Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Does liquid fuel burns with solid oxidizers ?

KonkreteRocketry - 1-3-2013 at 13:10

I bought a Bitumen paint that is around

70% Naptha, (Hydrocarbons ranging from 5-12 carbon atoms, so c5h12 to c12h26)

and around 30% Bitumen

So, the bitumen and my solid oxidizer(KNO3) can bind and solidify to become a solid propellant, but since there are so many naptha, which is a liquid but solidified due to bonds of bitumen and KNO3, will it burn with the KNO3 ?

hissingnoise - 2-3-2013 at 06:10

Some older composite propellants contained bitumen and perchlorate so yes, it will burn but may be difficult to ignite . . .

KonkreteRocketry - 2-3-2013 at 08:27

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Some older composite propellants contained bitumen and perchlorate so yes, it will burn but may be difficult to ignite . . .

but they had no naphtha

Simbani - 2-3-2013 at 09:10

No I donĀ“t think it will burn, and for sure not with KNO3 as an oxidizer. I doubt even KClO3 would work due to the high naphta content, but try it out instead of making a new, pointless thread :mad:

hissingnoise - 2-3-2013 at 09:20

If the mix solidifies on standing it will burn ─ applying enough localised heat might be hit-and-miss, though!

kristofvagyok - 2-3-2013 at 15:03

Long-long ago I have made a rocket fuel what contained solid KClO3 and a longer chain alcohol, BuOH, ect. It was perfect til it didn't contained any air bubble in it.

KNO3 is a weak oxidizer for this, and needs a really high temperature to burn with the naphta, but with chlorates, perchlorates it could work. The most important thing is that never ever try it in big, max 1g.