the liner material chosen (but then again this may seem like a given). The plastic cone charge actually removed almost the same mass of steel it would appear, but with not as deep a penetration.

I have no doubt that if only one plate was used, damage would have occured duplicating the 1" plate test with 16mm tube which Axt performed using the ANNMSA.

I will place this info here, and place more of the same pertinent info in the unconventional shaped charge thread, since it seems the info covering both topics should be in both threads.

Here are the photos:

16mm Cylindrical charge vs. Plastic cone charge crater

2.25" Bent steel

Penetration w/ carrot

Back of first 3/4" plate

[Edited on 22-8-2006 by Marsh]

ethan_c - 22-8-2006 at 01:06

Quote:
I was able to test the AP/TCAP/MEKP in another shaped charge today, 85:7:8 ratio.

I assume AP stands for ammonium perchlorate?

Quote:
My experiment compared to the previous in the respect that I used 16mm diameter copper tubing (vs aluminum), and that my tube length was just slightly shorter; 57mm vs 65mm. The base of the charge was 60mm diameter, tapering back from over 70mm.

I don't quite understand this…you say the tubing is 16mm diam, but the base of the charge is 60mm? Could you draw a quick diagram on paint or something?

kiknet - 22-8-2006 at 02:05

I believe he means that the diameter of the Cylindrical copper liner tube is 16mm and that sat inside a 60mm cup

quicksilver - 22-8-2006 at 06:05

By what determinate have you concluded that the cap is "weak"? Knowing if a material is overdriven is often evolved by comparison or in a lab but if the material does indeed detonate leaving behind none of the original compound could it not be said that the detonation was complete?

As an aside, if the stacked plates shown are not bolted together tightly there will be a "spring" factor upon detonation (albiet minor) that MIGHT have a negitive effect on penitration.

Marsh - 22-8-2006 at 07:37

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilver
By what determinate have you concluded that the cap is "weak"? Knowing if a material is overdriven is often evolved by comparison or in a lab but if the material does indeed detonate leaving behind none of the original compound could it not be said that the detonation was complete?

As an aside, if the stacked plates shown are not bolted together tightly there will be a "spring" factor upon detonation (albiet minor) that MIGHT have a negitive effect on penitration.

I re-worded slightly for the person who hasn't been following this thread, I hope this helps you understand better. And yes, it is simply a centered tube glued standing in a plastic cup (of coarse!)...

Quicksilver, detonation is indeed complete, and obviously powerful. I used the word "weak" because I feel if I considered my TCAP det's anything more in this forum, it would be apparent I was lacking knowledge of det compositions.

Like Rosco said, if I was to do some sort of true brisance test for this composition, I should really use a PETN det to ensure the shockwave begins at a high rate of speed. I simply feel this stuff is sensitive, and TCAP sure as heck does the job. I never have quite understood this, because to me it would seem (upon initiation) the wave would accelerate instantly reaching the compositions max Vod, but apparently the det may be small factor of achieved Vod.

And at the spring factor, I really don't know if I would ever worry about this. The jet should be through the plates before inertia of the plates even begins to move them a mm.

quicksilver - 23-8-2006 at 06:35

Quote:

And at the spring factor, I really don't know if I would ever worry about this. The jet should be through the plates before inertia of the plates even begins to move them a mm.

I really mis-spoke when I used the term spring. I tried to dig up the material before I posted but couldn't find it in time....but there is a military test of armor for a light vehicle wherein the structure is in series (sort of like the plates shown above) and they were quite a bit more effective than thicker singular plates. True enough when a jet is measured the time frame is such that one would wonder how any type of "spring" could be repellant to a jet from a SC but apperently there is some factor being experimented with that reduces the effecency of that jet. It's not a spring effect, per se' but an element of physics wherein the jet is reduced in effecency by pocket defusment. Seems incredable in the light of the speed of the jet but I believe that some validity exists to that concept.

On another note you spoke of the head-height of composition above the cone and it started to make me think of the depth of the det in relation to this level. If one were to experiment with the depth of the det so as to allow the det to encompass a greater degree of base energetic material perhaps more efficiency could be achieved....The most useful thing about making one's own det is that construction could be altered to fit one's needs. If the det were wider and flater than the typical tube det a greater area of base composition might receive efficient initiation wave....just a thought.
It seems that since you've come this far and achieved success the individual experiments and their notes have much greater importance. And after reading this thread the one issue that (for me) begs an answer is: What is the lowest VoD explos that can produce a jet and could the Monroe effect in itself (no cone, etc) be achieved regardless of the speed / brisance?

[Edited on 23-8-2006 by quicksilver]

Marsh - 23-8-2006 at 08:03

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilver On another note you spoke of the head-height of composition above the cone and it started to make me think of the depth of the det in relation to this level. If one were to experiment with the depth of the det so as to allow the det to encompass a greater degree of base energetic material perhaps more efficiency could be achieved....The most useful thing about making one's own det is that construction could be altered to fit one's needs. If the det were wider and flater than the typical tube det a greater area of base composition might receive efficient initiation wave....just a thought.
It seems that since you've come this far and achieved success the individual experiments and their notes have much greater importance. And after reading this thread the one issue that (for me) begs an answer is: What is the lowest VoD explos that can produce a jet and could the Monroe effect in itself (no cone, etc) be achieved regardless of the speed / brisance?

At the det height, I have really thought about this in my mind lately, and here is what I come up with...

When using a cylindrical detonator with a composition which has a lower Vod than the charge being initiated (my current scenario using TCAP), I have come to the conclusion that minimal insertion would work to flatten the wave travel.

If you simply imagine, the det being a column expanding from the top as the detonation wave travels, as soon as the expanding portion reaches the charge, initiation should begin. If you have a detonator holding 5000m/s Vod material, and around it 7000m/s material, the higher Vod material will obviously race the wave in the det, traveling faster (in this scenario, we are assuming the det is well placed into the material to better imagine the event).

Since both waves are continuing downward, as well as expanding in all directions, the faster outer waves work inward on the detonator itself (like a cylindrical lined charge). This should, although being minor, try to force a small jet from the ends of the detonator itself, also initiating a sharper wave below the detonator. This would be due to two waves whoms speed becomes matched (TCAP being boosted to the higher Vod of the surrounding charge), but the outer material possesing more energy, thus creating a small jet with the weaker material. Although when imagined this way, it can get tricky trying to imagine if a jet would really be allowed to form, or if energy of materials would stop this from happening.

If the detonator is placed in contact with, but not into the detonating material, as you can imagine the wave travels downward until reaching the high-Vod material, and one wave of the same Vod begins. This would be best suited for sensitive shaped charges.

The best suited det design actually for a shaped charge like this, would be a circular ring detonator in which the ring could be completely initiated from the outsides at the same time. This would start a wave effect similar to using a lens (a reverse wave) and would impact the liner at higher impeding angles, thus driving a more powerful jet.

I do know that the dets used for some commercial shaped charges look like flat thin pancakes, I assume they must initiate from the middle with a very high-Vod material to achieve the flatter wave they are after to strike the base charge. If they could electronically initiate all the way around from the sides instantaneously this would be desireable.

As for the asking of lowest Vod material to achieve a jet, any detonating material is capable of forming a jet in a shaped charge, the dynamics are always at play. It is the simple fact that, in combination with liner thickness etc, this jet may simply be too weak to permit penetration of steel targets etc. It would be interesting to see the penetration of a lower Vod material on wood etc simply for view of this, although it is known upwards of 6000m/s becomes useable for steel cutting, with jet potential basically becoming unlimited with increasing Vod of the material.

Munroe forces are always there, it is simply a term, it's just that the more powerful materials leave these munroe imprints more clearly visable on steel etc. The charge being a shaped one has nothing to do with the overall munroe imprint left on the steel, for instance in my photo; without the liner there would have still been the munroe effect (wide) crater.

