Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Bottle Top FIlter Quick Question!

PinzProp - 1-6-2015 at 14:20

Im going to be buying some sterile bottle top filters this week and was just looking for some advice.

I need to filter 6 litres of grapeseed oil through the filter.

The particular bottle top filter im looking at says it is 500ml. Does this mean that the filter can only filter 500ml of liquid or does it mean that it can filter multiple batches of 500ml one after the other?

So to filter 6 litres of oil would i need to buy 12 bottle top filters 500ml or would 1 be ok?

Thanks

aga - 1-6-2015 at 14:45

Depends entirely how fast your oil flows through the filter.

If 500ml goes through in 1 minute, all's good.

If it takes an hour, then you've got 12 hours of filtering.

PinzProp - 1-6-2015 at 15:20

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Depends entirely how fast your oil flows through the filter.

If 500ml goes through in 1 minute, all's good.

If it takes an hour, then you've got 12 hours of filtering.

Thank you i have no problem filtering oil for 12 hours seriously lol. If i was using syringe filters it would take days,

So its no problem to use a 500ml filter multiple times to filter 6000ml of oil? just checking so i know how many filters to buy.

blogfast25 - 1-6-2015 at 15:45

Quote: Originally posted by PinzProp  

So its no problem to use a 500ml filter multiple times to filter 6000ml of oil? just checking so i know how many filters to buy.

Filtering oil without pressure or vacuum assistance is probably virtually impossible or at least ridiculously slow.

Experiment on a small scale to find out.

PinzProp - 1-6-2015 at 15:52

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Filtering oil without pressure or vacuum assistance is probably virtually impossible or at least ridiculously slow.

Experiment on a small scale to find out.

I planned to use a small hand held brake bleeder pump? Thanks

blogfast25 - 1-6-2015 at 16:04

Personally I think you're under-estimating viscosity. Experiment and see!

Filtration speed will depend primarily on filter porosity, viscosity, temperature (higher reduces viscosity) and pressure. Solids in the oil can of course clog the filter, reducing speed further.

[Edited on 2-6-2015 by blogfast25]

PinzProp - 1-6-2015 at 16:13

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Personally I think you're under-estimating viscosity. Experiment and see!

Wish i had time to experiment :( Got to have the oil filtered by this Friday and i haven't even ordered the gear to filter it with yet. I also dont really want to invest in bottle top filters and the pump if im going to need to get syringe filters!

Anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks

gatosgr - 2-6-2015 at 11:36

There are cheap small vacuum pumps on ebay just find an old tranformer (mobile charger or similar) to use as a power supply. Although I don't know if they're suitable for oil.

[Edited on 2-6-2015 by gatosgr]