Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Nitrotoluene question

organicchemist25 - 27-7-2014 at 12:31

I attempted making nitrotoluene last night. I have a question. Is there supposed to be a dark top layer? The procedure mentions nothing of it, in fact, it says two separate yellow layers. If, it is not likely, what might I have?

I freshly made nitric acid (conc H2SO4 and KNO3) the night before. It is concentrated. It always has the highlighter yellow tint when I make it. It reacts strongly with Cu. I actually need to add a couple drops of water to initiate the reaction. I also boiled down approx 40% battery acid from the auto store until the H2SO4 is thick and smoking thick white smoke, so I know that is about as concentrated as I can get.

I even freshly distilled my toluene over a small piece of sodium.

Any ideas?

Oh, and, the reaction (i had in crushed ice bath with copious amounts of NaCl) and the temp NEVER went above 7-8 C. I expected some exothermic activity. The thermometer never even increased as I added about 2-3 ml every minute or so. I kept a good eye on the temp. no increase in temp during the entire reaction.

I could notice that it was changing color as the reaction progressed. The initial solution was pretty clear. I could see the stir bar and vortex for a while. After no temp increase for some hours, i felt it was safe to go to bed. I left it stirring all night. This morning it has a dark, distinct layer.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

nitrotoluene1.jpg - 1.4MB nitrotoluene2.jpg - 1MB nitrotoluene3.jpg - 1.1MB

[Edited on 27-7-2014 by organicchemist25]

Mailinmypocket - 27-7-2014 at 12:37

Have you had a read over Magpies very nice write up on this?

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=29111

Might be helpful visually

organicchemist25 - 27-7-2014 at 13:04

No, I had not. Thank you and thanks for supplying the link, as well!

S.C. Wack - 27-7-2014 at 14:38

Dilute NaOH washes. Nitrotoluene is never run cold AFAIK, sounds like you might be using some weird directions.

Chemosynthesis - 28-7-2014 at 02:16

^ Always best to cite your procedures, as required when publishing peer-reviewed literature, for help.

It helps us understand any methodological flaws and optimize your procedure.

organicchemist25 - 28-7-2014 at 07:04

Will do, from here on out. Definitely doing Magpies write-up.

Thank you for all the replies