Sciencemadness Discussion Board

metal powders?

nannah - 8-4-2014 at 12:53

Hi, i wanted to just ask if you guys have some idea where you can buy metal powders?
I donĀ“t need large quantities.

Thanks in advance. /Nannah.

gdflp - 8-4-2014 at 12:57

What kind of metal? Metals like magnesium and aluminum can easily be bought in small quantities(a few ounces to a pound) from eBay in powdered form.

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by gdflp]

Zyklon-A - 8-4-2014 at 16:20

I wouldn't buy from eBay, although it is possible, you might get a knock on your front door. Buy from Skylighter or some similar site.

gdflp - 8-4-2014 at 16:25

Really??? Even a few ounces. I didn't think magnesium and aluminum were too bad. How else are you supposed to make thermite? :D

Zyklon-A - 8-4-2014 at 16:58

You might get a knock on your door. Probably not, but why take the risk? Skylighter is pretty cheap.

zed - 8-4-2014 at 17:31

Build a simple machine, and ball mill your own. Sponenberg (Sp?) provides details in his book.
Seems to me, it is available, free, somewhere online.

Otherwise, there is restricted access to large quantities of certain powdered metals, and smaller mesh sizes are a definite no-no. Even here in the U.S., where pyrotechnic materials are pretty widely available, we've got rules.

nannah - 10-4-2014 at 14:35

Im looking for somewhere or someone that offers small quantities of all the metals. Mg, Ni, Al, Co, Fe, Zn, Hg and all the other elements are of interest in the future im sure. :)

Metacelsus - 10-4-2014 at 18:04

Hg powder might be hard to find ;).

nannah - 11-4-2014 at 05:02

Haha. Yeah, you got me there. :)

but i Think u get what i mean.