Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Canada - home chemistry laws

alexleyenda - 18-12-2013 at 22:52

Hi,
After I saw all these stories of police raids on the forum I wanted to know more about the laws in Canada but I didn't manage to find anything so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the legality of home chemistry in Canada.

All I know is some chemicals are impossible to find. KMnO4 is banned and they wanted to remove the nitrates so bad even cold packs with ammonium nitrate are impossible to find. But is it illegal to make them? I have no idea.

If anyone have any information, I would like to know.

plante1999 - 19-12-2013 at 04:08

Home chemistry is not illegal, but you must know it is not really well seen. Theses chemicals are regulated, I looked for them too ha ha, it is a requiring question from canadian members.

KMnO4 can be baugth on ebay from poland.

You can buy nitrate from people living in the country side, contact me for more detail.

They are not illegal to posses or make, but in theory the authority should know it. That is where our hobby often come stichy.

bfesser - 19-12-2013 at 05:58

There's already quite a wealth of information on the fora regarding the practice of amateur chemistry in Canada, if you take a moment to <a href="search.php?token=&srchtxt=canada&srchfield=subject&srchuname=&f%5B%5D=all&srchfrom=0&filter_distinct=yes&searchsubmi t=Search">search for it</a>.

alexleyenda - 19-12-2013 at 11:16

I did search for it before I made this topic, I didn't find much information except people Thinking it might be a good country for home chemistry.

Mailinmypocket - 19-12-2013 at 12:05

I will be going on 15 years of serious amateur chemistry, never had a problem. Bought many times on eBay and other suppliers, imported glass and chemicals, never problems with that either, even the packages opened by customs came through just fine.

Be safe, don't let your hobby disturb other people's peace and quality of life with noise, smells, etc etc and you should be fine. It is not an illegal hobby. Dispose of waste properly.... I could go on but as it has been said above UTFSE. Search for topics relating to home chemistry in regards to safety and storage, don't just search for Canada specific topics.

DraconicAcid - 19-12-2013 at 12:16

When I lived in Edmonton (early, mid-nineties), there was a home chemist who neutralized a solution of ammonia with concentrated hydrochloric acid. The cloud of ammonium chloride that we all expect in this reaction was seen by a neighbor, who called 911 and reported it as an explosion. He had improper storage and waste disposal practices, so he was not merely shut down- he was stomped pretty hard.

alexleyenda - 19-12-2013 at 13:54

thanks for your informations, it helps !

Fantasma4500 - 20-12-2013 at 09:15

attempting to gather an overview of worldwide regulations on energetic materials i came to understand that canada allows synthesis of smaller amounts of energetic materials, to be disposed of when synthesized and to be kept in a small amount
so small amounts of energetics you can get away with, but theres chemphobia all around the world -- people watch movies and TV

alexleyenda - 21-12-2013 at 11:03

Haha people watch movies and TV indeed :p By the way your signature is awesome.