Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Buying Tertiary alcohol

sorrydnoodle - 23-4-2013 at 23:15

Anybody knows where I can find some Tertiary alcohol to buy in Europe, relatively small amounts, 10-50 cl is all that is needed.

Pyro - 24-4-2013 at 02:46

http://www.hinmeijer.nl/Search/1.aspx?keyword=tert-butanol
thats 1000ml however. but its a reasonable price. try ebay too
(trying to make K?)

sorrydnoodle - 24-4-2013 at 04:48

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro  
http://www.hinmeijer.nl/Search/1.aspx?keyword=tert-butanol
thats 1000ml however. but its a reasonable price. try ebay too
(trying to make K?)

Indeed I am, trying to make some of my own Potassium Nitrate out of it for fun to use in my rockets, thanks mate, hope it works.

Pyro - 24-4-2013 at 04:51

Uhm, how do you hope to use K to make KNO3? sorry but thats just plain stupid :)
mix KOH and HNO3 to make KNO3. you only need t-BuOH to make metallic potassium.

MrHomeScientist - 24-4-2013 at 05:33

Agreed, the potassium synthesis is fraught with difficulty (some have tried it dozens of times, at 4 hours run time each, with no success), especially if you goal is a relatively easy to obtain chemical. Like Pyro said, KOH and HNO3 is a good route. I've also used NH4NO3 (from instant cold packs) and KCl. Also, some types of stump remover are almost entirely KNO3 - check the label and MSDS.

sorrydnoodle - 24-4-2013 at 06:57

Uhm, how do you hope to use K to make KNO3? sorry but thats just plain stupid :)
mix KOH and HNO3 to make KNO3. you only need t-BuOH to make metallic potassium.

I haven't really looked into that part yet^^ my main goal right now is to make potassium metal, if i am unable to make KNO3 with it i'll just throw it in a lake and watch the spectacles.

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.

Pyro - 24-4-2013 at 10:47

Kewl?

just make KNO3 with the methods suggested above. Making K is difficult, expensive and dangerous.

sorrydnoodle - 24-4-2013 at 23:02

Kewl?

just make KNO3 with the methods suggested above. Making K is difficult, expensive and dangerous.

That's why I want to make it my good sir (: