Sciencemadness Discussion Board

How many moles of Aluminum are needed to reduce a mole of nitromethane in a Al/Hg reduction?

ewel - 30-11-2014 at 17:18

What is the needed amount of Al to reduce one mole of nitromethane? I've searched for some time using the search engine but the only information I could find was regarding the reductions of imines, nitropropenes or oximes. Is this equation correct?

2 Al + 4 H2O + CH3NO2 > CH3NH2 + 2 Al(OH)3

Also what would be the expected yield?

I want to procure some EtOH/MeNH2 solution by doing the reduction in a closed system and then decanting as much of the ethanol as possible. Knowing the yield I could roughly evaluate what is the concentration of it.

Mesa - 1-12-2014 at 05:42

If your reaction worked as written, what would be the purpose of the EtOH/IprOH/MeOH that is used in pretty much every text I can recall?

I do not believe the reaction will completely reduce(if at all) a nitroalkane in purely aqueous solutions.

phendrol - 1-12-2014 at 07:51

If you would read my whole post, you would know that I don't want to use water alone.

Bert - 1-12-2014 at 08:30

I understand that a trolling sock puppet master must have a hard time keeping his self organized, responding to a thread under the wrong persona/nick would be a CONSTANT danger...

Posted as phendrol
Quote:

If you would read my whole post, you would know that I don't want to use water alone.

Posted as ewel
Quote:
What is the needed amount of Al to reduce one mole of nitromethane? I've searched for some time using the search engine but the only information I could find was regarding the reductions of imines, nitropropenes or oximes. Is this equation correct?

2 Al + 4 H2O + CH3NO2 > CH3NH2 + 2 Al(OH)3

Also what would be the expected yield?

I want to procure some EtOH/MeNH2 solution by doing the reduction in a closed system and then decanting as much of the ethanol as possible. Knowing the yield I could roughly evaluate what is the concentration of it.