[Edited on 24-8-2006 by Marsh]

Boomer - 24-8-2006 at 01:18

Is not the phrase "munroe effect" used for *colliding* shock waves, i.e. for charges with a cavity (usually no liner)? You seem to use it for the inprint on the target having (at least) the same dimeter as charge.

nitro-genes - 24-8-2006 at 05:03

Nice one Marsh...:)

The cylindrical charge in particular, it looks like the first centimeter there was mainly the hole punching effect from the colliding shockwaves (munroe forces), but you are the first that also had clear evidence of at least some jet formation!
Although I suspect that this might be due to the fact that your composition may fire at lower VoD's than you think, using this setup and detonator. Chris did the same setup with methyl nitrate (8000 m/s), and got no penetration at all. It is discussed on the bottom of page 16 of the "shaped charge thread" IIRC... :)

[Edited on 24-8-2006 by nitro-genes]

Marsh - 24-8-2006 at 08:10

Quote:
Originally posted by nitro-genes
Nice one Marsh...:)

The cylindrical charge in particular, it looks like the first centimeter there was mainly the hole punching effect from the colliding shockwaves (munroe forces), but you are the first that also had clear evidence of at least some jet formation!
Although I suspect that this might be due to the fact that your composition may fire at lower VoD's than you think, using this setup and detonator. Chris did the same setup with methyl nitrate (8000 m/s), and got no penetration at all. It is discussed on the bottom of page 16 of the "shaped charge thread" IIRC... :)

[Edited on 24-8-2006 by nitro-genes]

Sorry guys, my understanding of munroe forces were assumed and now I see that they are simply the effect of a cavity with no liner, I stand corrected. For some reason I had assumed that munroe forces were direct high-energy impact zones visably produced simply from very close material-to-energetic material proximity. Or in other words, the large craters left around the charges with zero standoff.

Nitro, I read about the certain characteristics of cylindrical liners in those thread pages, and have learned things I did not previously know. You now have me much more excited about my outcome than previously! I didn't realize there was so much in question about the failure of these charges.

It is quite interesting though, as in case you may have noticed in the penetration photo, I too have a copper splatter which strayed off-axis like some of your charges. Although mine seems very minor at the most, it is still seemingly happening in a few different charges. I guess here it could simply be attributed to the not-so-perfect density of a charge this large which is packed.

I have purchased quite a few light bulbs, as I would still like to try a glass charge with this material. I simply haven't had the time to assemble one correctly myself lately, the cylindrical was quick and easy. I really need to get the bases of the bulb cones flat, or else material could get underneath and/or they would sit off-center. I could possibly pour epoxy into a cup, and submerge the imperfections of the bulb, then simply drill out the epoxy from the cone center I guess.

nitro-genes - 25-8-2006 at 09:16

Quote:
I too have a copper splatter which strayed off-axis like some of your charges...

Yes, I was puzzled by this too at first. After some reading it appeared to be completely normal though. (Experiment first, read later ;)) Like you said, small abberarions in the explosives density, the allignement and symmetry of the liner, and even internal stresses in the metal of the liner.

Quote:
I really need to get the bases of the bulb cones flat, or else material could get underneath and/or they would sit off-center. I could possibly pour epoxy into a cup, and submerge the imperfections of the bulb, then simply drill out the epoxy from the cone center I guess.

Hehe, I hope you're an expert in anger management! :D I cursed quite some times myself when I tried to make perfect cones out of those lightbulbs. In the end I gave up, and decided to simply glue the lightbulb to PVC tubing (explosive container), leaving all the imperfections just to stick out a little into the standoff tubing. Not that they matter in the first place. Glass glues reasonably well to PVC with PVC adhesive...

But, I only used the lightbulbs because I wanted the liner to be smaller than the 5 cm glass funnel Axt used. Since you use diameters in excess of 5 cm already, these funnels would be a much better choice I think... :)

Marsh - 25-8-2006 at 20:54

Quote:
Originally posted by nitro-genes
Hehe, I hope you're an expert in anger management! :D I cursed quite some times myself when I tried to make perfect cones out of those lightbulbs. In the end I gave up, and decided to simply glue the lightbulb to PVC tubing (explosive container), leaving all the imperfections just to stick out a little into the standoff tubing. Not that they matter in the first place. Glass glues reasonably well to PVC with PVC adhesive...

But, I only used the lightbulbs because I wanted the liner to be smaller than the 5 cm glass funnel Axt used. Since you use diameters in excess of 5 cm already, these funnels would be a much better choice I think... :)

I know, the second lightbulb I did had me cursing in my backyard, since the first one turned out OK and then it was hell from there.

Gee, this is starting to turn into the shaped charge thread...:) Seems to have drifted this way though so it's alright I guess, since I am really observing just what this perchlorate mixture is capable of as parallel discussion. But if you guys think I should continue the practical aspect of this to the USC thread, then so be it.

By the way, I'm ordering those glass funnels in a minute here too (but still envy Nitro for his perfect copper cones :P).

I didn't really explain my epoxy idea too great...what I meant was to have the base of my charge be a layer of epoxy that the base of the bulb lies in and cures. I feel I need the extra charge diameter there (instead of a pipe which fits the exact bulb diameter) to use just a bit more of the lightbulb for the jet formation, since my charges are usually quite moderate in size.

So yesterday I'm outside talking to the neighbor when he takes some copper pipe out to his garage where he collects it from construction work. I didn't want to ask for free copper, but then on the top of the pile I see one which looks very interesting to me, and was forced to ask for it...

Any ideas what outcome may result from this? (It is 16mm diameter spun-formed to a closed tip):

nitro-genes - 26-8-2006 at 09:15

Quote:
Any ideas what outcome may result from this? (It is 16mm diameter spun-formed to a closed tip)

That is really a brilliant idea! :o This would make the spinning even more easy and with standoff included. I estimate the thickness of the pipe about 1 mm, so using a copper pipe with a diameter of about 30 mm would give the optimal liner diameter/thickness ratio...

PS: Your spinnings do need some more practice by the looks of it! :P (Just kidding ;))

Quote:
...still envy Nitro for his perfect copper cones

The quest is the glory...;)

[Edited on 26-8-2006 by nitro-genes]

Boomer - 29-8-2006 at 05:45

As promised some info on the melt-cast. Admittedly only a paste from some of my APC posts, some more tests were done (including GN) afterwards, hopefully I'll find the time to add that info later.

/Paste:

I did not want to put this in the ANxx thread because of its bad reputation. And it would be lost in APAN posts anyway.

It is about melt/castable mixes based on ammonium nitrate *other* than those with TNT (where AN is only suspended). Urbanski has a few pages about this, but all were with mildly exotic things like ethylenediamine dinitrate, dicyandiamide etc. He concludes they are all very dense and hard to det without adding solid HEs in suspension.

I tried AN/HDN and AN/HDN/NaN before but did not get the melting point below 120C, too high for the HDN (smell). Now adding urea nitrate, I was quite surprised when a simple mix of equal parts of the four melted after seconds of applying a lighter flame to the test tube. Hell I had not even put the thermometer in, it was supposed to just pre-warm it slightly.

A better test showed that mp is approx 70-80C, but solidification is in stages. At 60C it gets less liquid, at 50C sticky, at 40C it forms a clump that makes "plock" sounds against stone, below 30C that turns to "klack" sounds. Not scientific but you get the point.

Using 30% each of AN/UN and 20% of HDN/NaN lead to a better OB (-2%) and all temps were 10C higher. It can still be made in a water bath, and *if* it ignites it is tame compared to hot candy propellant.

That was the second keyword here. In case we cannot det these mixes (though I will try, if needed with 20% RDX added) - what if I just invented a new rocket propellant? Anyone try, perhaps with Al added? This might get moved if it never dets but propels well...

