Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Benzoin condensation with thiamine

Random - 4-1-2014 at 17:02

I read on wikipedia page of thiamine that it can be used instead of sodium cyanide. Might be useful info for those who want to avoid cyanide.

bfesser - 4-1-2014 at 17:11

Please don't open more zero-effort topics like this. Suggest something new, provide a resource with a link or a quote, or ask a question.

[Edited on 5.1.14 by bfesser]

UnintentionalChaos - 4-1-2014 at 17:30

Yes. It's a well known procedure used for teaching purposes in undergrad organic labs. You could have posted a link to an undergrad lab procedure for this specific reaction or a published source of the procedure. J chem ed probably has one, or you could have posted it into a thread about the benzoin condensation (Im sure we have a few...I know there is a prepub writeup).

This type of post does nothing but clog up the forum and make searching for useful posts more difficult. Only the few people who bother to click it before it vanishes will get the message, and many probably already know of it.

I am under the impression that the yields with thiamine catalysis are poorer and the reaction slower than with cyanide. Are any other catalysts known, because benzoin and benzil are useful intermediates for home chemistry projects (like tetraphenylcyclopentadienone and lophine).

[Edited on 1-5-14 by UnintentionalChaos]