Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Dissolution of cellulose in NaOH

Eddygp - 27-5-2013 at 12:56

The way I came up with this was quite funny. I was going to label a concentrated NaOH solution but I had run out of labels so I used paper instead. When I was writing it, it flew over the flask and fell into the solution. I grabbed a rod to pull it out and, voilĂ ! it broke up as if it were a soapy sludge. I have done this now with more cellulose just for the fun of "dissolving" it and it has turned out that this is known. I have thought about the possibility of making nitrocellulose using this slurry and then dry it or something to get a nitrocellulose "brick". Interesting, huh.

Oscilllator - 27-5-2013 at 23:43

not really doable since you would have to remove the NaOH before nitrating with acids,and that would bring the cellulose out of "solution."
on another note, the is some crazy copper hydroxidey complexey thing called schweisers reagent that can dissolve cellulose. But the cellulose falls out of solution when this is acidified as well (presumably because of the neutralisation of the hydroxides in there.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizer's_reagent

EDIT: You could obtain an nitrocellulose brick quite easily by dissolving the nitrocellulose in acetone, then evaporating the solvent.

[Edited on 28-5-2013 by Oscilllator]

ScienceSquirrel - 28-5-2013 at 09:52

Nitrocellulose can be easily made in to films and solids.
A disadvantage is it's extreme flammability.
I believe some table tennis balls are still made of it and they do form a small fireball when ignited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulose_nitrate#Uses

Fantasma4500 - 2-6-2013 at 05:45

i once tried conc. H2SO4 on cellulose, it formed tiny little fibres in which i could filter out by after nitration i wasnt impressed.. i wanted to see if it was possible to create cellulose carbonate.. didnt seem like it was.. ohwell

also ping pong balls are as much as 80% NC, the 20% is ... cant remember it sorry, but the alloy so to call it is called celluloid and was used back in time also for bicycle handles
it can be used for binder when dissolved in acetone (or well.. made into a gel) and a composition is mixed in, upon drying it hardens and snaps if you apply enough force

ive even seen AP as in the primary being made into a solid using ''NC lacquer'' from ping pong balls, blows up on contact with flame
apart from that its pretty fun playing around with in general as it burns pretty well