Sciencemadness Discussion Board

why is baume used instead of cm/3

CHRIS25 - 6-2-2013 at 05:22

Wikpedia does not help here and a web search did not help, so; all I wish to know is why the density value of Baume is used instead of g/cm3 to indicate density? I keep reading ferric chloride 45 baume for example and I do not know what this means.

Magpie - 6-2-2013 at 09:39

http://www.oecfh.com/downloads/specific-gravity-conversion-t...

There are several such density scales (eg, Brix for sugar, API for petroleum, Twadell, etc) used in industry. They are still used out of habit or some people may just prefer to read the expanded scale of Baume which gives more readable numbers. Which is easier "Baume 13" or "sp. gr. 1.021"?

Establishment of a density scale is arbitrary and some were developed for convenient use in a particular industry. Once these scales get imbedded in an industry and all of their literature, reports, letters, and personnel training they don't go away easily or quickly.

You could equally well ask the question of why does the US not use the metric system vs the old archaic, awkward English system of units. The answer would be the same.

[Edited on 6-2-2013 by Magpie]

Endimion17 - 6-2-2013 at 12:21

Baume is not used in the chemical laboratories anymore. It's however used when quick determination is needed, usually in the factory where something is produced. But for serious scientific study, no.

CHRIS25 - 6-2-2013 at 13:03

Thankyou both, that clears it up. And that reference is great, exactly what I am looking for, thankyou. Oh, the archaic? We love archaic. Anything that defies Europe...our system was built on the roman measurements - eg, 1764 yards is a mile, a roman mile, because it took 1764 roman steps to make a mile, and it goes on, quite the charm really.