Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Cool coil lifespans?

Funkerman23 - 1-10-2013 at 22:55

This may be a bit anal but I can't be the only one who's wondered this: Compared to liebigs, allihns and the rest what is a reasonable life time for a cool coil( read: coolant flows through the coil not around it)condenser?Or for that matter glass coils in general? I ask as I own a jacketed cool coil from Roccoware and moving it around I here the tiniest 'ring" of the coils touching the pinched in part of the class. Overtime wouldn't that tiny movement build up some stress? eh, forgive me if this is a bit annoying but I was curious if anyone out there had some experience with these things long term. May your yields be high and my you find all that you seek.

Dr.Bob - 2-10-2013 at 11:06

I have had coil condensers that I have used for 20+ years. The only time I have hurt them was dropping on the floor. You could theoretically break one by putting too much water pressure on it, but even that takes some real work, unless you are really being careless. I have seen a few col condensers break in shipping, that would be due to someone dropping the box, and if the coil is too free moving, it can break then, even if padded well. Some people will put a piece of paper or something like that in between the coil and the sides if they can fit it in when moving. But they are pretty strong. I do prefer the ones with coils that are not to large that they rattle and touch the sides, but I have had a few; again, they will still normally last a long time unless dropped.

Mailinmypocket - 2-10-2013 at 11:15

I think I know what you are talking about. See the pic below. Where the outside of the condenser has indents or small bumps inside, you hear a small "ting" if you flick the condenser and whatnot? Don't worry about that, as long as you are gentle with the condenser and don't expose it to huge thermal gradients like refluxing high boiling point solvents with ice cold water or other coolant going through the coils. Generally these condensers are used when you are refluxing very low boiling point materials (or distilling, but this is a reflux condenser- anyways...)

Treat them carefully and you need not worry, mechanical shock is the biggest problem.

image.jpg - 72kB

I am more worried about the coil on a graham condenser like this one below breaking from mechanical shock, tap on it and you can hear the coil vibrate- yikes!

image.jpg - 72kB

Edit: Dr.Bob beat me to replying ;)

[Edited on 2-10-2013 by Mailinmypocket]