Yesterday I tried without sodium nitrate, to have all-gas output (no Na2O etc). OB was optimised towards CO only, otherwise I guess it melts too high (too much AN). A mix of 40% AN and 30% each of UN/HDN (OB -2.6% for CO) melted at *around* 100C. At 105C it was quite liquid, and down to 90C you could mould it (like RC candy). It got rapidly harder below that, unlike the 1:1:1:1 mix with NaN which you could form by hand at a non-ouch temp, and which got rock hard at <30C.

A strand of 40/30/30 burned in the open with hissing and a yellow flame. With NaN it did *not* do that, but dropped down and burned in puddles only with more heating. I will play with the percentages today, to get the mp down just a tid so a water bath gets useable for casting. You might notice I am moving towards propellant more and more. Not that I discarded the idea to det it sometime, but could someone calculate the ISP of this stuff? I start to love it, no oil bath, no mad stirring for fear of overheating, you can even watch TV while it melts in a pot with water

Urbanski gives some mixes, e.g. 60-65% AN, 10% NaN, 5% dicyandiamide or 65-67% AN, 10-12% NaN, 3% Na-Acetat. Rest is TNT to get going at high density. These melt at 105-110C. Or 6/2/2 AN/GN/NG (130C), better 60/22.5/17.5 (eutectic, 113C). With AN/UN/HDN I got slightly below 100C, with additional NaN down to 80C. I hoped this last nitrate could be replaced with an organic nitrate, giving all gasses.

BTW I tested the cast comp of AN/UN/HDN/NaN with addition of 25% RDX, in a 14/16mm dia pipe 40mm long, both ends open, 2g MHN cap in cast cavity at the top. Punched a clean hole through a steel plate. *Surprisingly* brisant for something that's 75% nitrates! Hopefully I can upload the pic today.

Note: AP here means ammonium picrate. I'm no raghead in palestine ...

/End paste.

Marsh - 29-8-2006 at 08:12

I have a program which should calculate theoretical ISP. It is on a cd so I must find it first (if not I know people who can).

The question here as to whether or not it would make a desireable propellant against APCP is in its comparative elastic modulus.

If this can yield a lower elastic modulus (or near that of APCP), it may fair well if ISP's are indeed high. The fact is that APCP is so easy to make that this may not be desireable with it components required (again, unless ISP's go through-the-roof). The problem with propellant like KN/sugar are mainly in the modulus. The motor grain becomes the "case" if it is not free floating, and cracking occurs much easier. This of coarse destroys a motor.

nitro-genes - 29-8-2006 at 15:58

:D:D:D

Having read your post, I was so excited that I decided to try and determine if these meltcast compositions are sensitive to detonation without the addition of a dispersed crystaline HE. Having no NaN available at the moment, I decided to go with the 40% AN and 60% of UN/HDN composition that you mentioned...

To make things even more easy, I added urea and hexamin to the AN straight from the package, assuming UN and HDN would be formed during the meltcast operation anyway. Melting was done in a small teflon coated pan (great for pouring!) on a electric heater. The mixture started to melt around 110 deg. C, and was kept at a slightly higher temperature until no more evolution of ammonia was noticed. No smell of formaldehyde was noticed, which I have smelled occasionally when melting HDN. Upon cooling the mixture remained slighly waxy, probably due to the water present from the reaction...

I filled two 50 ml, 1 inch wide, plastic culture tubes with 35 ml of the meltcast. One tube was filled with the meltcast alone, the other with a few % microballoons added to the meltcast to give a reduced density of about 1,4 g/cc. The remaining 15 ml was filled with 20 grams of semtex as a booster. Both tubes were detonated against a 0.5 cm thick steel plate. No damage was visible to the steel plates, although the bang was harder than was to be expected from 20 grams of semtex alone, probaly due to some partial detonation...

Adding 5-10% of aluminium (carefull with this at these temperatures!) could boost sensitivity somewhat and the presence of the water may have reduced the sensitivity, but it is doubtfull you can achieve the full potential of these meltcasts at max density easily...

Their use as a 20-30% castable binder for PETN/RDX is very interesting though, and is put to the test very soon! Firing one of my standard shaped charges with this composition can give an indication of the C-J pressure produced and is on top of my list. One of the things that I noticed is that there is no"cracking" of these meltcasts during cooling which is perfect...

[Edited on 30-8-2006 by nitro-genes]

nitro-genes - 30-8-2006 at 07:16

Sorry about the double post, these eutectic mixtures are just very interesting. :)

Just finished reading the los alamos tech report about AN eutectics, and found some information...

Fisrt of all, it seems that directly adding the amine bases to the AN instead of dry fusing all the nitrates together influences the sensitivity and performance considerably. Plate dent tests reduced almost 50% for some of the compositions mentioned! Probably, like mentioned before, because of the reaction water which is difficult to eliminate from the meltcast. Unfortunately, the part about the direct or dry fusing process in the report is not scanned very well...:(

They also mention some compositions containing potassium nitrate. One of the things that strikes me is that even weight percentages of only 7% KN mean a 20% reduction of the VoD, probably due to the inert K+ ion.

You were thinking about replacing the NaN by some organic nitrate, have you thought about using methylamine nitrate? This would be one possible, completely OTC option left to try, although for oxygen balance the ratio's should be changed somewhat...

The critical diameter for the AN/EDDN eutectic is extremely high, more than 7 cm is mentioned. For the AN/ADNT eutectics this is 7 fold lower. This probably is why the charges made in the above post failed to detonate completely. Since it is very probable that most of these meltcasts have critical diameters in excess of 5 cm, adding a crystalline explosive having a much smaller critical diameter, like RDX or PETN is propably the only way of getting the critical diameter down to more reasonable figures. The report mentions these combined meltcasts with RDX to be completely stable though...

AN/ADNT has a VoD of 7800 m/s and performs equally to composition B in the plate dent test. AN/EDDN has a VoD of 6600 m/s and performance should be comparable with TNT. A meltcast composition using comparable organic nitrates , like UN, HDN, MAN, GN, without any inorganic nitrate should be no exception and would offer an extremely easy meltcast composition, comparable to TNT based meltcasts without painfull nitration reactions or the hazards involved with ETN meltcasts for example...

Corrosion of metal containers/liners and hygroscopicity are one of the few drawbacks though...

[Edited on 30-8-2006 by nitro-genes]

Rosco Bodine - 30-8-2006 at 08:50

Picric Acid is extremely soluble in nitromethane , IIRC
about 75% PA content of the solution at room temperature . This would likely be interesting if
poured onto ammonium perchlorate or ammonium nitrate
in a quantity appropriate to form an O balanced mixture .

A similarly interesting composition might be formed by prewarming a packed cannister of fine crystalline ammonium perchlorate or ammonium nitrate , and then
pouring onto it the molten eutectic of picric acid and
the dinitrated product of paradichlorobenzene moth crystals . The melt should wick into the spaces between
the warm crystals by capillary action , and then as everything slowly cools and solidifies , a sensitive and
dense solid composition should result . See attached
patent for melting point curve concerning this type picric
acid composition . I have done no experiments with
synthesis of the dinitrodichlorobenzene , which could also
possibly function as a sensitizer for usual kinepak AN
mixtures . It seems probable that this material could
be easily made via the solid nitrate and H2SO4 method
as is used for picric acid , and this has been reported
for the monochlorobenzenes , so it is likely possible
also for the dichlorobenzenes which should be even easier to nitrate and under even milder conditions
than for picric acid . Indeed the paradichlorobenzene
may be more easily nitrated all the way to its trinitro form than is the case for picric acid , I would have to check
the comparison of the effect of substituted groups like
chlorine on the difficulty of introducing nitro groups ,
but at first glance it would seem the difficulty for trinitration of paradichlorobenzene would be intermediate
with regards to phenol and resorcinol , for example a bit
more difficult than styphnic acid and a bit less difficult
than picric acid ....somewhere between the two . But
to achieve the lesser dinitration should be relatively easy , something similar or perhaps a bit easier than
dinitrotoluene . In fact dinitrotoluene is another possible
candidate for these sorts of eutectic or solution explosive fuels .

