Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Very odd reaction

Nickbb - 6-12-2012 at 13:57

I've noticed that when you dissolve iron out, which is sodium metabisulfite and sodium hydrosulfite, and then dissolve sodium bisulfate in it it will suddenly turn dark orange and then slowly turn clear. What could possibly be going on here??

Poppy - 6-12-2012 at 15:53

Pardon me for asking to reformulate, not the question specifically, but the event you reported if you tell a little more about how you dissolved the iron, would be cool.
Iron has a rather not well undestood chemistry in aqueous solutions, its important to clarify the very conditions of the experiment so we put our Vac's close to an idea.

UnintentionalChaos - 6-12-2012 at 16:01

Quote: Originally posted by Poppy  
Pardon me for asking to reformulate, not the question specifically, but the event you reported if you tell a little more about how you dissolved the iron, would be cool.
Iron has a rather not well undestood chemistry in aqueous solutions, its important to clarify the very conditions of the experiment so we put our Vac's close to an idea.

There is no iron present.

Without pointing to any specifics, it is probably an intermediate in the acidic decomposition of the hydrosulfite.

watson.fawkes - 6-12-2012 at 16:06

Quote: Originally posted by Nickbb  
I've noticed that when you dissolve iron out, which is sodium metabisulfite and sodium hydrosulfite
Do you mean to dissolve the iron out of some solution, or do you mean "Iron Out", a brand named product that scavenges dissolved iron? I suspect the latter, but without using capitalization or even, egads!, explaining that it's a consumer product, the responses you get may not be as helpful as you would like.

Nickbb - 6-12-2012 at 16:14

It is the product Iron Out