Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Solutions you keep bottled and ready

DrMario - 27-9-2014 at 10:44

Which solutions do you keep bottled, pre-prepared for action?
Mine are NaOH 1M and 0.1M, phenolphtaleine, EDTA-Na2, citric acid and methylene blue.

This doesn't include the usual suspects (HCl, HNO3, NH4OH etc.)

Mailinmypocket - 27-9-2014 at 11:14

Here is a nice link for solutions and reagents

http://www.flinnsci.com/media/396156/labsolutionprep.pdf

Texium - 27-9-2014 at 11:19

I also keep NaOH and phenolphthalein, and currently I've been keeping some K2MnO4 solution because I've been researching it lately, although it's not something that I'd have normally. Normally I have NaHCO3 solution in a wash bottle for neutralizing acid spills, but I used it all up recently. I need to mix up some more.
And of course, the usual suspects that you mentioned, except not HNO3, because I don't have any. I really need to get some one of these days.

DrMario - 27-9-2014 at 11:38

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I also keep NaOH and phenolphthalein, and currently I've been keeping some K2MnO4 solution because I've been researching it lately, although it's not something that I'd have normally. Normally I have NaHCO3 solution in a wash bottle for neutralizing acid spills, but I used it all up recently. I need to mix up some more.
And of course, the usual suspects that you mentioned, except not HNO3, because I don't have any. I really need to get some one of these days.

Oh, shoot, I forgot and you reminded me with the K2MnO4: I also have a solution of K2Cr2O7.
I use my citric acid solution for neutralizing possible alkaline spills.