Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Amateur chemistry vs. "portable lifestyle"

OnRoadChem - 6-1-2015 at 08:54

Old contributor, new name here. Rambling introduction ahead.

Back when I was in high school, I became highly interested in amateur chemistry, despite my limited budget. I performed hundreds of experiments in the bedroom, basement, and garage of my parents' spacious mansion, often straining their patience with odors and spills. ;) I took over a thousand pictures and about two hundred videos, and created multiple presentations and e-journals. I was also a regular contributor on this forum.

I started college majoring in chemistry with high hopes, getting straight A's in all my courses. Gradually, my home experiments tapered off as I focused more on school. Then I ran into some, ahem, situations with faculty regarding unauthorized lab use, after which I confined myself to only school sanctioned experiments. Due to some course shuffling, I ended up graduating with an A.S. in Mathematics.

Spending a year at an expensive public university in the Northeast U.S. with an abysmal chem department left me flat broke and uninterested in chemistry as I worked lots of overtime the following year to pay off my debts.

Somewhere along the way, I became disillusioned with the urban college-to-career debt-laden "rat race". I skipped college this year to pay off my debts, packed everything I own in my SUV, moved out of my parents' house and decided to live a minimalist lifestyle. Which brings me to my original question, is amateur chemistry feasible when living a minimalist or semi-nomadic lifestyle? I don't particularly look forward to having toxic chemicals and on-going experiments stored in the back of my daily-driver SUV, even if I don't get stopped by the highway patrol. Right now I have been limiting myself to practical chemistry for my lifestyle. For example, an empty Sterno canister can be refilled with wood ashes and used to burn gas line antifreeze (99.9% methanol). The ashes prevent the methanol from spilling if the container is tipped, and the antifreeze costs 80% less than a new Sterno and burns cleanly.

Do any of you guys perform reactions in a non-climate controlled environment? I know many liquid-based reactions slow down drastically in below-freezing temps. Are outdoor labs feasible, with pets in the area? Reagents like HCl leak corrosive vapors, making them unsuitable for keeping in a confined space. What are the best inexpensive spill-proof containers useful for containing reactions on the go?

If I decide to begin an informal and unconventional study of chemistry, my entire setup must be inexpensive and compact. I am starting from nothing, so any ideas would help.

Thanks.

Loptr - 6-1-2015 at 09:23

I think this would not be a good idea. What happens if you get pulled over and a smell causes the officer to search your vehicle?

You also would likely not be on the right side of the law with transportation of some of the chemicals you would be storing. Also, not having a CDL and transportation certification might be an issue too. Don't forget the requirement of placards on the vehicle.

I would also think having chemicals and lab equipment in a vehicle is likely the quickest way to get a DEA team to check it out.

Your mileage may vary, though, literally.

[Edited on 6-1-2015 by Loptr]

[Edited on 6-1-2015 by Loptr]

Bert - 6-1-2015 at 09:35

Yep. Highway patrol will assume you're a migratory meth lab, hilarity will ensue.

A 1lb. metal coffee can, roll of toilet paper for absorbent/wick and a bottle of HEET is a classic sterno substitute-

Oh, and this: Minimum Viable Sociopathy

[Edited on 6-1-2015 by Bert]

macckone - 6-1-2015 at 15:26

Mobile lab = certain arrest if stopped

Having said that, you can certainly do experiments
on a campfire. Making calcium oxide, making potassium
hydroxide from potash and calcium hydroxide, making soap,
and probably others.

cyanureeves - 6-1-2015 at 16:29

not a good idea.cops know all about annie meth drying next to radiators or engine compartment,all the ammonia smell goes out into the hiway.i on the other hand have used our work boiler room to dry some sulfates but was always cautious of chlorides though.kmarts and walmarts or almost any big store have air exhaust vents blowing warm air out through huge ducts.i guess if you must you could use these places,i have seen homeless people sleeping next to them in the winter.KOA camprounds and state parks have power connections but they are patrolled.i believe once an amateur chemist,always a chemist.

j_sum1 - 6-1-2015 at 18:38

I would steer well clear of organic chem and anything that is hazardous to transport. That limits you a lot. If you had a well defined and easy to identify focus, say, copper chemistry, then it would be easier to explain to ahem interested parties. I would also keep quantities small.

Sounds like a bit of a project is just what you need to rekindle your enthusiasm.

Here's my thoughts off the top of my head...
Copper chemistry. Start with wire and go from there.
Pick some other transition metal.
Design, build and improve a highly portable Liquid nitrogen generator
Collect and analyse rocks and minerals on your road trip
Soaps
Essential oil extraction. Again you could chronicle your road trip by tracking down interesting species.

edit:
Keep a lab journal whatever you do. Helps you keep focussed in tasks. Good for explaining yourself if you ever need to. And if you do something that is ultimately useful then you will want documentation.

Don't forget the value of a couple of party tricks. Maybe the occasional CuO thermite by the campfire or a barking dog (substitute CS2 with boric acid/methanol was recommended here recently) or maybe just sometung to turn campfire flames copper blue or strontuim red. May as well share with others on the road.

[Edited on 7-1-2015 by j_sum1]