Extreme caution should be used concerning the smoke and vapors which are produced by explosives containing dintrodichlorobenzene , as a byproduct of such explosions
is highly toxic phosgene gas . Alternative mixtures not containing nitrated chlorobenzenes would not have this toxic
byproduct . Some mixture of picric acid with other materials
which could lower its melting point , nitrocresols , nitronaphthalene(s) , nitrotoluenes , nitroxylenes , could be safer in regards to toxicity .

These variations on the kinepak method of wetting the
crystalline oxidizer with an explosive fuel would likely
be cap sensitive , while still having good density like
the melt casts , and in smaller charges would likely
perform better .

[Edited on 30-8-2006 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: US1366048 Eutectic Picric Acid Composition.pdf (212kB)
This file has been downloaded 839 times

Nicodem - 30-8-2006 at 23:55

Quote:
It seems probable that this material [dinitrodichlorobenzene] could be easily made via the solid nitrate and H2SO4 method as is used for picric acid , and this has been reported for the monochlorobenzenes , so it is likely possible also for the dichlorobenzenes which should be even easier to nitrate and under even milder conditions than for picric acid . Indeed the paradichlorobenzene may be more easily nitrated all the way to its trinitro form than is the case for picric acid , I would have to check the comparison of the effect of substituted groups like chlorine on the difficulty of introducing nitro groups , but at first glance it would seem the difficulty for trinitration of paradichlorobenzene would be intermediate with regards to phenol and resorcinol , for example a bit more difficult than styphnic acid and a bit less difficult than picric acid ....somewhere between the two . But to achieve the lesser dinitration should be relatively easy , something similar or perhaps a bit easier than dinitrotoluene .

Actually, the Cl substituent on benzene directs electrophilic substitutions (like nitrations) by deactivation as opposed to -OH or -OR substituents that direct by strong activation. With -OH the very strong mesomeric electron donating effect (M+) prevails over the inductive electron withdrawing effect (I-). But unlike this, with the halogens, like Cl, the M+ effect is weaker than the stronger I- effect. The result is that the I- effect deactivates all positions, but the weaker M+ arising from the unshared electron pairs still manages to "de-deactivate" the ortho/para positions to some extent. Hence, the Cl substituents still directs to ortho/para, but those positions become less activated (chlorobenzene less reactive than benzene, as an example).
I don't know if I made this clear, but those interested can read more about it themselves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrophilic_aromatic_substitu...
http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/benzrx1.htm
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mwalter/web_05/year2/arom2/subst_effe...
http://employees.oneonta.edu/knauerbr/226lects/226_aromrxns_...

Anyway, the consequence of all this, is that p-dichlorobenzene is quite more difficult to dinitrate than toluene and much, much more difficult than the trinitration of phenol or resorcinol.
I think mononitration with a normal nitrating mixture (HNO3/H2SO4) should occur relatively easy, perhaps already at temperatures of 40-80°C. However since the so gained NO2 group strongly deactivates the aromatic ring for further nitration, dinitration would demand more extreme conditions. I would assume it should proceed with a satisfactory speed only at above 100°C. Stronger nitration mixtures would, of course, perform better and a lower temperature should do. At the end, only a literature search can give more details, or alternatively wasting time and material with several experiments.

Boomer - 31-8-2006 at 03:06

Not only did I *think* about using MAN, I already *tried* it. The same for GN. My notes are burried somewhere at home though, sorry.

Especially if combined MAN+GN lower the mp so much that alkali nitrates become redundant, whether they slow the mix down as much as 20% or not. I doubt this is generally the case, look at the VoD of EAK/NEAK.

I did not find NQ to be good at lowering mp below 120C, so did not test it in the mix. It is probably a sensitizer, being more sensitive and brisant than GN, but likely much less effective than RDX.

BTW what do you mean with ADNT? It can be amino-dinitro-toluene, or an ammonium salt of dinitro-triazole. Is that *the* LosAlamosTechnicalReport you speak of? I have one, but IIRC it has two parts, one by HE, the second by property, and both about pure HEs only, plus Comp-A/B/C + some PBXs. Did I overread it?

nitro-genes - 31-8-2006 at 04:32

I was mainly talking about :

Index part 4: LA-UR-81-917 Eutectic composite explosives containing ammonium nitrate

and

Index part 3: LA-9267 Investigation of the physical and explosives properties of the eutectic explosive ammonium nitrate/ammonium 3,5-dinitro 1,2,4-triazolate. (ADNT)

The first one contains some data about AN/EDDN and AN/EDDN/KN mixtures, like VoD's, detonation pressure and plate dent tests, the latter one is mainly about AN/ADNT, so not as interesting from a practical point of view...

[Edited on 31-8-2006 by nitro-genes]

Rosco Bodine - 31-8-2006 at 08:05

@Nicodem

What you are saying about the Chlorine substituent hindering substitution of nitro groups more than for
unsubstituted Hydrogen , contradicts the activity charted
for substituted groups in COPAE , so this could be another
typo like has been found in Urbanski and Fedoroff also for
many things . Many of these errors have turned up so if this is another one it would be no surprise . We should probably have a " literature corrections " section for the
edification and humiliation of the authors/proofreaders/publishers who are caught in indiscretion by the ruthless " peer review " found here in this forum .

I haven't tried nitrating these chlorinated benzenes to observe the effect of hinderance or promotion of nitration . These materials are very toxic and also irritants and personally I would favor experiments with the methyl substituted materials like toluene or xylene , which are toxic enough but easier to work with from a handling standpoint . Also the nitronaphthalenes are interesting .

Fedoroff has charted an Ammonium Nitrate - Calcium Nitrate eutectic 71:29 mp. 111C .

Sorbitol might be interesting as a non-explosive fuel
which could be soluble in such a melt . Ethylene glycol
is another possibility . Powdered charcoal could be helpful in such mixtures.

I would have to review the literature on this to be sure ,
but IIRC , there can be a further lowering of the mp of
such mixtures by inclusion of various other components .
IIRC , one of the schemes utilized addition of lime and sulfur to the melt , and other things like methylamine nitrates from the " formit " reaction of formaldehyde and ammonium nitrate . Other possible additives are glycine , urea , and urea nitrate . These compositions at cast density were not cap sensitive . Foamed casts or the granulated materials were cap sensitive .

It would seem likely however that if such low melting oxidizing explosive salt mixtures which were oxygen rich were then blended with a molten explosive fuel like
for example dintrotoluene , to form an emulsion of
the two melts , essentially a waterfree or very low water content emulsion , that cap sensitivity might be achieved
even at high density , as these emulsions approach the
intimate mixture condition of Sprengel type explosives .
Certain substances which might act as detonation catalysts or emulsifiers might need to be included to
achieve cap sensitivity . There are a few patents
concerning these type emulsion explosives . I can't recall
the specific one , but I do remember there was one emulsifier which was particularly efficient , so that only
a gentle stirring of the heated mixture together , hand mixing with a paddle resulted in an immediate emulsion ,
and no high shear mixing was required . But I think that
particular patent was a " low-water " content emulsion ,
not a " no-water " melt-in-fuel type of emulsion .

The thing that stood out about these type compositions is
that they were high velocity , hard rock blasting , more brisant explosives than usual ANFO , more like the
kinepak type compositions , but cheaper because they
contained no nitromethane . And they were cartridged
compositions ready for use , storage stable for years ,
some of them even waterproof to the extent of being
useful as submerged charges . And many of these
emulsion compositions are a plastic putty like consistency at ordinary temperature .

Anyway there are several things going on at once in these sorts of melts , where you can have varying sorts of miscibility of the phases at different temperatures ,
and how they solidify , and what is their stability on storage afterwards . Some mixtures are great for a few days storage , and then deteriorate rapidly . So what
is a really good mixture of this sort would be of great
commercial value to the mining industry , and has been the object of a lot of research over the years .

Nicodem - 4-9-2006 at 03:42

A bit off topic, but I stumbled into the attached paper while searching for some other ones and remembered this discussion about dinitrating “p-dichlorobenzene moth balls”. So I thought to attach it here in case it is of any importance to anybody. It describes the dinitrating procedure for all three dichlorobenzenes as well giving references to other papers on p-dichlorobenzene nitration.

J. Chem. Soc., Trans., 1904, 85, 865 – 870. DOI: 10.1039/CT9048500865
LXXXVIII.—The nitration products of the isomeric dichlorobenzenes.
Percival Hartley and Julius Berend Cohen

Attachment: The nitration products of the isomeric dichlorobenzenes.pdf (328kB)
This file has been downloaded 2757 times

Rosco Bodine - 4-9-2006 at 15:42

It seems pretty well confirmed now that the COPAE
charted effect of various substituents
on promoting or hindering nitrations is in error
with regards to the activity of chlorine .

Boomer - 14-9-2006 at 06:47

Better late than never, here some compositions. I did not test all of them, only the ones where temps are given:

Melt/Cast Compositions using Ammonium Nitrate as a melting component, as opposed to those where it is suspended as a solid in e.g. molten TNT.

No. / %AN / %HDN / %UN / %NaN / %KN / %MAN / %GN / %NQ / %RDX / PP / SP / MP / HP / OB

1 / 25 / 25 / 25 / 25 / - / - / - / - / - / 80 / 60 / 50 / 40 / -4.4
2 / 30 / 20 / 30 / 20 / - / - / - / - / - / 95 / 80 / 70 / 50 / -2
3 / 40 / 30 / 30 / - / - / - / - / - / - / 105 / 90 / 80 / 60 / -17
4 / 25 / 30 / 30 / 10 / - / - / - / - / - / 90 / 70 / 60 / 50 / -15
5 / 27.5 / 20 / 20 / 7.5 / - / - / 25 / - / - / 95 / 85 / 75 / 50 / -13
11 / 33.3 / 22.2 / 33.3 / 11.1 / - / - / - / - / - / 85 / 70 / 50 / 40 / -7.6
12 / 30 / 20 / 30 / 10 / - / - / - / - / 10 / 85 / 70 / 50 / 40 / -9
40 / 50 / 10 / 10 / 10 / - / 10 / - / - / 10 / ? / ? / ? / ? / +0.7
50 / 40 / 15 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 5 / - / - / 10 / 80 / 65 / 50 / <40 / -1.9
60 / 20 / 10 / 10 / 10 / 10 / 10 / 10 / 10 / 10 / ? / ? / ? / ? / -7
61 / 30 / 10 / 10 / 10 / - / 10 / 10 / 10 / 10 / ? / ? / ? / ? / -9
62 / 20 / 15 / 15 / - / - / 15 / 15 / 10 / 10 / ? / ? / ? / ? / -23
63 / 30 / 10 / 20 / - / - / 10 / 10 / 10 / 10 / ? / ? / ? / ? / -14
63 / 20 / 10 / 20 / - / - / 10 / 20 / 10 / 10 / ? / ? / ? / ? / -19

AN = ammonium nitrate, HDN = hexamin dinitrate, UN = urea nitrate, NaN = sodium nitrate, KN = potassium nitrate, MAN = methylamine nitrate, GN = guanidine nitrate, NQ = nitroguanidine, RDX should be clear ;-)

PP = pouring point, when the melt runs out in a stream at least pencil-thin.
SP = softening point, when it can be poured in 'blobs' (porridge consistency).
MP = moulding point, when it is still hand-mouldable, and can be spoon-loaded and dowel-pressed.
HP = hardening point, when it cannot be formed but breaks on bending.
OB = oxygen bilance for CO2 and water. Value for CO is consistently 10-13% better.

No mixture is a true eutectic, hence the broad temperature range for softening and melting. All form *some* eutectic melt on heating, in which the 'left over' particles are suspended. For this reason all salts must be finely ground if the low pouring temperatures will be made use of. On further heating, the mixtures will finally form a clear melt (apart from suspended RDX). This should be cooled rapidly to avoid formation of big crystals which lower sensitivity, and also to avoid settling of the first (non-eutectic) crystals that form. All detonation tests were done with charges press-loaded at temperatures between the' softening point' and 'moulding point' given above.

No.5 is the one that punched the hole in the pic. No12 did not det from 2g MHN in a 10mm column (metal pipe 1mm walls), but went high order in a 20mm column.

100g of No.50 are awaiting an SC test, while the 60ies are in preparation.

nitro-genes - 14-9-2006 at 16:26

Quote:
No mixture is a true eutectic, hence the broad temperature range for softening and melting. All form *some* eutectic melt on heating, in which the 'left over' particles are suspended. For this reason all salts must be finely ground if the low pouring temperatures will be made use of.On further heating, the mixtures will finally form a clear melt (apart from suspended RDX). This should be cooled rapidly to avoid formation of big crystals which lower sensitivity, and also to avoid settling of the first (non-eutectic) crystals that form.

Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Tried the first composition yesterday, this time with freshly prepared and completely dry crystals of UN and HDN. I was surprised it did not form a clear melt at 100 deg C., while as the direct fushion of urea and hexamin with AN did form a clear melt at this temperature. Water from the reaction is just another compound entering the eutectic probably, lowering the melting temperature even further...

The dry fushion of AN/HDN/UN/NaN yielded a very strong and amorphous, plastic like material, that could be bend only minimally at room temperature before breaking. No ammonia or formaldehyde smell or whatsoever.
Though I still doubt the storage ability somewhat. HDN is just such a bitch. drying or casting temperature a little too high, or small excess of NA in it's synthesis and soon you will be welcomed with the unpleasant smell of formaldehyde and the formation of methylamine, guanidine, ammonia, formic acid and god knows what more...

Is there no dissolution of RDX at all? Anyway, I'm glad to hear the critical diameter with only 10% of RDX is down to less than 2 cm. Do you still have that VoD measuring device btw? That would be pretty conclusive concerning it's potential, though not as much fun as a shaped charge of course! :D

Some ethylenediamine is on it's way, so EDDN is another possible nitrate that I will give a try...

Oh btw Boomer, if you are looking for a safe, cheap and powerfull rocketpropellant you should really read US patent 6055910.. According to the patent, the mixture is powerfull enough to make it into space! :o

[Edited on 15-9-2006 by nitro-genes]

Microtek - 15-9-2006 at 01:21

Quote:

Oh btw Boomer, if you are looking for a safe, cheap and powerfull rocketpropellant you should really read US patent 6055910.. According to the patent, the mixture is powerfull enough to make it into space!

What kind of deranged individual would apply for a patent about using your farts for rocket propellant ( or more accurately spud-gun propellant )?

nitro-genes - 15-9-2006 at 04:30

:D

Yeah, you must be a real loon to apply for such a patent, not to mention these patents aren't exactly cheap...

waxman - 18-9-2006 at 17:48

Rosco- Tried your AP/MEKP 50/50 mix. Appeared that the good, oily component sank to the bottom, opposite of my MEKP makings. Is this normal?
Sorry if slightly off-topic.

Rosco Bodine - 18-9-2006 at 18:23

Yes .

BTW , an uninvestigated possibility exists for a tertiary eutectic of TCAP / MEKP / toluene in which * hopefully *
the TCAP would greatly predominate , MEKP would be a
much lesser proportion , and then the toluene a
very small proportion . It might be interesting
to have a TCAP composition which could be melted
in a moderately warm water bath , if it would solidify uneventfully as a glass or a stable microcrystalline form , alone or in admixture with an oxidizing energetic salt ....
but such experiments would be inherently hazardous .

