Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Is auto-condensation a risk in preparing nitroalkane enolates?

Electra - 15-4-2014 at 23:02

Specifically with longer chain nitroalkanes, 1 (and 2) nitropropane, 1-nitrobutane, 2-nitrobutane, etc.

I found that nitroethane reacts to form nitronate salts, but what exactly is formed is not specified. Condensation products? I found another link elsewhere that specified the synthesis of Eph that involved preparing two solutions, one of which was Nitroethane + NaOH, and then combining the solutions, implying the auto condensation does not occur? Why is this?
http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_0035/...

I've never heard of this being an issue with mild deprotonating agents such as amines, but is there a risk of irreversible self-condensation when using NaOH to prepare these enolates? I could imagine the two deprotonated hydrogen coming up and reacting with the OH- anion to form water, leaving Na+ in the solution with the newly condensed dinitro compound.... but I am not sure if the properties of Nitroalkanes can allow for this due to the strong electron withdrawing effects. I have also read of people preparing such nitronate salts but haven't found much on if any special procedure is to be used.

I have found instances of NaOH being used in Nitroaldol reactions in very low ratios (0.025m) with a PTC. I always assumed NaOH wasn't used because in condensations with aldehydes the NaOH is returned to the solution which leaves it able to induce an over condensation of the product. I am more interested in preparing the nitronate salt for temporary storage and usage in other reactions that won't return the NaOH back to solution.

If the nitronate salt cannot be isolated, then keeping it in the solution is an option, though I need to be aware of whether or not condensation of the enolate with a free nitroalkane is possible, or how it might be avoided.

[Edited on 16-4-2014 by Electra]

[Edited on 16-4-2014 by Electra]

Nicodem - 16-4-2014 at 08:29

Quote: Originally posted by Electra  
If the nitronate salt cannot be isolated, then keeping it in the solution is an option, though I need to be aware of whether or not condensation of the enolate with a free nitroalkane is possible, or how it might be avoided.

What enolate? The deprotonation of the nitroalkanes gives the corresponding nitronate anions. None of the nitroalkanes that you listed contains any carbonyl groups, hence they cannot form any enolates, so no self-condensation is possible.

Electra - 16-4-2014 at 10:19

Sorry for mixing up the terminology. I for some reason was considering any deprotonated active hydrogen compound an enolate. I suppose nitronate is etymologically more correct.

I was wondering because the nitronate anion can effectively as a nucleophile, and the nitroalkane by itself can act as an electrophile.

I did some further reading and it seems the condensation is possible, but it seems to not happen very easily, and seems to require much heating. It would seem that most nucleophilic addition/substitution reactions that use deprotonated nitroalkanes happen exponentially faster than any potential self-condensation.

Nitromethane on the other hand seems to be an exception, reacting with itself very quickly, as some users here have reported.