Sciencemadness Discussion Board

MEKP Problem/ Bad MEK?

Hawkguy - 10-6-2015 at 18:26

Alright. So recently I bought a bunch of Recochem MEK. However, my MEKP synthesese have been unsuccessful. My product has been a white powder that is collected after the the remaining MEK from the two day old Acid/ Peroxide solution is evaporated. What the heck is going wrong? My MEK has worked semi satisfactorily for most other projects...

Hawkguy - 10-6-2015 at 18:37

ADDITIONAL NOTES: The MEKP synthesese have been done at a range of temperatures so far, from -7 ish Celsius to plus 10...

PHILOU Zrealone - 11-6-2015 at 04:19

If your MEK, H2O2 and acid don't leave white residue appart of each other form evaporation...then the white stuff must be MEKP!

NedsHead - 11-6-2015 at 04:45

You're still having mekp troubles Hawkguy, have you looked up the msds for all your reagents?

You shouldn't be having so much difficulty with Such a simple synthesis, I also wouldn't have thought that recochem mek would be the issue.

Where is your hydrogen peroxide and acid from?

Edit: I found the msds for recochem MEK and at a glance it looks fine

[Edited on 11-6-2015 by NedsHead]

Attachment: 227478R2a.PDF (207kB)
This file has been downloaded 387 times

Hawkguy - 13-6-2015 at 20:05

The msds says that the stuff is 100%. The Hydrogen Peroxide is 7+%, from Oxygen Bleach, I think it was nature clean or 7th gen or something. My acid was from Muriatic Acid.

NedsHead - 13-6-2015 at 23:55

So your MEK is known, the muriatic acid is fine and can be replaced with sulphuric. The only unknown is the h2o2, I would be going down to the nearest hydroponic shop and buying a fresh bottle of high% hydrogen peroxide