Anyway , it seems also possible that addition of a few percent of toluene could also allow for a liquid more heavily
loaded with dissolved TCAP . This is simply an idea which may or may not have any value , but could be worth looking at if you are experimenting with such mixtures .

[Edited on 19-9-2006 by Rosco Bodine]

Marsh - 18-9-2006 at 19:58

Quote:
...It might be interesting
to have a TCAP composition which could be melted
in moderately warm water , if it would solidify uneventfully
as a glass or a stable microcrystalline form , alone
or in admixture with an oxidizing energetic salt ....

Hmm, like AN+water and then evaporate the water?

I wouldn't want to play with that chunk when dry however...

Rosco Bodine - 18-9-2006 at 20:34

No , I am not saying to mix it with water , just relating
the expected low temperature for melting to what would be water bath temperatures . I'll edit the post to make it more clear what I meant .

quicksilver - 19-9-2006 at 07:06

CHLORATOTRIMERCURIACETALDEHYDE ?
A chlorate acetaldehyde :o
Has any heard of this being used commercially? There is some material from the USBoM and some material from the FTP.
Mercuric Nitrate / Sodium Chlorate solution (etoh) has acetylene passsed through it yielding a micro crystaline solid of high friction-impact sensitivity. Is reputed to initiate PETN. Appears to be simple and cheap. Must be either too sensitive or have no real shelf life....(?)

Marsh - 19-9-2006 at 14:15

Quote:
No , I am not saying to mix it with water , just relating
the expected low temperature for melting to what would be water bath temperatures . I'll edit the post to make it more clear what I meant .

Doh! Yeah I should've caught that myself, as you'd be left with a low density structure if water was used in it to evap. (My newbie-ness still shows greatly; give it time)

Is an interesting idea though, although it would be such a very hazardous solid when finished, without need for a detonatorof coarse. I bet quite brisant none-the-less.

[Edited on 19-9-2006 by Marsh]

Axt - 19-9-2006 at 18:35

Eh... this topic is very random.

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilver
CHLORATOTRIMERCURIACETALDEHYDE ?

You might be able to glean something from these articles, I dont think I've attached them before. Unfortunately the interesting ones are in german. Theres quite a range of explosive "mercarbides" capable of forming nitrate/chlorate/perchlorate salts.

Attachment: mercarbides.zip (2.5MB)
This file has been downloaded 576 times

quicksilver - 20-9-2006 at 06:18

Quote:
Originally posted by Axt
Eh... this topic is very random.
Theres quite a range of explosive "mercarbides" capable of forming nitrate/chlorate/perchlorate salts.

I know, I'm sorry. I just got some brain scatter. Thank you though, That was really new stuff.

Rosco Bodine - 13-10-2006 at 18:16

Semicarbazide perchlorate is something which I don't think has been mentioned and could be worth investigation . It is supposedly stable , high energy ,
and perfect oxygen balance .

quicksilver - 14-10-2006 at 05:21

Are there patents? A quick search of "semicarbazide perchlorate" got a 0 return from USPO (but that doesn't mean a thing to me, I got a "0" from a fuminate search due to dating aspects of the database). Where did you hear of this?

Rosco Bodine - 14-10-2006 at 07:20

Semicarbazide perchlorate is listed with a brief paragraph
in PATR . There is a patent related to its use as a burn rate modifier in solid propellant .

It just occurred to me that it should very likely also have explosive properties , although none are stated for it
in PATR .

It could probably be made via double decomposition of
a semicarbazide salt and a perchlorate salt . Since both
are entirely improvisable from mundane materials ....
this became even more interesting .

Boomer - 16-10-2006 at 08:45

(Also posted on APC, but as some here seemed interested in these mixes...)

Tried a 28mm SC with a cast mix of AN/HDN/UN/NaN/KN/GN/NQ (all the leftovers I had) plus just 10% RDX. Casing was 2.5mm wall steel pipe, 42 degree copper 0.8mm liner, standoff 1.5 CD. Using 100g explosve (plus 20g RDX-plastique booster), it went through approx. 50mm of steel.

The pic shows the first two plates (20+25mm). To the right is the entrance hole of the top plate, to the left the exit hole of the second plate. I did not bother to carry the last plate where it got stuck to work:

Cast-AN-SC.JPG - 94kB

quicksilver - 17-10-2006 at 06:39

Nice pics, interesting mix too! No reason for a wild "left over" mix like that to not proform well. What -were- those plates? They look lke old USGS markers or old weight plates from a gym :P
I know this is OT but with the Holidays around the corner, I had once found that old X-Mas decorations can make workable SC liners; as some of the ornaments for x-mas trees are glass, Al, etc. Sawed in half, they form workable SC shapes.

Boomer - 17-10-2006 at 08:13

Weight plates from the gym? No those holes were *not* there before! ;)

BTW I can go look up the mix, even though it was leftover stuff, all components were weighed. Oh and the liner was hand-rolled around a metal cone, using four layers of 0.2mm copper sheet and super glue.

nitro-genes - 17-10-2006 at 17:23

Hehe, that's funny....I have got exactly the same steel plates. There was a whole pile of these in all kinds of sizes at some scrapjard where we bought them. I think the holes in the sides are made to make sure they can't be used again...(for whatever purpose that me be)

If your charge was 28 mm in diameter, I assume you had quite a bit of subcalibration included for 100 grams of explosive? Or did you use a large head height? Too bad you didn't make a photo of the charge itself...:)

How did you fill the charge? Pourloading or pressing? Nevertheless, the potential of these eutectics is clearly quite high, especially at larger diameters...

Bert - 17-10-2006 at 21:25

The discs are the cutout scraps from an automated torch cutting machine. The "T" slot is where the torch makes a first perforation before beginning to cut out the programmed shape- It starts away from what will be the finished edge to keep any irregularities from the initial pierceing operation in the scrap piece.

Boomer - 18-10-2006 at 07:55

Thanks for explaining that, it makes sense indeed: They were from the scrap pile of a place specialised in cutting steel to shape. Unfortunatly they are down now. No more plates buhuuuu. :mad:

No subcalibration was used, and approx. 1.5 CD head height above the cone. Density was 1.5 so do the math yourself. It was melted in a hot (~80C) water bath, then spooned in and tamped down while cooling.

Oh and the comp was 93g of 40/15/15/10/5/5/10 AN/UN/HDN/NaN/KN/MAN/RDX (formula 50 from above) plus 5g GN + 2g NQ. The latter were added to see if the m.p. would drop further. In fact it could be hand moulded comfortably, and barely set hard at RT.

Rosco Bodine - 17-1-2007 at 18:28

Here's another interesting melt composition .

Attachment: DE1057514 AN + Ca(NO3)2 + Mg(NO3)2 eutectic + PETN + RDX cast composition.pdf (118kB)
This file has been downloaded 1163 times

nitro-genes - 18-1-2007 at 05:41

Interesting composition Rosco, though a larger quantity of anhydrous Mg(NO3)2 would be rather difficult to aquire, at least not by heating the hexahydrate. The patent explicitly mentions the anhydrate though as they write that the presence of any water reduces performance and the stability on storage...
Another composition that's a really interesting possibility is the eutectic composition of 50%/50% Ethylenedamine dinitrate/AN, forming a clear melt at 102 deg. C. with good oxygenbalance and less hygroscopicity. it is also less acidic than urea nitrate and more stable than hexamine dinitrate, mentioned in Boomers eutectic compositions, which can pose some stability problems on storage. Ethylene diamine is not very OTC though, although I have been able to aquire 250 ml's of it relatively easy...

[Edited on 18-1-2007 by nitro-genes]

Boomer - 19-1-2007 at 03:23

After a closer look, the patent mix contains PE, not PETN! It is added as a fuel and an organic flux.
25% RDX - no wonder it performs well, I used 10% only in the above test.

The second mix (that nitro-genes mentioned) is similar to EAK, but melts higher without the K-nitrate addition. With the abrevations EAK and NEAK existing, would this be called EA then?

