Sciencemadness Discussion Board

DIY blast/splatter shield

mayko - 16-3-2013 at 13:44

I put this together out of some scrap wood and a shatterproof glass refrigerator shelf. Originally, it was just conceived of as a markerboard, and it still retains that function, but I've also started to get good mileage as a shield against splattering chemicals or unruly redox reactions.

Pictured is the plume left after I ignited a magnesium/permanganate mix. Glad the shield was in place!

blastscreen.jpg - 108kB

Fantasma4500 - 16-3-2013 at 13:50

magnesium / permanganate flash??
nah.. just keep the sorroundings lower than the plate or whatever you use to ignite it on and then you should be fine.. you dont need to be close to it, but ofcourse if it doesnt selfconfine it could be fun to stand much closer to the flash to see the reaction so to say better..
where did you get plexiglass from anyways?

mayko - 29-3-2013 at 07:55

Heh... it certainly is fun to see the reaction up close, but I didn't see a lot else for the next minute, other than a big green cloud in my vision. Perhaps not such a great idea; if I'd started a fire or gotten hurt I might not have been able to see well enough to handle it.

It's real glass, but a very tough kind. It was a shelf in an old refrigerator. You can also write on it with markers or highlighters, so the next one I build will likely have a couple of built-in UV LEDs for fluorescent note-taking.

Edit: like this

[Edited on 29-3-2013 by mayko]

Hexavalent - 29-3-2013 at 08:20

I built a crude blast screen by finishing some scrap wood, and L-bracketing a sheet of 8mm acrylic (Perspex) to it. Here it is in front of the ball-mill I am developing:

I also like to write reaction schemes on the front of my hood (again, acrylic), which can be removed manually by wiping quite firmly with a paper towel:

[Edited on 29-3-2013 by Hexavalent]

[Edited on 29-3-2013 by Hexavalent]