Sciencemadness Discussion Board

gas tower

shadow - 24-12-2012 at 06:15

In this procedure below for the production of furan:

In a 200-cc. round-bottomed flask is placed 80 g. (0.68 mole) of crude 2-furancarboxylic acid (p. 276) (usually about 95 per cent pure). To the neck of the flask is fitted an upright tube 2.5 cm. in diameter and 15 cm. long, with a side arm of the same diameter leading out about 2 cm. from the top of the tube. This side arm is extended into the bottom of an efficient (25-cm.) soda-lime tower (Note 1) immersed in a water bath held at 40° to prevent condensation of the furan. From the top of the soda-lime tower an outlet tube (0.5 cm. in diameter) is extended to the top of an upright water condenser, to the lower end of which is attached a receiving flask surrounded by ice and salt (Note 2).

The glassware described indicates a horizontal tube approx. 1" diameter extending into the bottom of a tower.
I don't have a tower, but the ones I see online have barbed gas fittings for tubing. They also have a narrow section at the lower area of the tower.
1.) Is the narrow section necessary?
2.) Can I just make up tower with some straight tubing for the horizontal part, and tee it into say an allihn condenser or just strait tubing for the vertical part?
3.) Would I just purchase the tower, and just choke down the horizontal part?

This procedure was written over 70 years ago. Were they doing things differently then?

Thanks ahead,

shadeux