Sciencemadness Discussion Board

I use lithium-ion polymers in electrochemical cells

tumadre - 1-6-2005 at 13:36

Did you ever wonder why lithium-ion batterys are called lithium-ion polymer batterys? The answer is because they have a polymer that allows ions to go through this thin plastic. It is relativly easy to cut the outside of a lithium battery off and unroll the four layers (two polymer layers, anode, cathode.

The only problem is cleaning the plastic, any remaining material can be removed with a temporary electrocem. cell using salt water etc.

Now where to get the lithium-ion polymer battery, by definition these batterys are rechargable, you can ask your friends for their dead laptop batterys; each laptop battery (normaly 8 or 12 cells) has about 4 feet by 2.25 inches of this stuff per cell.
Has anyone tried this?

vulture - 2-6-2005 at 10:59

If I understand you correctly, you're salvaging the polymer from lithium-polymer batteries to use it as an ion-selective membrane, right? Clever.

You might want to salvage the electrolyte too, as there might be some interesting solvents/ions in there.

Pyridinium - 2-6-2005 at 17:48

Any idea what ions besides Li+ the membrane will or won't pass?

I wonder if somebody could design a few experiments around this, to see what does and doesn't go thru it.

neutrino - 3-6-2005 at 03:08

It would probably be best to ask the manufacturer of the membrane.

Pyridinium - 3-6-2005 at 10:17

Quote:
Originally posted by neutrino
It would probably be best to ask the manufacturer of the membrane.

Bah! Experiments are more fun. :D