Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Zinc reduction power

HgDinis25 - 20-3-2014 at 12:54

Apart from the general displacement reactions, wich can be consulted in a reactivity series, are there any more interesting zinc reductions?
For instance, are there any conditions that allow zinc to reduce Silicon Dioxide, to produce elemental Silicon?
What about other exotic reductions?

blogfast25 - 20-3-2014 at 13:41

Quote: Originally posted by HgDinis25  
Apart from the general displacement reactions, wich can be consulted in a reactivity series, are there any more interesting zinc reductions?
For instance, are there any conditions that allow zinc to reduce Silicon Dioxide, to produce elemental Silicon?
What about other exotic reductions?

SiO2 + 2 Zn === > Si + 2 ZnO is not thermodynamically favourable by a long shot, ΔH (standard) = + 200 kJ/mol.

Check the 'chromium compounds' thread for the reduction of Cr(III) to Cr(II) (even though it didn't really work for me).

Possibly also reduction of various V oxidation states to lower ones.

[Edited on 20-3-2014 by blogfast25]

HgDinis25 - 20-3-2014 at 13:46

Yes I've been reading the chromium topic for the last few days, nothing wokable for zinc I guess. I am also aware of the Vanadium recudtion generating different colours (according to the different states of oxidation of V).
I was really hopping that the silicon isolation could work. Did you calculate the enthalpy using the Si - O bond, as a double covalent bound?

DraconicAcid - 20-3-2014 at 13:50

Yes I've been reading the chromium topic for the last few days, nothing wokable for zinc I guess. I am also aware of the Vanadium recudtion generating different colours (according to the different states of oxidation of V).
I was really hopping that the silicon isolation could work. Did you calculate the enthalpy using the Si - O bond, as a double covalent bound?

Silicon dioxide does not contain double bonds; only single ones.

blogfast25 - 20-3-2014 at 13:53

No, no, the reduction of Cr III to Cr II is possible with zinc (see the link in that thread) but it isn't easy.

Calculate the enthalpies (or better free energies) from tabulated values for the reagents and reaction products using Hess' Law.

NIST webbook is a great online resource for tabulated values of ΔH<sub>formation</sub>. Also, CRC Handbook, for ΔH, ΔG and entropies of a large number of compounds.

Starting from bond energies for reaction enthalpies is tedious and only approximate.

SiO2 is a network type polymer, it contains no double bonds.

[Edited on 20-3-2014 by blogfast25]

HgDinis25 - 20-3-2014 at 14:09

Yes, you're right I was completly wrong about the double bonds, it makes a network with only single bonds (I actually went check the structure of the polymer xD).
Anyway, any more interesting reductions with zinc? I am mainly aiming at isolating some elements, and I'm out of interesting ideas at the moment.

blogfast25 - 21-3-2014 at 05:25

Anyway, any more interesting reductions with zinc? I am mainly aiming at isolating some elements, and I'm out of interesting ideas at the moment.

Your best bet remains aluminothermic reductions. Ni, Co, V, Nb, Si, Ti for instance are all feasible. Zinc has far too low heat of formation to be of much use in pyrometallurgy.

HgDinis25 - 21-3-2014 at 12:10

What about using Zinc powder to displace least active metals from their solutions? It's a good way to isolate a few elements.
Anyway, can I assume that all rare earth metals can be displaced by zinc powder?

blogfast25 - 21-3-2014 at 13:16

Anyway, can I assume that all rare earth metals can be displaced by zinc powder?

You are assuming very wrongly. For instance for:

La<sup>3+</sup> + 3 e == > La, Ered = - 2.379 V

And for: Zn == > Zn<sup>2+</sup> + 2 e, Eox = + 0.7618 V

Ered + Eox << 0, so the reaction cannot proceed (ΔG > 0)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_electrode_potential_(data_page)

The REs are very electropositive elements. Mainly electrolysis (of molten chlorides) is used for their preparation. Aluminothermy e.g. doesn't work at all for these elements.

Zn can reduce a few metals in solution, those for which Ered is no smaller than - 0.7618 V. That's a few but not that many.

[Edited on 21-3-2014 by blogfast25]