And yes I plan to leave the HDN out, I assume it is the culprit for the stuff gassing while hot, and being springy/spongelike while it hardens (it tried to squeeze itself out of the casing, I had to put a clamp on until cool). While this gives small cavities to promote det transfer, it also lowers density. And you never get consistent charges if density depends on colling speed and the time it was molten.

quicksilver - 19-1-2007 at 07:03

I just made a trade for some perchloric acid (techgrade I assume @ 68%) which cost from my side about $30 a gallon....what's the going rate? Was that a fair deal as the trade material really was worth close to 30 dollars (high grade Ekheart Al).

Rosco Bodine - 19-1-2007 at 07:05

I have some indications and suspicions that possibly the only way of producing anhydrous Mg(NO3)2 is from direct union
of the metal itself and acid , under special conditions , or
some other strategy which involves the formation of the
anhydrous salt bound to or formed in parallel with another
salt . I have some more ideas and references on this
which I am posting in the other thread where salts are being
tested for usefulness in nitrolysis of HDN to RDX .

These eutectic or useful lowered melting point mixtures of nitrates have probably been charted somewhere in the literature and I think it is mentioned in the patent . We should try to accumulate a list of these mixtures which have
interest and possible usefulness . The matter of low melting
mixtures which involve dehydrating salt(s) which easily lose
their crystal water in combination and form an anhydrous double salt stable in a neutral condition , but will be split by a lowered pH as is present in a nitration mixture are of interest to me . I saw other eutectics reported while searching for any peculiar in that dehydrating characteristic and here is one .

80 NH4NO3 / 20 NaNO3 mp. 120C

And here is another

2 Ca(NO3)2 / 54 Mg(NO3)2 / 44 NaNO3 mp. 138C

See US1952849 concerning this tertiary eutectic .

[Edited on 19-1-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

nitro-genes - 19-1-2007 at 10:25

Quote:
The second mix (that nitro-genes mentioned) is similar to EAK, but melts higher without the K-nitrate addition. With the abrevations EAK and NEAK existing, would this be called EA then?

Yes, it was mentioned in some los alamos report, the abreviation they used was indeed EA. A slightly lower melting eutectic was also mentioned with addition of KN, though the VoD was significantly lower with a minor addition of KN compared to the composition without. Something like 6600m/s for EA and 5300m/s with addition of KN... Very strange...

I noticed the same thing for the compositions containing HDN btw. When you press the composition in it springs back to it's original position. When you tap the container you can hear by the sound that there is a lot of voidspace in there. I wonder if it could also have something to do with the high acidity of UN, making the HDN decompose at lower temperatures than it normally would...

[Edited on 19-1-2007 by nitro-genes]

Rosco Bodine - 19-1-2007 at 10:38

@nitrogenes & others fluent in German as my German is
*very* marginal and minimal :D ( as if that isn't obvious )

Please look at the reference for eutectics mentioned in that German patent posted above , which relates to E. Janecke , Zeitschrift fur Elektrochemie 1943 , Bd. 48 , S. 453 .

Is the context for that reference more general as to describe
a charting of many more eutectics than the one mentioned 51 Mg(NO3)2 / 49 NaNO3 ?

If it is a general charting of other nitrate mixture eutectics ,
I am thinking that we should get that chart :D for any further reference value it may have .

It seems likely that a bit of urea or glycine and perhaps some other things could be added to further reduce the mp.
of that nitrates mixture described in the German patent .
Perhaps with some added components a very good oxidizing
salts mixture for a melt in fuel type emulsion could evolve from this .

I am also very interested in these mixed nitrate systems
for their possible usefulness in nitrations , and also perhaps
usefulness for improved distillations of HNO3 .....even those
where sulfuric acid is also used . These mixed nitrates may
provide a way to add some finesse to already known reactions ....improving the yields while decreasing the
rigorous and sometimes even extreme conditions which
are otherwise required .

nitro-genes - 19-1-2007 at 12:37

The replacement of the coordinated water by the formation of a double salt is something I hadn't thought about, but seems logic indeed. If I understand it right, the PE is the fuel component that can also dissolve/emulsificate in the eutectic forming a solution of fuel in eutectic. This is very interesting, obviously a whole range of alcohols can be added as well, just like amines, because of their high polarity which makes them soluble. This brings interesting new probabilities, like adding glycerol, mannitol or even sugars, like glucose, sacharose or fructose (although these wouldn't be as resistant to heat, given their resonant aldehyde group) or even using sodium or potassium oleates as a fuel component in the eutectic...
In this respect it very much resembles emulsion explosives containing AN and some oil as the fuel, the more intimate contact between fuel and AN makes the VoD go up. When liquified there is an even more intimate mix, making the mixture behave like it was an ideal monomolecular explosive...

I would still like to see some VoD measurements though from these explosives, since I'm still convinced that a large percentage of inert cations like Ca, Mg or Na will have a reducing effect on the resulting VoD compared to compositions without. The patent stated performance better than TNT in leadblock expansion tests, though contained a relative large amount of RDX compared to some compositions mentioned in the los alamos works, just like Boomer said.

[Edited on 19-1-2007 by nitro-genes]

Rosco Bodine - 19-1-2007 at 13:02

Sorbitol might be a good addition .
Sulfur and/or Sulfides too .
Powdered charcoal/lampblack is another possibility .
Ammonium picrate would seem good too .

Ethylene glycol is known to be a solvent fuel
and sensitizing component which lowers the mp
even further of such mixtures , and flake aluminum
is a sensitizer and brisance enhancer .

It really is key to use the *mixed* alkaline earth
nitrates to " break the water of crystallization "
and provide a path to a eutectic of anhydrous salts
having a reasonably low mp which is not just
the nitrates melting in their own water of crystallization ,
but giving it up in preference for the double salt or
eutectic which is anhydrous .

And I think the *Basic* nitrates probably have value in this regard also , particularly in the case of the Magnesium nitrate . One thing I have thought about
is a possible usefulness of forming the Magnesium nitrate
in part from a reaction of the basic carbonate with
ammonium nitrate in a melt .....where the nascent CO2
evolution would foam and loosen the melt and the escaping CO2 would carry with it much of the water vapor also . Such a lowered density foamed composition might have easier pulverizing as it solidifies to the anhydrous mixed salt , while still hot , being crumbly
instead of setting up like a cooled glass as some melts
will be certain to do .

nitro-genes - 19-1-2007 at 15:25

I was thinking, reverse emulsion explosives are made by adding an oil with emulsifier dissolved in it to a liquid eutectic mixture of AN/SN/CN or AN/KN/H2O at melting temperature...
But what if you would add only the emulsifier as the fuel, like sodiumoleate, sorbitanoleate (a commonly used emulsifier for emulsion explosives) or sulfonated benzene detergents to make the mixture oxygenbalanced? Then add 10%-50% RDX or PETN to increase sensitivity and VoD and decrease critical diameter. These emulsifiers are commonly available as detergents for all kind of things, making a very cheap and storage stable high brisance explosive. Ethylene glycol and glycerol (higher boiling point) would also be very interesting fuel components...
I expect performance to be lower than EA, or EAK, but it would still be a very interesting possibility...

[Edit] Performance using glycerol would probably be less than using these detergents as half the mass of the glycerol is made up by the oxygen from the hydroxyl groups. Just like the inert cations like K+, Na+ etc, it would take up a lot of the energy from the shockwave, slowing it down. You would need to add about 6-7% of the detergent as a fuel compared to an estimated 15% for glycerol, so that would mean more than 7% inerts in your mix when using only ethylene glycol or glycerol as a fuel. I could however be useful for lowering the melting temperature of the initial eutectic just like water can do with only 2-3% added...

[Edited on 20-1-2007 by nitro-genes]

Rosco Bodine - 19-1-2007 at 16:55

Lanolin is the most common emulsifier that can also
function as the fuel . And a percentage of Ca(NO3)2
tends to act as a dispersant of sorts for other mixed salts , and facilitates the dispersion of sulfur and other materials as well .

