Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Would This Work: 2,2-dichlorobutane from MEK

subsecret - 29-12-2014 at 20:16

I intend to prepare 2,2-dichlorobutane from MEK and an excess of HCl, with a zinc chloride catalyst. I'm not sure if the second stage of the reaction is possible.

Here's the scheme:

First, HCl reacts with MEK to form 2-chlorobutan-2-ol.

Normally, with 2-butanol for example, the alcohol's O atom has enough electron density to do a nucleophilic attack on an HCl molecule, protonating the alcohol, which then leaves as water. Next, the chloride is able to attack the resulting secondary carbocation, in this case forming 2-chlorobutane.

This is where I'm stuck: In 2-chlorobutan-2-ol, the chlorine and the alcohol group share that #2 carbon, where the chlorine pulls electron density away from the alcohol. I'm not sure whether 2,2-dichlorobutane will be able to form, as I'm not sure that the alcohol will become protonated. I suspect that the reaction doesn't proceed this way, as I was unable to find the 2,2-dichlorobutane in several organic chemistry PDFs.

Any help is appreciated.

DraconicAcid - 29-12-2014 at 21:06

I doubt it. 2-chloro-2-butanol will spontaneously eliminate HCl to give butanone (MEK).

UC235 - 29-12-2014 at 21:53

No, this won't work at all. You need far more powerful chlorinating agents than Lucas reagent to make a ketone into a geminal dihalide. You'll only get acid catalyzed aldol condensations using these reaction conditions.

Instead you need to use a far more oxophilic chlorinating reagent. PCl5 will work, as will the product of chlorinating triphenylphosphine.

There's a chance that you might make treatment with benzotrichloride (or perchloropropylene) and a lewis acid work, but definetly don't quote me on that. It might still make a mess with an enolizable ketone.

[Edited on 30-12-2014 by UC235]

subsecret - 29-12-2014 at 23:21

Thanks for the input. I made the beginner mistake of getting excited about this before I figured out if it would work. :mad:

Wait, you're not UC

UC235 - 29-12-2014 at 23:40

Quote: Originally posted by Awesomeness  

Wait, you're not UC

Yes, I am. I got locked out of my normal account due to a password issue and am waiting for Polverone to get back to me about sorting it out.

subsecret - 30-12-2014 at 09:16

Sorry :D

CuReUS - 4-1-2015 at 09:50

what would you get if you did free radicle substitution of malonic acid with excess chlorine ?
would you get 2,2-dichloromalonic acid ?