Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Spider web chemistry

kecskesajt - 14-5-2015 at 00:19

Hi guys!
I have a cellar and and there is a room wich is used rarely.So it is full of spider/spider web.So I was thinking of decomposing it using NA to yield TNP.But there is 2 problems:
-The webs are stick 2gether making a stone hard ball.
-The spider webs are dirty.
Any suggestions?

j_sum1 - 14-5-2015 at 01:13

I would begin by washing with warm water snd detergent and see what happens.
Interesting project.

phlogiston - 14-5-2015 at 05:05

My first suggestion would be not to use acronyms in the first post.
I can only guess what you mean with NA and TNP.
If you really cannot be bothered to spell out words, perhaps the molecular formulae are a good alternative that avoids confusion.

kecskesajt - 14-5-2015 at 05:48

NA=Nitric Acid
TNP=TriNitroPhenol
So now Im go and wash some cobweb.

Hawkguy - 14-5-2015 at 06:17

Usually you wouldn't say NA as an acronym for Nitric Acid. I've only seen WFNA and RFNA as Nitric Acid acronyms before, both referring to a specific quality and purity. I feel like there would be like 900 easier ways to get Picric Acid, but go ahead.

Metacelsus - 14-5-2015 at 06:26

Spiderwebs aren't the best thing to nitrate if you want picric acid.

Hawkguy - 14-5-2015 at 06:43

What about using wood? I think I saw that on wikipedia

DraconicAcid - 14-5-2015 at 07:06

Wood? That's mostly cellulose, so you'd get nitrocellulose if you were lucky. The lignin might give picric acid, but I wouldn't expect a lot of it.

phlogiston - 14-5-2015 at 10:39

You nitrate everything you find?

Spider silk is made of proteins. If you are trying to obtain protein to nitrate, perhaps there are easier sources. Hair, milk powder, etc. (although the amino acid ratios will be different. Spider silk is unusually rich in alanine, glycine and proline.
The aromatic amino acids may perhaps yield some Xanthoproteic acid. I doubt you will be able to prepare any picric acid.

kecskesajt - 14-5-2015 at 23:37

Noooo man,I want to explore the science.I nitrated wood once but I got only red,nitrated woodmeal.Picric acid was first produced by recting HNO3 with silk,so why not cobweb :P