Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Synthesis/nitration of SHN

Fantasma4500 - 5-9-2013 at 06:51

hello.. i have tried nitration of sorbitol some times..
the procedure sounds very straightforward.. roughly written below

nitration mixture, add sorbitol with cooling (some say keep below 10*C some say it only reacts at 15*C to 50*C, 10*C+ doesnt seem to do anything dangerous tho)
then its diluted with abit of water, heated to 40*C where the SHN will drop to the bottom as a oily substance, it can from here be extracted with a syringe and dumped into EtOH and later on NaHCO3

however..
i havent seen much of this oily liquid, its like the whole thing decides to break away? ive tried it many times, and i have gotten results, but were talking 0.005g or some, that was so small i couldnt even dry it etc
another time i did find some grease on the bottom of a beaker (which tastes horrendous btw)
i dissolved it in ethanol and 'recrystallized' it
but..
the particles were microscopic and after i let it settle for 1 week, i found this greasy substance on the bottom again? it was supposed to be crystals after EtOH recrystallization

to sum up: have anybody on here had success with SHN? (:

Pulverulescent - 5-9-2013 at 11:31

I can't see nitrosorbite being particularly interesting as an HE, but there's this thread!

Fantasma4500 - 7-9-2013 at 01:32

hmh
late reply -- sorry
actually it has found use in gunpowder as an excellent additive, plus sorbitol is very close to mannitol, also the nitro ester, although SHN i have read to have a lower density than MHN, making it less brisant and having a lower VoD (300-350m/s per 0.1g approx)

anyhow i have been through the thread, but seemingly missed the part about the anhydrous HNO3 (and oleum..??)
i didnt find it specifically described anywhere to use such high conc. HNO3 although, and i remember seeing another member stating that SHN is hard to fully nitrate..
guess SHN is what you make when you have 99% HNO3..
although one time when i turned the beaker around when nitration mix was dumped in water, i did see some oily liquid on the bottom of the beaker