Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Fe Mesh question

organicchemist25 - 18-5-2014 at 14:36

I have been searching for Fe in 100 Mesh size with good purity. It has not been as easy as I anticipated. My question is, if I get 50 Mesh will that still be ok? Its smaller than 100 Mesh, so I am thinking it could still work fine, being it would pass through the 100 Mesh screen anyway. I am not sure, though. I want to order the 50 Mesh, but not if I will not get similar or identical results, as with 100 Mesh Fe.

BromicAcid - 18-5-2014 at 15:54

Actually, 50 mesh iron powder would be larger than 100 mesh iron powder. Likely this would result in slower reactivity vs the smaller particle size.

Zyklon-A - 18-5-2014 at 19:22

What part of this belongs in Organic chemistry?

Texium - 18-5-2014 at 19:31

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
What part of this belongs in Organic chemistry?

I was wondering the same thing. Unless there was to be some mention in the first post regarding how it relates to organic chem, it could really go in reagents or miscellaneous.

Quote:

I have been searching for Fe in 100 Mesh size with good purity. It has not been as easy as I anticipated. My question is, if I get 50 Mesh will that still be ok? Its smaller than 100 Mesh, so I am thinking it could still work fine, being it would pass through the 100 Mesh screen anyway. I am not sure, though. I want to order the 50 Mesh, but not if I will not get similar or identical results, as with 100 Mesh Fe.

Also, whatever you are using it for really determines whether or not the larger Fe powder will be acceptable for your use. Make sure to include details regarding that.

chemrox - 19-5-2014 at 16:34

Reductions using ultra-fine Fe and acid. Sounds like that might be where he was going. Don't be so hasty to attack.

BromicAcid - 19-5-2014 at 16:45

Or could be insitu generated ferric halide for Friedel Crafts acylation or insitu catalyst for brominations. There are others as well, but the question itself without support is not an organic chemistry question.

Texium - 22-5-2014 at 15:26

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
Reductions using ultra-fine Fe and acid. Sounds like that might be where he was going. Don't be so hasty to attack.

Not attacking. Just pointing out that the OP makes no mention of what the iron was to be used for, when that information would be quite useful to have instead of having to guess.