There actually have been produced sensitive and powerful emulsions which are so effective at having an inherent tendency to form a stable and homogenous dispersion , that no more mixing is required than simply pouring the warm ingredients together in a bucket and
stirring by hand for a minute or two with a paddle .
The mixture self-emulsifies without any high shear mixing and then gels and sets up on cooling . The only cap sensitive composition which I have seen reporting this used a highly specific emulsifier which had been developed precisely for this use and it was a patented formulation . But there are probably small booster sensitive emulsions which are possible from OTC materials . And these are brisant explosives more powerful than TNT ....generally something like 75%
blasting gelatine in power but much safer , cheaper and easier to make . It is these emulsions which are used for hard rock blasting operations , mostly as a substitute for the original NG base dynamites . Some water gels
are probably equivalents also .

Rosco Bodine - 20-1-2007 at 06:01

This thread seems to be the proper place to continue to post any eutectics or other interesting mixtures of nitrates which are found reported in the literature .....
( even though the thread title is
*perchlorate compositions*:D )
it probably is a good sneaky way:P to shield the thread from
all the predictable and superfluous AN + fuel composition discussion which would miss the point concerning the unusual fusible and or reactive mixtures whose discussion has found a sanctuary here .

Anyway , here's another eutectic from Urbanski .

66.5 NH4NO3 / 21 NaNO3 / 12.5 KNO3 fp. 118.5C

And I found an old patent regarding the use of a carbonate
of an alkaline earth metal in reaction with a low water melt
of NH4NO3 , which concurrently produces the nitrate of the
alkaline earth by double decomposition , with the expulsion
of water lost to the evolution of byproduct ammonia and
CO2 at the heat of the reaction .....so that a crumbling product more easily broken up on stirring while cooling
is the result . This patent relates purely to the Calcium
salt .....but it may possibly also apply to the Magnesium
salt or a mixed dolomitic system as well .

[Edited on 20-1-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: GB383663 Carbonate of Alkaline earth reacted with AN to form granular product.pdf (168kB)
This file has been downloaded 706 times

Rosco Bodine - 20-1-2007 at 06:22

Zinc can form a diammine zinc nitrate from similar reaction if the temperature is limited , but at a bit higher temperature
the diammine zinc will lose its ammonia and the anhydrous nitrate will remain :D

This is of interest by itself ...but also in relation to Magnesium nitrate which is most difficult to be gotten in a low hydration condition ......since there is a combination
of Zinc and Magneium nitrates which forms a eutectic
that is more easily dehydrated .

The inference is that some concurrent and/or sequential reaction of the carbonates , basic carbonates and/or oxides
of both Zinc and Magnesium with a low water or anhydrous
eutectic melt which is largely NH4NO3 ....may result in a
nearly anhydrous mixture of the Zinc and Magnesium nitrates
which has the crumbly physical nature as would make it useful for being able to be added and dispersed as a
dehydrant in a nitration mixture . A minor percentage
of Calcium might be useful also in such a mixture , as could
some basic nitrates , which may not as tenaciously hold onto
any water in the mixture where they are formed , but would
be converted to the normal nitrate in a nitration mixture whereupon their dehydrating value would manifest .

Attachment: US5071630 Zinc diammine Nitrate.pdf (485kB)
This file has been downloaded 775 times

Boomer - 20-1-2007 at 07:25

The eutectics mentioned above, using only AN plus an (earth)alkali metal nitrate, all have melting points around 115-120C. To make it pourable without having it solidify instantly when it touches the container wall, you have to go approx. 20C above the mp, which gives 135-140C as the working temp.

Apart from having to use a stinky/messy oil bath instead of a water bath, these temps are too high for my taste to add any RDX, let alone a nitrate ester.

Using an emulsifier or flux as a fuel is something I did not think of before. Instead, I tried to get zero OB with nitrates only, namely organic nitrates which all have negative OB. In fact, all mixes I tried have slightly negative OB, between -2% and -15% mostly. This was partly caused by the use of HDN with its bad OB compared to e.g. UN. Since I want to get rid of it anyway, what more stable nitrates would you people think best, GN, EDDN... (I am not gonna use ALL together again, no way - it was just a test, plus a disposal of leftovers)?

BTW I tried AP, but it did not seem to work well. At least I had the impression it did not dissolve well below 110C, no surprise being a picrate, not a nitrate. Plus, it is incredibly messy, staining everything including the chemist yellow :P

Most inportantly, the compatibility with metals goes from bad (corrosion with very slow decomposition) to worse (possible generation of primary explosives in situ)! :o

[Edited on 20-1-2007 by Boomer]

DeAdFX - 20-1-2007 at 07:56

You could use nitrates of amino acid. Like glycine, creatine, agrinine and histdine. In my limited time of using glycine nitrate it did not seem to be overly hydroscopic[using NH4NO3 as a comparison]. I have not tried the other amino acids. Amino acids are a little more pricier in comparison to urea/hexamine/guanidine nitrate/ but are probably easier to acquire. All the listed amino acids except for glycine are going to throw off the OB of your current explosive eutectics into the far negative.

[Edited on 20-1-2007 by DeAdFX]

Rosco Bodine - 20-1-2007 at 08:02

To some extent you may view any of the eutectics
as intermediates to facilitate mixing with other
reactive materials whose reaction products result in
a different final composition .

For example suppose you are reacting other materials with ammonium nitrate which would be the most common means of producing a nitrate by double decomposition , using an oxide , hydroxide , carbonate ,
or basic carbonate of the alkaline earth desired to
be converted to its nitrate ......it can be useful to use
a lowered melting point mixture of what is predominately
ammonium nitrate , as opposed to pure ammonium nitrate and water .....if a more anhydrous product is
desired at the end .

A specific example would be the case of the Zinc diammine nitrate above .....which could likely be made
from the reaction of Zinc Oxide with the tertiary eutectic
of 66.5 NH4NO3 / 21 NaNO3 / 12.5 KNO3 fp. 118.5C being used as the source of NH4NO3 instead of a 95%
solution of the NH4NO3 in water . Not only could
the quaternary system resulting be anhydrous .....
but it could also have a much lowered melting point
than the unreated mixture of the four components ,
if you follow the logic which applies . So it is not
so much the importance of any specific eutectic ,
as is what may be the end result of utilizing that
eutectic as an intermediate in the process of forming
some product beyond that eutectic ......as could
even occur from a blending of two different eutectic systems . There are even possible supercooled melts
of different nitrates which will stubbornly remain liquid
at room temperature and will set up only after days
time , or upon seeding with crystals . These peculiar
systems are very interesting .

nitro-genes - 20-1-2007 at 09:14

Quote:
The eutectics mentioned above, using only AN plus an (earth)alkali metal nitrate, all have melting points around 115-120C. To make it pourable without having it solidify instantly when it touches the container wall, you have to go approx. 20C above the mp, which gives 135-140C as the working temp.

Apart from having to use a stinky/messy oil bath instead of a water bath, these temps are too high for my taste to add any RDX, let alone a nitrate ester

Yes, you are absolutely right, in order to make HE additions we should aim for melting temperatures of around 100 deg. C. at the maximum. For RDX this could possibly be 10 degrees higher...

In terms of the most easily prepared eutectic liquid base the following seems pretty interesting, as it melts around 100 deg C, probably even lower:

77% AN
15.5% KN
7.5% H2O

About 7% of emulsifier could be added as the fuel along with 20-60% finely powdered RDX or PETN to make the composition det sensitive...

The water could possibly be elimitated from the mixture using ethylene glycol or glycerol as the fuel, to form a composition something like this:

72% AN
14% KN or SN
14% glycerol or ethylene glycol fuel

[Edited on 20-1-2007 by nitro-genes]

Pages:  1