Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Attracted by Magnetics

aga - 25-6-2014 at 11:32

I was wondering, are there any FeCl2/FeCl3 reactions that can go one of two (or more) ways depending on factors such as pH, temperature, presence of a catalyst ?

It would be preferable to be able to positively identify which pathway the reaction took by having easily distinguishable products.

Inorganic if possible.

It's an alternative view of the subatomic mechanisms that i would like to test, and the Fe ion springs to mind as a test candidate.

If not FeClx, then something else a noob (me) may have available.

Brain&Force - 25-6-2014 at 11:38

Are you talking about the production of magnetite, Fe3O4?

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking about, but reactions can go MANY, MANY different ways depending on the pH, temperature, presence of a catalyst, and the voltage potential of the solution.

aga - 25-6-2014 at 11:52

What i'm looking for is a reaction that WILL go in a particular direction due to envrionment, in a predictable way, and WILL go in a different direction if the reaction environment changes.

Suggesting Fe reactions is just due to a gut feeling.
Maybe other reactions will also be suitable.

Basically the Product Must end up predominately as X if environment is A, and ends up as Y if environment is not A.

Clearly the reactants need to be the same at the start, and 'environment' variation cannot involve 'add neutron radiation direct from a star'

[Edited on 25-6-2014 by aga]

No, not trying to produce any particular product.

Doesn't matter what the products are so long as they can be shown to be different, and i can physically survive that difference !

[Edited on 25-6-2014 by aga]