Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Barium Peroxide -> Hydrogen Peroxide

Hawkguy - 30-10-2014 at 17:33

Decided to make Barium Peroxide. First I'll just make the oxide, and heat to 550 degrees, to create the peroxide.
Its about this step I want to hear from people who've done this before?
( Do I need to worry about oxidizing a crucible if metal? / Anything else.)
After that it all seems chill enough, add 30ml 50% Sulphuric Acid to 40g of the Barium Peroxide, get Hydrogen Peroxide by filtering out Barium Sulphate. But yeah, feedback would be kinda great (please).

WGTR - 30-10-2014 at 17:47

How do you plan on making barium oxide?

macckone - 30-10-2014 at 18:57

Quote: Originally posted by WGTR  
How do you plan on making barium oxide?

Heat barium carbonate or barium sulfate.
If you do sulfate then you capture the sulfur dioxide
And make sulfuric acid.

Bert - 30-10-2014 at 20:21

Quote: Originally posted by Hawkguy  
Decided to make Barium Peroxide

Which begs the question, what is your purpose for that chemical?

If you want to make green tracer composition or fireworks stars, more power to you. Where will you source your Magnesium or magnallium powder?

If you want to make -OTHER- things that require strong peroxides, have you heard of carbamide peroxide and sodium peroxide... Or of the various concentration methods that require some time be spent with freezer or microwave oven and common over-the-counter Hydrogen peroxide solutions.

Just asking. You would learn valuable skills in manipulating equipment/conducting reactions and processes either way. And the concept that you live in a glass house by asking any such questions on line by reading this reply.:P

[Edited on 31-10-2014 by Bert]

macckone - 30-10-2014 at 21:42

Note on recycling barium sulfate, an easier method is to convert barium sulfate to carbonate with sodium carbonate. You don't get sulfur dioxide out, but you don't have to heat to extreme temps. Decomposition of barium carbonate still takes very high temps.

Metacelsus - 31-10-2014 at 07:57

How do you go from sulfate to carbonate? The sulfate is also insoluble.

S.C. Wack - 31-10-2014 at 11:58

Quote: Originally posted by Cheddite Cheese  
How do you go from sulfate to carbonate? The sulfate is also insoluble.

Boiling with a bunch of carbonate for an hour or two. Baking soda would be fine with slightly longer time.

I've done the whole thing, learning that hot and heavy Ba dusts are easily inhaled when stirring, and cheap BaCO3 of commerce is sometimes considerably BaS, easily detected by adding acid and dying. And it's the worst way possible to obtain H2O2.

[Edited on 31-10-2014 by S.C. Wack]