Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Suitable reagents for Hydrazine Sulfate Synthesis via Ketazine

BobD1001 - 14-11-2013 at 23:16

I am looking to produce Hydrazine Sulfate in order to make a copper mirror. I have all the needed reagents, aside from the 10% NaOCl, to follow nurdrages excellent video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB7vwIFCnR0

Well today in a quick stop at ace hardware I came across this gallon of Liquid Chlorinator for $4, stated to be 10% NaOCl. Being a pool product, I thought surely there are likely some impurities aside from water. When looking through the MSDS information sheets I could find, I typically found NaOCl (Duh!), NaCl, and NaOH as the other listed components. Would it be likely that any of these might interfere with the process to any large extent? I am not worried about the NaCl, as NaOCl eventually decomposes into NaCl anyways.

The MSDS can be found here.

Here is a picture of the incredible bargain $4.00 Gallon of Sodium Hypochlorite.

bfesser - 15-11-2013 at 10:19

Like many of his other videos, NurdRage took inspiration from this website. See the threads linked to in his video description.

bbartlog - 15-11-2013 at 13:34

If the MSDS is accurate, it should work fine. It's always good to try and match the concentrations used if you're trying to reproduce someone's work, especially for a synthesis like this where side reactions are a potentially serious problem for your yield.
That said, this is not 'an incredible bargain', just a normal price. You can probably do slightly better on a cents-per-mole basis by buying 8.25% bleach from Wal-Mart.

chemrox - 15-11-2013 at 13:47

Is $4 a gallon for 10% hypochlorite a good deal? This is one case I wish NurdRage wouldn't attribute his sources. I don't want everyone on YouTube flocking here. Maybe we should post a welcome sign: "No Drug Manufacture Discussions Here!" And refer them to bluetube.ru or whatever it's called if that's what they come for.

BobD1001 - 15-11-2013 at 20:59

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
Is $4 a gallon for 10% hypochlorite a good deal? This is one case I wish NurdRage wouldn't attribute his sources. I don't want everyone on YouTube flocking here. Maybe we should post a welcome sign: "No Drug Manufacture Discussions Here!" And refer them to bluetube.ru or whatever it's called if that's what they come for.

Yes I truly agree with that statement. We do not need any more people bringing a negative name to the chemistry hobby; although at the same time I surely do not believe Nurdrage had any negative intentions. I did think that $4 a gallon was quite a good deal, as its quite a large supply that will hopefully last me a very long time, given that I can keep it cold to prevent decomposition of the NaOCl.