Sciencemadness Discussion Board

pressurized gas STORAGE

jimwig - 16-11-2004 at 07:56

this has long been a topic of interest on an OTC level.

what do you think about this idea.

using a kipp type gas generator and routing the product gas into an inflatable storage device such as a suitable balloon etc would not the back pressure thus created stop ie control the intial gas generation?

then as the gas is depleted from the inflatable and the pressure drop - the kipp generator would respond and produce more gas thus raising the storage pressure and so forth.

granted the pressure would be low but there would be the posssibility of storage and tweaking the generator would perhaps result in greater possible pressures.

http://mattson.creighton.edu/History_Gas_Chemistry/Kipps.htm...

there are several adaptations in Journal of Chemical Education.

gottta go for now.

Organikum - 16-11-2004 at 11:44

Thats exactly how a KippsĀ“s gasgenerator works, it produces gas up to a certain pressure which depends on the height of the inlet tube/acid reservoir. You would need a fairly long tube to get significant pressure or to fill a balloon.
And a balloon isnt needed - the Kipp does the job alone.

I wouldnt tweak a Kipp though, at least not for unhealthy gases like Cl2 or H2S.

JohnWW - 16-11-2004 at 14:21

What sort of gas are you talking about? Their storage requirements vary very widely.

Storage of very small amounts of gases with very low boiling-points for immediate use, like acetylene and oxygen for gas-welding, argon for arc-welding reactive metals which would form oxides or nitrides in air, CNG and hydrogen for use in CNG- or hydrogen-powered vehicles, helium for balloons, and nitrous oxide for surgery, is usual in the gas phase in capped cylindrical pressure vessels. But storage of gases on a large industrial scale is usually in liquefied form wherever it is practical to liquefy them, because of the much smaller vessels required. Such reasonably easily liquefiable gases include liquid petroleum gas (LPG, mainly propane and butane), liquefied natural gas (LNG, mostly methane, which requires substantially greater pressures and lower temperatures, spherical tanks usually being used), and carbon dioxide for fire extinguishers and refrigeration and chemical processes.

jimwig - 12-1-2005 at 13:45

i was speaking of any non-OTC or noticible type gases. ie watched gases

nitrogen and other inert atmosphere gases

organikum- my ref above should have said a quantity of gas sufficient to sustain reaction conditions in an "unmonitored experiment" particularly the inert atmosphere genre.

or a situation where the pressure etc would be more than a Kipp's alone could supply. meaning both the volume and pressure.

this is all just conjecture as I have not done any of this type of work before. just researching the condition, equip, etc that would be necessary if an actual experiment were undertaken.